Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Getting back into the hobby, need a replacement for my old GS Storm.

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Getting back into the hobby, need a replacement for my old GS Storm.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 AM
JMcDonald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby, need a replacement for my old GS Storm.

Ive got an old Nitro Rustler with several mods (a good 7 years old or so) and a GS Storm (about 4 years old). I am letting my long-time best friend / roommate drive the Rustler for now, and having been spoiled by the overall better performance of the Storm, I dont really want to go back to an ST, especially a 2WD one. I want to replace my Storm soon simply because I know Ill probably break something on it soon, and I wont have access to replacement parts (the LHS doesnt even carry GS stuff anymore). The OFNA buggies seem to be pretty popular, and being that I am just getting back into this and am trying to pace myself, the lower cost of their basic models is attractive. However, at least is the case with my LHS, support for the OFNA buggies is limited. It seems they carry mostly Traxxas and HPI stuff, with Losi coming in third, so that pretty much eliminates 1/8 scale buggies, at least within a reasonable price range.

Here is what I liked about my Storm:

1) Compact suspension made it quite durable for bashing (a theory for which I have found support here).
2) I like the overall look and layout of buggies, and always have, even since I got my first ERustler at age 9 .
3) 4WD really spoiled me for bashing, heh.
4) Relatively easy to be competitive at local tracks.

I *like* the idea of racing, although in all honesty, in the few years of driving the Rustler, I only raced it a few times at a real track (I.E. not the parking lot in from of my LHS), and it was always for fun, and I never really expected much out of it. I dont think I ever even got around to Racing the storm, heh. So really, for the most part I like bashing (specifically big jumps), with the possibility of being mildly competitive if I try to race every once in a while.

Id say that at my "RC Peak," both my driving skill and mechanical ability / understanding were about 7-8 out of 10. I started with the aforementioned Electric Rustler (RTR), then after a few years upgraded to a Bandit (KIT) (basically the same car, just liked the look better and wanted a change). Then I had the Nitro rustler (RTR) for a few years, sold it and bought an XXX-NT (RTR). That fell out of the back of our truck on the highway a few months later, and it eventually got replaced with the Storm (RTR), which was used for about a year before I put it all away and got into real cars. However, I dont have the time or money (or the desire to change that) anymore to maintain a hobby car, so here I am. With that said, if I buy something new, I will probably be buying a kit (I already have an XR3 Synthesized radio, and could steal the high-torque servos and receiver off the Storm). Otherwise, Id probably look for a used car or a new/used rolling chassis on ebay. Doesnt matter too much if it comes with an engine or not. FYI: Right now I am in school studying medicine, so Id like something that doesnt have to be modded and fixed all the time, as I dont know how much free time Ill have in the first place, and would not want to spend it all at the bench.

Here are the main options I am looking at:

HPI Savage (not sure which model, I guess whichever one is available now):
Pros:
-Seems to be a really tough truck for bashing.
-Good support.
-Almost guaranteed a racing class.

Cons:
-Seems difficult to be competitive in racing (not a huge deal, but at least Id like to avoid getting laughed off the track).
-More expensive.
-More complexity with the 2-speed transmission. It has been mostly recommended that 2-speeds arent very good for offroad cars anyways, but maybe they've gotten better.

HPI MT2 Truck:
Pros:
-It should have the more "light and nimble" feel of the buggy.
-Cheapest Option.

Cons:
-From my reading, it doesnt seem to be as tough as your average 1/8 buggy or monster truck.
-Might not have as much support.
-Probably wont be allowed to race at any of the local tracks (they take their racing pretty seriously it seems) due to being 4WD.

Traxxas Tmaxx:
Pros:
-Better Handling than the savage.
-Probably the best support of any of the options.

Cons:
-Apparently needs lots (or, at least, more) of mods to be a real strong basher.
-Most complexity with 2-speed trans with reverse.

Losi 8ight:
Pros:
-From what I read, it is a real nice vehicle. I assumed that anyways, though, from my experience with the XXX-NT.
-Whether I got the Truggy or Buggy version, a racing class is almost guaranteed due to the increasing popularity of the Truggy.
-Simpler and more predictable single-speed transmission.

Cons:
-Obviously, cost. However, it seems popular enough and / or old enough that they seem consistantly available on ebay for reasonable prices.
-Probably not as tough as the savage, especially in Truggy form.

HPI Hellfire:
Pros:
-Probably a nice truck, although I actually just found it while typing this post, so I dont really know anything about it yet, heh.
-Again, like the 8eight, almost guaranteed a racing class.
-Single-speed transmission.

Cons:
-Maybe less support from the LHS.
-Pretty far out my budget for now. Threw it in there because its HPI. However, unlike the 8ight, it seems too new (or not popular enough) to find them used on ebay, so I wouldnt be able to catch a break there.
-Maybe not as tough as the Savage which, in this list, seems to be the vehicle to beat as far as durability goes.

