Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Ballpark needle settings for stock Muggy

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Ballpark needle settings for stock Muggy

Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
chilly460

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballpark needle settings for stock Muggy

Hello all, first post. My wife got me a redcat tsunami for xmas that has had some issues, so I picked up a Muggy at the LHS. Fired it up for the first time today using Losi recommended 4turns on high speed, 2.5turns on low speed needles. It fired up fine which is all I cared about initially. It's an absolute slob though with these settings, it's spitting raw fuel out the exhaust. Also, as the fuel gets low, it definitely gets more responsive, so obviously it needs to be leaner. I've turned it 1/4 turn on HS, and 1/8 on LS and it helped a bit on the second tank. For a reference, what are you guys running stock Muggy's at as far as needle settings?

Also, I've read all about the clutch issues...but I just wanted to ask, is there quite a bit of slip off idle on a brand new clutch? I realize it's totally different deal, but on the Tsunami it's very responsive off idle and locks up without killing the motor. The Muggy just sits and revs a bit before moving out. I'm only through the second tank so I didn't want to give it too much gas to see if the clutch will lock up, but just wanted a frame of reference. This is the first RC with central diff I've driven so I didn't know if that "slips" as well, or just acts as a differential. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
binaryterror

Default RE: Ballpark needle settings for stock Muggy

You need to run rich for break in...please tell you already broke the engine in.

Also there is no reference, needles change from engine to engine, fuel type and glow plug model. And then don't forget the temp and humidity.

Read the manual to see how it should be broke in and run. Once broke in you'll have to tune the engine. The simplest way is with a temp gun and keeping the engine between 220-270 for safe temps.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
chilly460

I'm still breaking it in right now, just running in circles at very light throttle.

I just bought a pyrometer and will use that to fine tune.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM
ericem

Sounds good. Stock settings are 4 turns out on high speed needle (about flush with housing) and 2 turns out from bottom on low speed. Be sure after each tank to set the piston to bottom dead center and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM
bellp

I just recently broke in my muggy and it did have some slip on idle. So far I have about a gallon in her and no issues with the clutch. I know they updated the parts to a 12 tooth bell and long wear shoes.