Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

TNX Engine Dinging.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
victor117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TNX Engine Dinging.

Hi i just bought a tnx 5.2r and it has a FR-32FX .32 engine in it. My problem is, when i turn the motor over with the rotor starter, the piston inside the engine sounds like it is hitting something, like making a 'dinging' sound. Is this normal because the motor is new and is tight and hasnt expanded? I'm using just the standard glowplug that the engine came with.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
ericem

Default RE: TNX Engine Dinging.

Definitely does sound normal.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:17 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: victor117

Hi i just bought a tnx 5.2r and it has a FR-32FX .32 engine in it. My problem is, when i turn the motor over with the rotor starter, the piston inside the engine sounds like it is hitting something, like making a 'dinging' sound. Is this normal because the motor is new and is tight and hasnt expanded? I'm using just the standard glowplug that the engine came with.

Thanks.

U might be tooo lean...or not have enough head clearance.....motor's are NOT suppost to ping.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
victor117

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: victor117

Thanks.

U might be tooo lean...or not have enough head clearance.....motor's are NOT suppost to ping.
thers no way its lean, its so rich that it spits out fuel, the car is brand new.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 PM
ThermalRD

Its likely the design of the roto plate, and the pin used to spin it over. Im willing to bet that design is similar to that which was in the older Savage motors. There was actually a pin, that sat in the crank where the connecting rod attached, it used a spring to apply pressure towards the roto unit. That roto unit would spin, and make alot of clicking because of that design. Was always funny to hear guys at the track hear me starting it, and say it was hitting the head. LOL. There would be ALOT of damage if it was hitting the head, or glo plug. Anyway, im guessing thats what your noise is. If i can find an exploded view of that old savage motor, i'll show ya what makes that noise. For that matter, i may still have that old motor here.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM
CBM Racing

Yar, Thermal has it right on the head. Most of my engines with roto start type systems make this noise as well when starting. I wouldn't worry unless you here it AFTER the engine starts.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:24 AM
victor117

Oh thats a releif, nah it doesnt do it when the engines purring, just a nice loud idle. On another note, if i take the glowplug out, it doesn't ding anymore. (Its got the original glowplug it came with it) I put in just another random OS #8 glowplug of my other car and it dinged with that in it to. Is it just dinging with the glowplug in it cos its got all the compression?

I think the cars alright, its done 4 tanks and its running good, very ****ing fast car i might add.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
ericem

Yup it is dinging because of all that compression