My first choices would be the Savage or the 8ight buggy. The savage for its durability and aptitude for bashing, and the 8ight for its better race-readiness (and because it can be found used for compariable prices).

The MT2 seems like it would be a fun all-around basher, and has the advantage of being cheaper by a good margin, but would probably not be a choice. It probably cant stand up to the 1/8 scale stuff in harsher environments (maybe a buggy, but not the trucks), and also can't be raced. Probably wont get into the TMaxx, as its handling benefits over the Savage dont, to me, outweigh its lower durability and simplicity. If I really wanted an MT that handled well it seems like a Revo would be a better choice. The Hellfire really is just something I threw out there, and is probably not something Id get even in a future in which I was in the market for something like that (unless it turned out to actually be better than the other ~$600 truggies).

And, really, it doesnt HAVE to be supported at my LHS. Obviously, chances are that even with the most well-supported vehicle, Id still sometimes break parts that the LHS doesnt carry and end up having to order it anyways. So, if there is some other perfect vehicle for me (preferably 1/8 buggies) that has good parts support from a reliable online store, then by all means please share!

Sorry for the long-winded post. Is there anything you guys can add that could help my choice?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:12 AM
snoking16

Default RE: Getting back into the hobby, need a replacement for my old GS Storm.

if your thinking truggy the st-1 is only $289 on amain and is built like a brick **** house. i think they are going for over $700 at tower hobbies. its a fine piece of work. only drawback is the reciever. although it is better then the traxxas TQ3

and what about the revo? its got revolutionary suspension.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

Default RE: Getting back into the hobby, need a replacement for my old GS Storm.

your best bet is to get a car\truck your lhs carrys the parts for. somthing you can mod in the future and that will have a reasonable resale value.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
baboso
Banned

Get a truggy , an st-1. If u like speed , great handling and do some bashing or racing and its built like a tank....ST-1!!!!

I have one and im telling u , its just awesome plus u can lots of hops for it like a 2 speed transmission!

Savage is also fun. Best truck for hops! its fun to bash it!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 PM
JMcDonald

Wow! How is the price so different between A-main and Tower Hobbies? I just called the LHS and he said Thunder Tiger only deals direct. scanning through A-main, it seems they have most if not all of the commonly required replacement parts (and some upgrades!), so I guess the online support is at least adequate (not to mention you guys recommended it in the first place)

1) How does the St-1 perform without the 2-speed? Id like to avoid one if possible, but I dont know how much the bigger tires of a Truggy affect acceleration (or breaking, or turning for that matter).

2) How does it perform over the 8ight? Still seeing the 8ight as a possibility via eBay, so that could make the 8ight (that is a hard word to get used to typing...) available for around the price of the ST-1. It also has the plus of LHS support, so that would be a plus. The ST-1 hardly makes an appearance on ebay. Does that mean it is simply new, or actually unpopular?

Thanks for the help! I guess I might end up with a Buggy (or even a Truggy) afterall!

*edit*

BTW, sorry for making the somewhat out-of-place thread in this forum. I only found it most relevant here since the Savage was one of my first choices, and also I was talking about off-road bashing, heh.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
baboso
Banned

in europe the St-1 is very popular and now america is catching its fever. Mine has no 2 speed transmission , I just installed a new pipe , a 2035 , and this thing goes like 55 mph it seems like.

"Out of the box, the ST-1 performs like a pro. With few minor adjustments, it will handle like I want. This truggy have a lot of potential and can win against any other truggies available on the market. I feel in love with the ST-1, it so easy to drive and it never get out of shape.

After a complete day at the track, nothing broke or even get loose. Steering is as tight as new and all other components still like new. I had to glue a font tire after a hard contact with a piece of wood. Engine is still running strong and seems to run forever, no overheating and continue to run perfectly even after 8 consecutive fuel tanks.

During winter, I'll install the front sway bar, fill the diffs with oil and install Crime Fighter MT and the ST-1 will be ready for the next race season.

If you are on the market to get a great, tough and race oriented truggy, go with the Thunder Tiger ST-1, you won't regret it. Thunder Tiger supports the ST-1 with a wide range of hopup parts for any of your needs."

steering
I have few 180 degrees tight turns on my track, some of them have ruts and never the ST-1 got out of shape. On power steering was a bit touchy because of the light center diff grease but thicker oil will prevent the truck from pushing too much. Off power steering was just like I like it and let the ST-1 entered any corner with ease and speed. When I entered tight turns from the inside, I applied a little bit of brake to swing the rear end.
I found the stock steering servo saver a bit soft, it's not big deal, just tight few turns and it will be perfect.

Stock steering servo did a great job, enough torque to keep front wheels pointed where you want them. It's not the fastest servo on the market but it did his job perfectly. Nothing stops you to get a better servo and keep the steering servo as a spare for throttle and brake duties.

