Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Hydroplaning

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydroplaning

Is it possible to hydroplane a monster truck over smooth water at full speed?

I have a few shallow ponds with flat banks, and for some reason a full-speed LST run over the water interests me, if it may be possible.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
The_Collector

Default RE: Hydroplaning

That's an expensive proposition. Maybe you want to buy a boat instead.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Redrawker

ORIGINAL: Matt_M

Is it possible to hydroplane a monster truck over smooth water at full speed?

I have a few shallow ponds with flat banks, and for some reason a full-speed LST run over the water interests me, if it may be possible.
Water is really hard on your truck. Define "shallow"
Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 AM
D4ng3r

do you have an extra 20 hours and 100 bucks to water proof stuff?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 AM
Matt_M

ORIGINAL: The_Collector

That's an expensive proposition. Maybe you want to buy a boat instead.
Heh...with one of my other hobbies being High Power Rocketry, a splash in water for a monster truck is hardly anything when compaired to losing a full-carbon rocket with electronics and custom motor casings.

Plus, seeing an LST hydro a pond is cooler than seeing a boat do it.

The depth doesn't really matter so long as I can find the truck and it's not incredibly deep. It's either staying on top, or going under.

But, what's so hard about water on a truck? I pressure wash my trucks and then spray them with WD40 and have had no problems anywhere.

And not to be rude, but I didn't ask for all of your splended opinions on what you guys would do with your trucks. I asked if it's possible to hydroplane a (4x4) truck.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Elite_Tux487

Theoretically it is....you see the full scale guys do it.......I would imagine it would be possible...but you would be winding out your motor to really high revs depending on how wide or long the pond is.....If you really don't have anything to loose give it a try and let us know how it goes
Old 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Matt_M

ORIGINAL: Elite_Tux487

Theoretically it is....you see the full scale guys do it.......I would imagine it would be possible...but you would be winding out your motor to really high revs depending on how wide or long the pond is.....If you really don't have anything to loose give it a try and let us know how it goes
That's what I was thinking. With our scale, our power to weight is far greater, as is our speeds to scale. You would imagine with those big balloon tires on the LST, a hydroplane should be easy, theoretically.

I'm going to try it over a deep long puddle in a field and see if it can stay on plane. If it can, I think I'm going to try getting it to work on a pond. However I probably won't get a chance very soon since it's the winter months now and our rain has somewhat diminished to find any large enough puddles.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
infernalstone

Well, let me put it like this.

A Clodbuster with sealed wheels will float, but at around 1/2 of the tires.

So, you're trying to take an LST, which is far heavier, and I think has less volume of air in the tires.

What I think will happen is that you'll get a few feet and sink your truck. You might could make it work with a full set of sand paddles, but since the truck won't float on it's own, I doubt that anything other than paddles will do enough to keep the truck moving forward. On momentum alone, I don't think it'll happen, just because the truck won't want to float anyways, so you'll need some sort of assistance.

However, I'm of the opinion that even with paddles and a really hot motor you're going to be fishing the truck out. If anything you'd probably want to try it with something lighter like a Revo or Magnum. I think they'd have a higher chance of success, just because difference in weight.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 PM
duckedup

He's not talking about just floating around, he's talking about hydroplaning at high speeds... Check out this vid - [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QBiBcK96Bs]Here[/link], so I don't see why one of these little ones couldn't do it too. Like stated earlier stated, our power to weight ratio is far better, and our wheels are a lot bigger (scale obviously).

and I agree, paddles would probably work best - w/ taped foams (or tires) and sealed. Or, IMEX tires with big lugs....and, make sure ya' get a vid if you decide to try this Matt_M!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 PM
infernalstone

I'm aware of what he's talking about.

It's not so much a power to weight ratio thing. At that point it's just about keeping your tires turning fast enough, and propelling you fast enough through the water. I don't think anything without paddles is going to keep you more foreward enough to force the tires up and out of the water.

