sae257369

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Purchasing 1st Monster Truck

I am getting ready to buy my first MT and I think I have finally found one that I like the most. I want the new MGT 8.0. I have compared it to all of the other top choices and this is the one I keep coming back to. This will be my first nitro rc and wanted to know what basic tools I will more than likely need. So what should someones basic toolbox encompass? Also for the people who already own a MGT 8.0 what are some of the first things that you had to replace b/c of poor design? The one thing I have been wooried about the MGT 8.0 is the runtime. How long is the runtime and had much of a gas guzzler is it?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
MGTmadman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Purchasing 1st Monster Truck

Well I don't own the 8.0 but I do have the 4.60 SE and it is the same chassis all the way around. As for your toolbox, you will want to have hex drivers, nut drivers and phillips head screw drivers to work on the vehicle. I would also recommend you get additional screws, washers, shims, and nuts in case you loose some either from working on the truck or something comes loose and falls off during your racing/bash session (get some blue locktite). Also get some additional turnbuckle ends as they will wear out.

For upgrades I suggest getting the RPM A-arms, knuckles, and pillow ball retainers, a tuned pipe and header, and the Forward only Kit (provided you don't want reverse of course) the FOC kit will reduce the rotating mass in the transmission and lighten the truck up a bit (the FOC kit has not been upgraded yet for the 8.0, so don't use the 4.60 kit). Any additional upgrades are up to you.

As an afterthought, you will want to upgrade the shock springs and shock oil, for shock oil the most widely used for the MGT is 50wt, for shock springs most people run the red (stiff) ones, or a combination of red and gold (medium) or red and copper (stiffest) depending on terrain type and or track conditions. Hope this helps and above all have fun
Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 PM
zud00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Purchasing 1st Monster Truck

You don't have to replace/upgrade all those things he mentioned. What you break will depend on your bashing style. If you are a hard basher, you have a greater chance of breaking something. A rule that a lot of people use is to upgrade when you break something and need to replace it.

One thing that is highly recommmend to upgrade is your receiver battery pack. Ditch the AAs and go for the hump-pack.