absoluttorque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Buying a new basher, quick question

So right now I've narrowed my choice of fun basher down to three trucks, the LST2, the MGT 8.0 or the Savage X 4.6. For those of you that have had them or that still do, how easy are they to work on? I've heard the MGT 4.6 or 8.0 is the easiest to work on followed by the Savage X and then the LST2 but none are that hard to work on. I know they are all pretty much equal when it comes to durability so that isn't an issue. Also, could anyone with the MGT 8.0 let me know how the fuel mileage is on the MGT8? Thanks a ton for all of your help with my research so far.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM
hmott3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Buying a new basher, quick question

I have a Savage X 4.6rtr, I've had it for about a month now. Its currently setting in pieces in my dinning room, it was major dirty and I'm upgrading the arms to all RPM, and the Pins to lunsford. Anyway, this is my first ever nitro, actually first real RC. I find it very easy to work on. I've had everything apart except the engine and trans, and none of it is scary or hard at all.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM
atv_motocross#38

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I own an Aftershock (close to a lst2) and i would say it is the easiest one to work on out of those three. My friend has a savvy and it isnt easy to work on.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
RCUSEE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the savage is the best basher out there, maybe the new rdlogics, looks pretty similar
i would buy the mgt4.6 because its simply the best allround truck in my opinion for a fair price
Old 01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Savage and it's dead easy to work on.., and I probably hate wrenching more than anybody here.. When people say a Savage is hard to work on, no offense but it's just frankly BS..

I also have an LST2, which is a really great truck..

Absolutetorque, stop worrying about ease of wrenching and gas mileage - these two things should be way down your list.. What you want is toughness, LHS support, then speed and handling.. All these trucks are in the same league as far as toughness, so try to go to a LHS and see them up close.. The right one for you is the one YOU want - the one that jumps out at you.. You're wasting your time worrying about gas mileage and wrenching... Seriously, do you want to get two extra minutes on a tank in a truck that you don't like as much?? When investing this much in a toy truck, get what you WANT.. Let your gut decide which you like the most, then just get it... They're all great trucks..
Old 01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
absoluttorque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. PatrickBW, very good points, actually, those are what I considered first, and I've narrowed it down to these three, these last questions were to help make a final decision. They are all cool, and they are all equally durable so it's a hard choice to make, plus, I don't need to buy it right this second so I have time to ask a lot of questions before it warms up a little where I am. I only ask about wrenching because I hate working on a car that is really hard to work on or just poorly engineered. My RC18T/R is like that, not poorly engineered, just really hard to work on with all of the small parts and my sausage fingers, lol. Again, thanks for all of the great feedback.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
HerrSavage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm currently having stress trying to make my Muggy run with a startbox.. I'd rather rebuild ten Savage diffs or MGT trannies or LST2 shocks or whatever... Or slam my hand in a car door repeatedly for an hour.... And the Muggy is a truggy so should be a dream to work on the way some people talk.. They all suck to work on as far as I'm concerned... Cuz regardless of layout, "engineering" or whatever, there's always some stupid unexpected thing to hang you up...... Even on an "easy" truggy... But I tell you what, my Savy was first, and I've never had anything unexpected go wrong on a Sav.. I had my spur gear growing pains at the beginning, but besides that nothing unusual.. Losi trucks come with the most useless butter screws, that seem to just find a way to strip at the worst possible moment.. Though I love my LST2 and Muggy - but lots of people say they're so easy to work on.. I've had way more problems with them than I ever did with either of my Savs... Cuz my Sav was first I actually almost like working on it.. Not so the Losis..., even though the LST2 is the superior truck, and the Muggy the best looking (IMO)...