Name:	Ge65024.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	851825  
Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
binaryterror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is this truck???

I would not call that a knock off, its not.

Looks similar to the Mad Force, but the Mad Force never had cantilevers.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

What happened to the thread you originally started with this truck? Mods must have erased it?

I remember because I commented on the tiny differentials and how they were not proportional with the rest of the truck. Something just looks wrong with that truck. The cantilevers look like they don't mount very solidly and all of the plastic just looks cheap and chincy.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
zjwhitrock

ya it got deleted so i fugerd id repost it
Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

i like where they put the tank! but its a china knock off [:@]
Old 01-17-2008, 12:18 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not a knockoff unless you can find the vehicle they knocked off. I'm not saying its a great truck, I know nothing about it, but theres more to the RC industry than "the well known brands" and "the chinese crap". Any company anywhere in the world selling anything safe and legal deserves that much respect at least. And as for knockoffs, even that is an ambiguous term. Take a look at ANY industry, not just RC, and you'll see that not everyone is doing innovative R&D. In a free market its just the nature of the beast. I understand that it is very fashionable in the RC world to praise our favorite brands and bash Asian competitors, but consider this; how much innovation do we really see out of the brands we love? Frankly I feel that we're all just reinventing the wheel at this point, but theres nothing wrong with that. Economies thrive on minor differences and the choices that they provide. I whole heartedly believe that unless designs are patented, anyone has every right to use them. I do industrial design work, and frequently overall designs are taken and passed around. Its legal, its commonplace, and and it creates necessary competition. It's important to remember that the "designs" we see in RC cars are not really a matter of innovative intellectual property. Much of the circuitry in radio systems and ESCs are, and you don't see those being knocked off because they're protected under the law as proprietary technology. Overall mechanics like part placement, dimensioning, 4 wheels, etc are hardly trade secrets. If a design is good, stick with it, if it supports multiple enterprises, fine. In the case of RCs, the vehicles are not complicated enough (outside of component circuitry) to really allow for patenting, and thats why you rarely see it happen. I am not trying to create controversy, and I know that outsourcing, foreign labor markets, and import items are a really touchy subject for a lot of Americans these days. But I am trying to raise awareness that major issues like economics, trade, and intellectual property should be oversimplified into a standard xenophobic rant about Chinese manufacturers.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 AM
SaVaGe MaN SS

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Its not a knockoff unless you can find the vehicle they knocked off. I'm not saying its a great truck, I know nothing about it, but theres more to the RC industry than "the well known brands" and "the chinese crap". Any company anywhere in the world selling anything safe and legal deserves that much respect at least.
ur right man. but i does look like an xfactor in a way
Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
sheograth

It does a bit, yeah. The thing is, to add to my above behemoth of a post, is that broad design categories like such as solid axle suspension, swing arms, wishbones, etc are not patentable and protected. There simply arent that many ways to setup a 4 wheeled vehicle. In that sense, really broad automotive design isn't a matter of secrecy.

In the world of 1:1 vehicles, a Mercedes and a Kia both have alternators, internal combustion engines, 4 wheels, similar suspension, similar transmissions, and are laid out similarly. Thats because for the last 100 or so years, collectively the industry has refined the design. The innovation is in how individual components are designed. I have no doubt that Daimler Chrysler has patents on the nuances of their onboard computers, sensors, and all individual components - and if another brand were to copy those outright it would be illegal.

You don't see Toyota suing Honda for putting a differential between 2 driving wheels, just as you don't see Boeing suing Airbus for putting wings on their planes.

RC cars are so much more simple, so its easy to have many identical looking cars and trucks out there. Refinement takes place at a much more elemental level, ESCs, servos, motors, engines - thats where the differences are found, not in how the parts are laid out.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
The Mad Modder

Sheograth, basic standard components in an rc car are going to look similiar. After all, they ARE made to be able to be used by more that one car brand or model. The difference emerges when you look at the design of the car's chassis and configuration of the parts that it use. I own a Tamiya Double Blaze and my brother owns an HPI E-Savage. They are both dual motor 4wd monster trucks. Are they copies of each other? Heck, no!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:45 PM
sheograth

Thats exactly my point, and you see kids scream KNOCKOFF! when you see basic similarities like that.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

It's just a misused term, I think. Like engine and motor being used in the wrong situation.
I think this example is better termed a no-name truck.
Some cheap, Chinese company builds these and distributes to a dozen or so other small companies who in turn put on a sticker with the name they want it to have and pretend their company made it. I've seen this done with go-karts too.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 PM
dakota_davies

anything w/ a small engine (r/cs, dirt bikes, quads, go carts, mopeds, ect.) has no-name similaritys every where!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
snoking16

haha... a nitro crawler with a small cooling head. thats a brilliant idea

[&:][&:][&:][&:]