Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

How can I speed up my E-MAXX without going brushless?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

How can I speed up my E-MAXX without going brushless?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:56 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I speed up my E-MAXX without going brushless?

I, well it actually belongs to my wife, have a E-MAXX (not the new version) that is completely stock. What's a good way at a reasonable cost to increase performance? Not sure I want to dump money in a brushless setup at this time. Anyone make higher performance brushed motors? What about running LiPo batteries? Or would just a change in gearing be the ticket?

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: How can I speed up my E-MAXX without going brushless?

Any of the above would help (in addition to increasing voltage by adding cells) Lipos is probably the best bet as it may increase voltage (depending upon your existing voltage) while reducing the weight.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I'm running a couple mid-grade 6-cell NiMH packs right now. Would 7-cell NiMHs be better than a couple 7.4v LiPos?

Any suggestion on gearing? I'm an airplane guy, completely new to cars and trucks, and could use some suggestions to get me started.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I'd estimate they'd would be equal in speed.

For gearing you can go much higher if doing high sppeds runs and then use low if needed for bashing around. If going to 7 cell packs it will in a sense "gear it up" automaticaly.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Bria1

Good battery packs make a world of difference. Just going from some ok 6-cell packs to something like IB4200 6-cell packs will really wake the truck up. And if you go dual 7-cell packs with good batteries it's even better. I bumped the motor pinions up to 20 teeth and gained a fair amount of top speed. I also had the Novak Superduty XR ESC, so it could handle it. I wouldn't recommend gearing up and using 7-cells with the EVX. The EVX2 should be able to handle it though. A guy I work with put dual 12 turn titans from the newer Stampede in his E-Maxx and said it was crazy fast. But the motors couldn't handle the voltage, so they didn't last long. They may be ok at say 10-cells total though.