Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:33 PM
d16z6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx

Hi,

I am playing the role of the rc consultant helping my sister shop for a nitro MT for her bf. With her budget of ~$350 and from what he has looked at so far in the magazine ads, we have narrowed down our choices to the Duratrax Warhead Evo and the T-Maxx 2.5.

I've read both trucks have their fair share of problems but it's hard to see whether the root cause of those problems are the truck itself or the driver.

Given a beginner's driving style (nothing too aggressive), which of the 2 trucks will be more durable? Less headaches? Less initial upgrades? Easier for the noob to fix?

So far I know the warhead with it's TVP setup is logically more robust (yet the parts are cramped in) and has the added benefit of a bigger engine and metal shafts. However I've read a lot of horror stories with the first gen warheads and maybe some evo's. The Maxx on the other hand just seems to be the more popular choice but it may have it's own issues as well.

So what should I recommend?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:02 PM
atv_motocross#38

Default RE: Recommendations on a Warhead Evo or a 2.5 T-Maxx

I own a Warhead evo, and it is a great truck. My friend has a t maxx and he runs it once, and waits for parts, and runs it again and then waits for more parts. I say get the warhead. Good engine, pretty easy to drive, easy to tune...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
megamaxx

i have owned both,and both are good trucks.might i suggest that if this his first nitro r/c check the local hobby shop and see which truck they stock parts for.that was the only real trouble i ever had with my warhead,mail ordering parts.the warhead has a bigger engine,tougher frame design,longer wheel base than the maxx,which makes climbing hills a little easier,on the other hand the maxx,is lighter and a little quicker on the bottom end,and isnt as clumsy when it comes to handling at higher speeds,but either way he will have a blast!!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:58 PM
soulreaver0102

I HAVE BOTH TRUCKS WARHEAD EVO AND THE T-MAXX I LIKE THE LOOKS OF THE WARHEAD OVER THE T-MAXX BUT IF YOU ASK ME I WOULD SAY FOR SOMEONE WHO IS NEW AT THIS THE T-MAXX WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE ALSO ABOUT EVERY HOBBY SHOP STOCKS PARTS FOR TRAXXAS NOT TO MANY DOES STOCK WARHEAD PARTS. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 AM
cujoman

i have both as well... definitely the tmaxx for the first time truck and parts are available at every LHS.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 PM
91litesho

i have both as well. along with a revo3.3 and a nitro 4-tec 3.3 AND 2.5... i have yet to call on duratrax , but when ive called on traxxas theyve been there ... they have awesome customer suport. ive heard the same 4 duratrax , i jus got it so theres been no need for customer support. i will say which ever you get register it. if its new ofcourse... as others have said. chech your local hobby shop , get something that they stock parts for. SUPPORT the hobbyshop and the hobby. and the parts will be there. i personally think traxxas has the market cornered. if more people NEEDED parts for the warhead , and made it known to the LHS . they WOULD start carrying it. luckily for me my LHS carries parts for all my vehicles.
FIRST truck..... id say the traxxas brand, good starter truck. and ALOT of support. just look at this forum... lol theres a HPI. and a TRAXXAS sub forum, wheres duratrax ?
good luck with your choice. he should have fun either way . tell ya sister to put a card in there with the addy www.rcuniverse.com on there and to join!! like to hear what HE thinks of his new found hobby
Q
Old 01-12-2008, 03:03 PM
motodude11
My Feedback: (1)

I got the 3.3 tmaxx and it spanks my warhead, definitely get a tmaxx
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
HpiDrifter420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the tmaxx 2.5