Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Looking for a "go to" nitro vehicle, wisdom needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Looking for a "go to" nitro vehicle, wisdom needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 06:00 PM
yoster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a "go to" nitro vehicle, wisdom needed

Hello-

Let me start with background info. My intro into RC was with a Nitro Evader ST, and I don't like it. I got all hyped up over the videos of RC's doing huge jumps and whatnot, and didn't realize that stadium-trucks are more race oriented. I hate 2wd, The Evader breaks just by LOOKING at it, people claimed "50mph" (when in actuality it's more like 30, I blame the jr-high and high-school members of the board) and it just isn't what I was looking for. It runs great and is an absolute tank now ($200 bucks in upgrades later), but had I known I was going to be spending that much in upgrades, I would have opted for something bigger originally. Since then, (this was 3 years ago) I have gotten HEAVILY into rc electric planes. I have an entire garage full of them, and love it.

Fast forward.. I want to get back into land-vehicles. This is what I need. I don't care about racing or handling, I want something that's going to hold up (assuming normal maintanence and the expected breaks), something that will be fun. I want to know, what is the NUMBER ONE most heavy-duty rc nitro vehicle out there? I am looking at the Duratrax Raze Truggy (i MUST have 4wd this time around), or maybe a 1:16 little buggy or something.

Again, I'm looking for known durability, not comments like "yeah this one guy has this truck and it's always broken." I know Duratrax had it's issues three years ago, but I know nothing about their Raze series, or the durability of these little 1:16'ths from other manufacturers.

The only truck I've used since my three year break was a Traxxas E-Max... was a friends and I really liked it. It was so nice.. a good two hours and nothing broke! The ease of use was just a fresh relief. It was all stock, no brushless or lipo, but just the ability to go off a small jump without breaking a shock tower EVERY time was nice.

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I'm up for any scale, I just require 4wd. I also know things WILL break, I just want something that has a good solid track record.

Thanks everyone! Have a great weekend
Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

Default RE: Looking for a "go to" nitro vehicle, wisdom needed

hpi savge x 4.6 its super durable not disapointing really great truck its $430 plus tax i would recomend it to anyone thats going to bash but if your racing a truggy would be the way to go and the savage is 1/8 scale MT it does like 40+mph i love that truck
Old 01-26-2008, 06:38 PM
MGTmadman

I can only assume that since you have posted this in the Monster Truck forum you are looking for one. Here is a list of trucks that I would recommend you take a look at and read some of the posts here in this forum for additional info on what problem areas people have encountered with the trucks and so on.

Associated Monster GT 4.60, 8.0 and the MMGT 3.0
Cen Racing GST 7.7 and Nemesis 7.7
Team Losi LST2, Aftershock and the variations of the Aftershock such as the Mega Baja
Traxxas Revo, and T-Maxx
HPI Savage

This list is not in any particular order other than what came to mind when typing it out, all of them are good trucks and all of them are 4WD.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:38 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

I have had two trucks and a buggy, By far the savage can take a serious beating, and just has a few weak points to deal with that arent too big of a deal. I took it at full throttle / full speed into a 4 inch tree the truck bounced off and did a 180 and kept going while the tree just shook from the impact. Granted i hit it dead center of the front bumper and had i hit an A arm im sure id a messed it up good but just goes to show its a very durable truck. Granted its not the fastest, nor is it the most nimble , but at the end of a bash session between I and friends the savages are still kicking. I consider it like my goto truck I dont have to worry much about breaking it.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM
CBM Racing

I would suggest the Losi lst2. It is durable and reasonably fast. Simple to work on when that tree jumps in front of a tire. And comes with a pretty darn good radio. Savages are well known for their toughness, but I don't own one so I can't recomend it. I know quite a few people with revo, and have driven one quite a bit. They are fast and reasonably strong, I just like the lst2 better because it's bigger, and engine upgrades/swaps don't need any other upgrades. Lst2!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM
hmott3

Savage X 4.6 SS or RTR.. you won't get any tougher, and the price is great as well.

I saw someone way 40+, but I think its more like mid/high 30's out of the box. torque like crazy, but not geared for top end out of the box.

Do a youtube search for savage and you'll understand. Just make sure you get the X, not the orignal.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
bigairlife

Ya. The most durable basher is probably the savage x 4.6 rtr or ss. They're extremely tough and are very fast out of the box =-]

But associated mgt's are great trucks too
Old 01-26-2008, 11:24 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

I will use HPI Monster Trucks forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:03 AM
yoster

Thanks for the replies guys. To the individuals that recommended I watch videos, I've been watching those since about 2003. That's what got me into rc.. and where I made the unfortunate assumption that, because they all take a beating in the videos, my evader must be able to take a beating too, not realizing that there is quite a difference between a stadium truck and a MT/buggy/truggy.

I've heard good things about all the trucks mentioned. How are the transmissions in those vehicles? Stock servo's? If the trucks with the $400 price tag come with good strong gearboxes, and strong (preferrable metal geared) servo's, that sounds like a deal. I was leaning towards a $200 1:16 scale with all aluminum and metal geared servos, but if the 1/8 scale MT's come with that, then I might as well go for it. That was another pain of the evader.. had to upgrade my steering servo to metal geared and the gears in the gearbox to hardened aluminum (or whatever it is).