Stock tires did a nice job on my track, however I have a brand new set of Pro-Line's Crime Fighter MT with ST-1 offset wheels on my workbench. They will help to get even more corner speed. Installing the front sway bar will help too.

acceration and braking
I did two laps at low speed to familiarize with the truck. I didn't need more lap to realize how sure footed is the ST-1. At full speed in the straight the ST-1 still planted even over the ruts and I never needed to slow down or to correct his trajectory with steering inputs.

Acceleration was strong and it was really easy to clear all jumps. As expected the front wheels unloaded quickly because the center diff is filled with grease like many truggies on the market. Stock tires did a good job on my track surface and the ST-1 accelerated quickly. It took few seconds to reach top speed (37-38 MPH).

I ran the ST-1 like if I was in a race, after six tanks of race simulation, the ST-1 was still braking on a dime, no brake fade.

engineWith a fully charged glow starter and a full tank of 30% XP Fuel, I primed the carb until fuel entered the carb then I pulled the pullstart 2-3 times before I realized that there was too much compression/pinch and I didn't want to break the pullstart or the one way bearing, so I loosen the glow plug one turn and it was much easier to start the engine. Once the engine is started, tight the glow plug.

To broke in the engine, I let the engine run idle (200F-205F) on the ground, with few throttle inputs to keep it running, for the first tank, I let it cold with the piston at the bottom of the sleeve for 10 minutes. Then I restarted it and began to lean it at each tank until I got descent performance. After 6 tanks, it was time to hit the track. Read my Engine break-in procedure.

When I installed the body, I noticed that engine's temp were getting really high (280F) even with holes in the windshield and the driver's window. I had to improve engine's head airflow to lower the temp in the 240-250F by adding holes in the body.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
baboso
Banned

Even if the ST-1 is not the most popular truggy on the market, I still love my ST-1. His reliability makes this truggy one of the toughest on the market. I'm also impressed by how the ST-1 handles on the track. It was easy to put regular lap time and the ST-1 is predictable.

"This is just too bad that this truggy doesn't have all the exposure it should have. Richard Saxton did well with the ST-1. The ST-1 is a good racer and certainly the most underestimated truggy of all the market. This explains why there is not such resource available for the ST-1 on the web.

I'm proud to say that I love my ST-1 and I'm 100% satisfied."

For more information, visit www.acehobby.com

Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
baboso
Banned

go to MyRCBox.com if u want to learn more stuff abt this truggy
Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
snoking16

yeah....if you check out the truggy forums there is 60+ pages about the ST-1. its a great truck....i love mine.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
MGTmadman

Another option to consider is CEN Racing, they have a good fleet of vehicles to choose from. Also they have a vehicle trade in program, send in any old worn out R/C for a brand new CEN Nemesis MT, Matrix Arena TR (truggy) or the Matrix Buggy at a reduced cost, you would roughly save $100 to $160 over retail cost of buying from either an online hobby store or your LHS. Anyway just something else for you to consider.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Snaut Rocket

Dude out of all of those vehicles you listed there hard to compare caust there all in a different class.
8ight- Buggy
Savage- Mt
Mt2-ST
hell fire- truggy
I would stay away form the T-maxx.[:'(]
Out of all of the stuff i would choose the truggy. But not the Hellfire.
Truggy can race like a buggy Yet bash like a Mt.
Like stated below i would go with the St1.
Only 289 at tower and Is a proven winner. Needs very little work to become competive and is probably more durable than the savage.
And with that car dont worry about part support, You wont need "rarely".[8D]
But if you want to go with something from your list i would get the Hellfire or the Savage.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
hmott3

You can pick up a big block Savage X 4.6rtr for just about 400 on ebay brand new, and of course it already comes with a 2 speed. Or spend about 350 for a Savage X 4.6 Kit right now, on sale at SMF http://www.smfstore.com/product_info...roducts_id=770 . You can get a 3 speed if you want though. The seering servo sucks but so what you will be replacing it. The X fixes lots of problems with the original Savage but its still about as tough as can be out of the box. The thing is plenty capable of not having you laughed off the track unless is over your driving skills. I looked into the ST1 before I got my Savage but having pretty much NO lhs support keep me from getting it. I figured I would make up the price difference in shipping charges over a few months anyway. If I was in your spot I would be looking at one of these three: Savage X, LST2, and Revo. I want a second truck but it will be a Savage just because I already have one so spares will be easier to keep on hand.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:24 PM
SaVaGe MaN SS

yeah the st-1 is very cheap at amainhobbies right now i might have to pick one up
Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 PM
JMcDonald

Thanks guys for all the advice! I think Im confident enough in these new options to say that Ill end up with a buggy (or a Truggy), instead of having to settle for a substitute. Ive "narrowed" it down to the Losi ones, and the TTR ones. Ill make a thread in the buggy or Truggy section since I am now out of the relm of MTs.

Thanks a bunch everyone!