RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

IS MY MGT TRANNY MESSED UP?? PLEASE HELP!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
STREETKING

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default IS MY MGT TRANNY MESSED UP?? PLEASE HELP!

I'm having problems with my MGT's tranny and I don't know what's going on. I had been driving it and it was doing good, then the other day i was just going through my yard and the truck just stopped and began to sit there idling. when i gave it throttle, it revved up, but it would not move at all. When I got to the truck, I immediately went to the little shifter servo and checked to see if it was moving, and it was. So, i shifted it into reverse and gave it gas, but nothing happened.

So i shifted it back into drive and it kicked like it was gonna go, but nothing. So I held the shifter into the tranny and gave it gas and the truck began to mave as long as I held the shifter into the tranny. When I let off, the truck would not move.

Ok, no fast forward to today, I ordered a new Axial engine for it and put it on(which that is another story!) and went out to run it. The truck didn't want to go at first, so I held the the shifter in, and the truck began to move, so I gave it more throttle and began driving the truck. I probably rolled in about a 7 ft circle and the truck just stopped and revved up again. So I lifted the truck off the ground and the gear kicked in and the wheels began to turn, but it sounded like something in the tranny was rattling or something. Then the truck shut off and I left it alone.

Now, please tell me what you think it is, and what can i do about my tranny!!! Is the forward only conversion the way to go?? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 PM
ericem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: IS MY MGT TRANNY MESSED UP?? PLEASE HELP!

Check the linkage for the forward reverse. Or just pop it off and push it in. While you pushing on it pull the truck backwards justo make sure it is fully in place. If it works then you know its the servo for the forward reverse or you just need to adjust the linkage like I said.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 PM
STREETKING

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pop what off?? The linkage from the servo??
Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 PM
ericem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol. On the transmission. Ok look at the truck. When you push the reverse/forward button you will see something move follow it to the transmission. You will notice the piece it sits on is a ball link you can just pop off.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:13 AM
scottywilkes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sounds as if the trans OWB has let go, id suggest goin FOC and getting a New OWB, the reverse mechanism just has to much slop it it, so it slams the other components, basically the reverse is the cause for 90% of all MGT transmission problems, once i went FOC i have never had a problem again
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Ingen28

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Could be the cluth too...???
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
STREETKING

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, i really want to go with the FOC, but i'm nervous about taking off the tranny. is it complicated to do?? is there any links of pictures where I can see to do it?? and will the FOC be hard to install?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:04 PM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have FOC in my tranny. But if it's your first time taking the tranny apart, just go slow and try to visualize where everything goes so re-assembly is easier. Label all screws, parts, etc. You can never be too careful. If you have a digi camera, take step by step pics so you can refer to them if you get confused. Once you do it a few times, it really is simple. Good luck with it. Sounds like something is broke or binding in your tranny. Let us know!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:49 PM
SOILWORK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The roll pin inside the tranny could of snapped.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are so many things that could have happened. Take apart the tranny. Just use your manual and it takes you through the process step by step.

After your first time it will be the easiest repair on the truck, trust me...

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 PM
STREETKING

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nah, i don't even have the manual. it do sound like somethings loose when i roll it. hey lemme ask you this, when it is in forward, it IS supposed to roll freely frontwards AND backwards right??

I ask this because when i try to roll it backwards while the gear is in the "forward drive" position, it rolls about a foot and stops and won't let me roll it anymore. but when i switch the tranny into reverse, the truck rolls freely forwards and backwards without getting stopped.

does anyone know why this is?? maybe that has something to do with the what's wrong in the tranny. i don't know.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:13 PM
hilifemt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STREETKING

nah, i don't even have the manual. it do sound like somethings loose when i roll it. hey lemme ask you this, when it is in forward, it IS supposed to roll freely frontwards AND backwards right??

I ask this because when i try to roll it backwards while the gear is in the "forward drive" position, it rolls about a foot and stops and won't let me roll it anymore. but when i switch the tranny into reverse, the truck rolls freely forwards and backwards without getting stopped.

does anyone know why this is?? maybe that has something to do with the what's wrong in the tranny. i don't know.
Yes, it should roll freely no matter if you have it in forward or reverse. Something definitely isnt right and the only way to tell is to open up the tranny.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
ericem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Something is definitely wrong inside the transmission, I wouldn't be surprised if you find stripped gears. When you push forward and the truck is engadged in forward it should not spin the spur gear, but when you pull it back it should.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It may be that the setscrew for your two speed clutch may have fallen out. Happened to me twice because of my stupidity, but it may have just vibrated out.

YOU NEED TO TAKE IT APART!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Elite_Tux487

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah..it should definetly not stop you from moving it either way. In forward gear..it will roll easy but when you push it backwards it will engage the gears. And vice versa for reverse. It's not hard to take apart the tranny. There are about 8 screws holding it to the chassis and you should be able to just pull it out with a little fussing. Then just take apart the screws that hold the case. Be careful when you take out the tranny because there is a little button that will fall out that allows the brake to actuate.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
STREETKING

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn't think that was right for it to lock up when I rolled it backwards. alright, I'm on my mission to take it apart. I'll let you guys know what I find once I get it there. thanks for your help thus far.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 AM
snowbl!nd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You said you didn't have the manuals to help you so here they are in [link=http://www.teamassociated.com/shusting/CatalogHub/cathub_offroad_mgt.htm].pdf[/link] [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
STREETKING

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey, thanks snowblind.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
STREETKING

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, the tranny is fixed. i took it to a local hobbytown and the guy took it apart because i normally i work on all my vehicles, but i looked at the layout for that tranny and i was just too fearful that i would mess something up or lose something. anyway, he said some sort of pin or something had broken off, and that was my problem. I thank all of you for your help. I have a question that i'm gonna start a new post about because it's a different subject, but same truck, so if you can, please go there. Thanks.