Redharris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Easiest Platform to Wrench on?

I'm wantin to add a 1/8 Monster truck to my collection (dont have one yet) for Bashin n Jumpin and just General Mayhem. Ive looked at pictures of the most common Trucks (Traxxas, HPI, Asociated, Duratraxx). I'm wondering which Truck is the easiest (most accesible ) to work on and do Maintanence (disassembly,cleaning, reassembly).
From the pictures ive seen, it looks like Traxxas (T-Maxx) and Asociated are based on Flat chassis and mite be easier to wrench on than the HPI.(Savage). The Cen seems to be somewhere between the others for ease of Maintanance. But I dont know and thats why im asking for opinions.
P.S. Im not trying to start a Flame war here. Im not asking which is BEST or FASTEST. ALL these trucks are great, and perfomance depends on engines size and Tuning expertise and how you drive. You may have the best truck in the world, but maybe its a little tougher to work on than your OTHER truck. ( and maybe it s worth it) THATS what i want to hear about!
That Said....I appreciate your input.....
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 AM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Easiest Platform to Wrench on?

My opinion: it doesn't matter. None are significantly easier or more difficult than the others to work on.. I have a Savage, LST2, Muggy, truggy, and 1/10 onroader. Of those, the LST2 is probably the hardest to work on - but then, it's the best of them all... And it's not THAT much harder - it just has more stuff on it(especially the New Era roll-bar, which makes things kind of a pain to get to... But that's not the truck's fault..)

For me, the Savage is probably the easiest(I had a HB Lightning GT - which was also dead easy...) - cuz I know it the best and feel the most comfortable with it. People on forums who don't know what they're talking about like to say the Savage is hard to work on, but it's BS.. On the OLD Savages getting to the diffs was a pain, but that's history now. I actually LIKE working on my Savage as a matter of fact - can't say that about the others...(Losi screws being made of butter doesn't help.. Every wrench seshion on the Mug or LST2 seems to entail at least one stripped screw... But to be honest that doesn't mean jack - I love both trucks - A LOT.....)

Anyway, you want a basher, not a race rig for switching out diffs in ten minutes or whatever, and of all the things you should consider when deciding what to get, I would put "ease of wrenching" WAY down the list.. If on the list at all, cuz seriously there are no great differences - they're all within the standard deviation, so to speak...
Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 AM
tmaxx_man87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, i just got done tearing both diffs out, greasing, replacing all axle and diff bearings, pulling motor, installing a new chutch bell, and replacing air filter and it took me around 4 hours to do all that if that helps at all.. btw its a tmaxx 2.5 with a 3.3
Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 AM
snoking16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

revos are easy to work on as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Elite_Tux487

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The mgt is fairly easy to work on. Its a flat chassis which means not everything is squished between a vertical chassis. 8 simple screws to remove the whole tranny, 4 to remove all of the electronics, and 4 for the engine. You also have plenty of room compared to the other MTs I have seen.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:27 PM
megamaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they are all fairly easy to wrench on,ONCE you get past the first time,i run t-maxxs,revo,mgt and a savage,the one that takes the least amount of time to tear down and put back together is the mgt,there is not much to that truck at all,simple would be the word i am looking for
Old 01-22-2008, 02:49 PM
ThermalRD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im shocked Patrick said the LST2 was the hardest to work on. The diffs are accessed with 6 screws removed, and everything else is right there on the chassis, easy to get to. The older savage, and the CEN are a pain to work on. Accessint diffs, and tranny require alot of work. The newest savage X isnt too bad to get to the diffs anymore, but the tranny is still a challenge. The MGT is not real bad either. Same for the maxx trucks. Revos are easy once you know em. But i rate the LST2 the easiest to work on.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
ericem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Id rank the LST2 and MGT about the same at best. Most things are easier though with the Monster GT though. Like few screws you have all the electronics in your hand. Few screws engine is out, few screws and the tranny is out without having to remove something else either usually, just remove the one piece! Definitely the fact that getting the differentials on the LST2 out only takes 6 screws make its pretty awesome. I can't remember with the MGT, I think it was 8? Still not bad.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's the New Era rollbar that makes my LST2 a PIA to work on.. Still, I swear by the NE rollbar.. As with everything, there's a trade-off - increased toughness and protection and chassis stability.., but you can't open the freakin' radio box completely!!.. And aside from the rollbar, I would say changing a servo in the LST2 is about the biggest PIA of anything I've had to do wrenching-wise.. I've had to change out two servos in the LST2 now, and both times tried my patience..(not that I have much...[:@])