With tires this small, you'd have to barely be in the water. If you look, those tires are what... 6 inches in the water? Now, go figure the angle of attack of the tires at that point. If it were to sink any lower, the resisting force of the water is going to scrub off all your speed, and you'll sink. I'm not saying that it's impossible. I'm just saying it's not likely.

Also, I'm going to wager that jeep is doing a LOT more than 40 when it hits that water.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Nick2618

awsome video and cool idea. TO retrive your truck incase the worse happens tie some fishing line on it. So you can pull it back to you.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:09 AM
tmaxx_man87

ive often wanted to try it with my maxx but id be afraid of ruining my motor.... cause water doesnt compress like fuel and air does so a few drops in the carb could mean broke rod or worse...ive seen it happen in a 1:1 car.. sucked water into the intake and boom...
Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Redrawker

Has anybody else seen that video of the Savage with Jumbo Kongs or some other type of huge tires floating on water? He seals and blows them huge in the beginning. I found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IcUWfztsE
Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: nick2618

awsome video and cool idea. TO retrive your truck incase the worse happens tie some fishing line on it. So you can pull it back to you.
WEll i dont think he's going to try it on a lake or somthing.
He said he had a little puddle.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I truly believe it's possible. It would probably work best with tires like the Pro-Line Road Rage's. Those are more like the tread design of a 1:1 car, and you may be able to plane better. But if you do this, you need very shallow and long body of water, perhaps what you would see in a large parking lot after it rains. Otherwise, it probably wont work. But try it. Get some onroad tread tires for your truck, find a very shallow and long body of water in a parking lot after it rains, and go for it. You will be going so fast, I highly doubt the inside of the truck will get very wet at all. Just be sure you put a bit more oil on your air filter.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Snaut Rocket

Hey jolly you get that pipe sent.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

Hey jolly you get that pipe sent.
Check your PM box. But it will get mailed by Tuesday. I'm really sorry about it taking so long. But trust me, you will get the pipe.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
89ram

i'm all for innovations in rc and elsewhere! you guys rock! keep the vids coming! i love it!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 AM
gigacrusher.28

hey do you think the gigacrusher tyres would do it cause thats what ive got i ve always wanted to try it and the tyres are stock and are kinda like paddles??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21061.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	810502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15100.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	810503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57600.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	810504  
Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 AM
tmaxx_man87

looks like it would work, the tires are pretty wide i think that is the main thing, its just like skipping a stone, if the wide side is down it will work but if the sharp edge hits the water it sinks...
Old 11-24-2007, 09:54 AM
jombo

yes the truck will hydroplane, i have done it in my backyard. when it rains here my backyard dosent drain properly because of high clay content under ground (about 2 ft down is clay)so it puddles in certain areas. i have hit these puddles at full throttle and mud and water spray everywhere and the rpm's on the engine run higher. thats when you need to feather the throttle or you will over rev the motor easily especialy after you leave the puddle and hit solid ground again. here is a pic after the mud playning i had the nemesis body on now that was fun but the cleaning never ends
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41280.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	810571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88769.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	810572  
Old 11-24-2007, 07:26 PM
gigacrusher.28

hmm fun during it and not fun while cleaning it! I wont get a chance to test it for a while as i live in aus and it has now gone into summer and im not guna try and do it on a deep lake/river as if it sinks there goes over $1000 aus. But one day i will
Old 11-24-2007, 08:55 PM
bud09

i read on this site hydroplaned through a good sized puddle, he said he used sand paddles and was able to steer it in the water, slightly though.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Thai

YES it WILL hydroplane.

Was out today doing it. The water was about 5-10" deep in some parts. All is fine afterwards too. The only thing I've noticed, is that it tends to bog down and stalls sometimes during the hydroplaning. I think it's because it's over-revving and spinning the tires as there is little resistance to the tires, or something. Anyways, here's my video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoaSx_CgHi8
Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 AM
tmaxx_man87

good vid, that water looked pretty deep when the truck went real slow near the edge... now im gonna have to try it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.