So it looks like the Duratrax Raze ST is out? I was hoping that one would have turned up good opinions since it was a decent price.. but I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:18 AM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

Well i can say i have not heard good things about the raze st but the savage truck doesnt come with a metal geared servo thats a downside for me about the savage but its fixable and the servo workes fine. the Savage and MGT both come with 2speed transmissions but, the Savage is more durable than the MGT the savage and in my opinion is the better truck ask any one here that has a savage and you wont hear a bad thing and you will not be disapointed with eather of the trucks each truck has it's own downfall the savage is faster the MGT 4.60 the MGT 8.0 is faster than the savage 4.6 and i will list the prices below

HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR= $430 the Associated MGT 8.0= $500-514 the Associated MGT 4.60= $400
Old 01-27-2008, 04:28 AM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

and to add one more thing If you get the savage you have to get a batery and charger for the Rotostart and you have to do the same with the Raze ST and both of the Associated trucks (it might only be the 8.0)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Elite_Tux487

I would say go for the MGT or the Savage or LST 2..Anyone of those and i'm sure you will be happy...I have the 4.6....Its plenty good for what I do. I have wheelied the thing to death..I have only umped it to about 6 feet but came down in every way imaginable..Flipped it at high speeds sending it tumbling..The only thing I have broke is the rear bumper...I installed the Foward Only Kit, which is what I recommend as a first upgrade. I do not believe the MGT 8.0 has an FOC kit out yet though.. Oh and about the roto start, the 4.6 has both pull start and roto start but you use a drill to start with the roto start (not included). The 8.0 has the roto start and a cool laser gun starter but you need to get a 6 cell battery pack and charger for it.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 PM
THE BASHER

well if it is durability you are looking for then the very ultimate would be the savage x 4.6 so far i have had 3/4 gallon purely 15-20ft jumps and senceless bashing and have only burnt out a glo plug during break in lol and i has the all important 4wd. just my $0.02
Old 01-27-2008, 02:14 PM
jessemxt

Hey go with the Losi Eight-T truggy. Very tough great radio gear and good engine. Go ask in the truggy forum and people love them. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13687
Old 01-27-2008, 03:01 PM
R/C Lightweight

If you're looking at 1/16 scale nitro trucks, I'd say the MG-16 from CEN. Lots of places have them for under $200 shipped. With a battery pack modification, it's just about bulletproof. They are tough. If larger scale is what you're looking for, than most of the aforementioned trucks are great. I personally like the Losi trucks because of their size, but I hear that Savages are rock solid. I have about a gallon through my Losi Aftershock and it's a strong and capable truck. Can't beat the price. $100 less than a Savage, and with that extra $100 you can easily make it as strong, if not stronger than any truck out there. You will absolutely love the suspension on the Losi trucks if you decide to go that route. In my opinion, they (suspensions) are head and shoulders above the rest. All trucks mentioned above are great in their own respects. It's really a preference issue.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
nitro.rc.racer
Banned

i wouldent go with a 1/16 scale MT because of durability get an Associated MMGT 3.0 its a 1/10 scale truck and it should be really durable if not go with the 1/8 scale MT's
Old 01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
beer=food
Banned

For what you describe, as much as l love revo's, you need a basic truggy.
Every MT is more maintanence, every one of em, truggies can be crap to start if you get a pull start one, mainly because the engines are bigger in general.Get a roto starter.

If your looking for air get a REVO, they jump and land incredibly for a MT, and you will never break a shock tower LOL > !

T-maxx's have some problems, l would not recomend one of those, they have a weak front end chassis, and tend to rip front ends right off, and lve smashed a few things on mine before l got rid of it.

You sound like your experienced in the RC hobby, you should realise there is ''no strongest'', just peoples opinions, lm into planes myself, and jets, all these trucks/truggies are the same to me except a few, the stand out few, the revo is one MT , truggies another, the cheap but nasty inferno, if l asked you whats the strongest plane on the RC market, l recon you will understand better.
Its a no brainer ! Short of that l dought many here have owned EVERY type there is to make that determination, l think like anything RC you buy, you must realise this with so many RC planes and parts, that luck of the draw counts in this industry, some things are designed well, some not so well.Some have faults even when designed well, some do not.All effect peoples opinions.

To be frank, l recon your experienced enough, to not actually need to ponder the question at all, and l recon you will make a good choice, and l recon it could be anything on the page above my post and would be fine for what you want, but there really is no bestestestest. !

After being missled by the collagers, l recon you will be alot wiser to what you want now, got a local shop near by, go look at a few up close, that'll give you an idea of what one you really want.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 PM
bigairlife

Jammin crt.5 =-] Or for a really hard core bashing truggy, get a losi muggy. I have one, and it's unbelieveably tough. TUFF!!! I do 10-20 foot high jumps regularly, and in 3 gallons i haven't broken anything, except for 1 wing mount when i landed upside-down from 20 feet in the air, a front bumper and front a-arm when i hit a car at 45 mph, and a stripped clutch-bell after 2.5 gallons.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 AM
hmott3

ORIGINAL: nitro.rc.racer

Well i can say i have not heard good things about the raze st but the savage truck doesnt come with a metal geared servo thats a downside for me about the savage but its fixable and the servo workes fine. the Savage and MGT both come with 2speed transmissions but, the Savage is more durable than the MGT the savage and in my opinion is the better truck ask any one here that has a savage and you wont hear a bad thing and you will not be disapointed with eather of the trucks each truck has it's own downfall the savage is faster the MGT 4.60 the MGT 8.0 is faster than the savage 4.6 and i will list the prices below

HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR= $430 the Associated MGT 8.0= $500-514 the Associated MGT 4.60= $400
Actually the sf2 (steering servo) is metal gear in the savage x, out of the box. The servo is a little low on torque for the truck, but it is a metal gear servo. If you only run in the grass/dirt I don't think it was so bad, although I did upgrade.