This is naturally relative though - I got used to the Savage, so something new is more of a PIA than the original you started with and have gotten used to.. Somebody who started with a Revo or LST2 would no doubt say the opposite...

Which is all kind of why I think this question doesn't matter a whole lot - they all need wrenching to some extent. I personally don't enjoy it on any of them...

And the tranny on the Savage X isn't too bad nowadays either.. Just a few screws and it's open from the top.. (ok, you gotta take the roll-bar off..) Though adjusting the 1-2 shift-point on the 3-speed is a PIA, IMO.. But still - that's life. The Savage is tougher than most, and is the only one with a 3-speed... (edit - oops, excluding the CEN's I guess..) Give and take..
Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Clymer122693

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The revo is the easiest to work on and the savage is the hardest IMO
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
HpiDrifter420

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lst2 stock is the easiest truck to work on. i just crashed mine into a parked car at 35 and it onli cost 16 bucks to fix and took 10 mins. i love this truck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12414.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	858170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82074.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	858171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33831.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	858172  
Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM
hmott3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with the idea this doesn't really matter much. I only have one truck, a Savage X 4.6, which I love by the way. Its easy to work on, I image I could replace a lower a arm in about 10 minutes. But then I replaced them with RPMs so I don't have to worry about it. Thats about the same as the poster above me did it on his LST2. I image all of the trucks are no problem really once you've torn them down once or twice. I'd get the one that jumps out at you, wreching on them isn't going to be a big deal no matter what truck you get.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
tmaxx_man87

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah, i agree, once you tear them down a couple times there easy and you can figure out whats wrong with it once you trea down/own it for awhile, if it makes a noise or something you can usually find it quickly ...
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM
HpiDrifter420

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i prefer to work on my lst2 rather than my tmaxx so it does matter what truck you get. i dont mind fixing stuff on the lst2 and i like the lay out on it as well. on the tmaxx everything is crammed together in tight spots and to get to certain things i have to take off the other parts which is a pain. the lst2 layout is much better to work on so id suggues a lst2 or any of the AFT/MGB/Raminator.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Coadster67

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MGT, hands down. the first time i took the diffs and tranny out - took me bout half an hour. mind you taht was just getting them out, but for the first time its pretty good.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:01 PM
ferrariowner123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think there all pretty easy to work on. of course everyone is going to say thier truck is easy to work but it all depends on preference, i dont know why you would buy a truck because its easy to work on because that means you want a truck thats going to break so your gonna have to spend money right? but im gonna say the MGT is a well made truck and thats it.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
KILL--ROY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Savage X is very easy to work on.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Redharris

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks all....as actual Owners, you opinions are valued. I KNOW you all love your trucks. I'm just trying to get a Feel for something that I think is an important part of RC ownership.
Ease of wrenching is Not the criteria that will DECIDE whether I choose a particular Truck over another. But it IS an issue. For the record. I own two 1/10 Trucks, a 1/8 buggy, a 1/8 Truggy. All Nitros. All from different MFG's. I drive them HARD. They all break, sooner or later. Some are more pleasant to work on than others, which reflects good Engineering (IMHO). Well thought out and well engineered Vehicles tend to perform above par and break less,(again, IMHO)..
I have a Truck that I have to remove 14 screws, disconnect throttle and brake linkage, remove 2 frame braces, AND remove the Top plate.....just to remove the steering servo.
Other than that, the Truck is Great. But the design could have been better. That Truck tends to sit a bit longer awaiting repairs, while I run with something else. Ease of wrenching DOES matter.
Peace Out....