Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

parting out tmaxx.. this what you make

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

parting out tmaxx.. this what you make

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 PM
tmaxx_man87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parting out tmaxx.. this what you make

i looked up all the prices on ebay of used tmaxx 3.3 parts and used 3.3 parts, new all the parts add up to $505.00, and all the parts used cost $295.00, someone was talking about this yesterday on here and i wanted to do some research... the best profit is buying used and selling parts, usually you can pick up a maxx for around 200 used maybe less if its stock...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: parting out tmaxx.. this what you make

don't forget about the fees ebay charges to list all the parts. that's going to cut into any profits made
Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Ok, you pay $200 for a TMaxx. First off, you aren't getting a 3.3 TMaxx for $200, that is for sure. I see a bunch of them sell daily and they go for ~$250 for a GOOD deal. Most of them are usually around $275-$300 used. Add $15 for shipping.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that you buy a T-Maxx 3.3 complete for $200 + $15 shipping. You pay $215, and the average selling price of the parts is $295 based on your research. There is the potential to make $80. Take 10% right off the top for eBay and paypal fees. That leaves $72 total profit possible.

A very experienced person could disassemble the Maxx to it's individual selling modules in about an hour. It would take an hour to photograph and document all of the stuff you intend to sell, and another half hour-hour to get everything on eBay. After the auctions ended, you need to pack everything to ship. That takes a half hour-hour.

So you are 2 hours - 3 hours to go through all of the motions. You are looking at an ideal $24-$36/hour not including tools, electricity, packing materials, shipping overages and also when the Maxxes come to you in worse shape then advertised and some parts aren't worth selling. This also assumes a 100% sale rate on all of the individual Maxx parts which is impossible. Probably only 50-60% of the Maxx will sell during the first auction run. In this case you need to relist the parts possibly over and over which consumes more time and resources. You will probably end up making $12-$18 per hour working on the trucks. That's $24-$54 per parting TMaxx.

However, it's not like you have a 100% pipeline of 10 $200 TMaxxes arriving daily for consistent revenue. You may get 3-4 T-Maxxes a week for $200. So, parting 4 Tmaxxes a week will get you $96-$216. Parting 16 TMaxxes a month will get you $384-$864.

I don't know about you, but $864 doesn't go too far for me. Maybe it would be good for a teen or someone who pays no bills. It is a ton of work.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
DaveG55

Dale makes some very good points but he left out the biggest factor for me. As soon as you start buying truck to part out and selling the partd you've turned a hobby into a business. Something that you are obligated to do weather you're in the mood or not. Don't want to go to the post office today? Too bad, you have 10 orders that must be shipped or your feedback will get tanked. Now it's time to play with your truck...only you've been taking trucks apart all day and you just don't feel like fixing yours right now.
You've turned a hobby, something that should be relaxing, into a business. For me, that takes all the fun out of it.

I know, I did basically the same thing with jet skies a few years ago and now I still own 4 and have no desire to even ride one
Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM
tmaxx_man87

yeah i agree on the time,money and such but i dont agree about the price of used maxx, if i were to do it i wouldnt buy just one tmaxx alone in one auction, i would go for lots, like 2 maxes, parts ect,ect, i once seen 6 trucks/cars combo go for around 600 bucks, that was 2 maxxes and other varius nitro models, if at least half the parts were good, you would still make a profit... im not saying your wrong, im just saying theres better deals out there, and most maxx that you buy have aftermarket parts, if there any good keep them for personal use...just mho
Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 PM
tmaxx_man87

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huge-Lot-of-RC-c...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-TMAXX-ST...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sportwerks-Chaos...QQcmdZViewItem

theres examples of what id buy, i realize that the price will go up but im sure it will be alot cheaper than buying sepratly..
Old 01-24-2008, 04:39 PM
binaryterror

Only new parts bring in decent money on ebay...not used old crud.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
tmaxx_man87

the prices i got from used parts that are actual listings on ebay, so yes they are used parts and they sell for a little more than half the price of new parts... i found each individual part and wrote the price down, added it up and thats what i came up with, i did it for new and used price... i realize theres not much money in thies but ive found that trucks sell for alot more in the local papers than on ebay, its something new around here and young spoiled kids seem to like them... why i braught up this thread is im thinking of buying a couple big lots of trucks with my tax money and parting out/selling/fixing them and selling them.... i wont have much profit but with my job i have 4 days off a week so i have plenty of time...what does everybody think? dale, you have very good opinions and thaughts by the way...
Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 AM
megamaxx

oh yes,used parts sell,not everyone has the coinage to drop on new parts,so they go with a used part just so they can run.....
Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 AM
tmaxx_man87

i see people go into my lhs and drool over the traxxas cars/trucks,and they say"thats so expencive i dont have that much", i think that if i sold used trucks they would sell because for one, the guy that owns the lhs dont know crap, hes never torn down an engine or even worked on any trucks at all i dont think, i asked him if he could get me an o.s engine and he said"ive never heard of that before" im like what??, he looks them up and tells me he cant get em... the only aftermarket engine he has is a picco .26 and its been there for over a year, he wants almost 200 for it... and he dont even know what it fits in... he sells mostly trains and stuff like that..
Old 01-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Hairballusmaximus

tmaxx, I feel for you! sounds like you need to open a hobby shop. One of the 3 lhs we had shut down because he had no real knowledge of cars/trucks/boats just airplanes.