Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone Own a RT-X 27?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 PM
CDN_Crippler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Own a RT-X 27?

I have been looking at the Axial .28 as I have read here of people running it.  However, locally i can get a good deal on a HPI F4.6.  Does anybody know if this motor will fit and if it is any good?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: CDN_Crippler

I have been looking at the Axial .28 as I have read here of people running it. However, locally i can get a good deal on a HPI F4.6. Does anybody know if this motor will fit and if it is any good?
Both engines are made by the same company. As long as you still have the stock engine hardware ( or can get more of the expact same thing ) the engine will bolt right on
Old 05-29-2009, 03:10 AM
OddsNEnds

ORIGINAL: JayRec

I hear ya about the motor. I gave up and installed an Axial .28
Many of us are running Axial .28 or higher, OS, LRP. Take your pick!
On another note has anyone else experienced a lot of cracks and breaks with their trucks? I gave mine a good going over and found many parts that have cracked or just broken. I havent hardly drove mine yet and I sure havent bashed it hard enough to have so many cracks. If I sent them all in I wouldnt have a truck left.
I also noticed my front right diff is leaking a small amount of oil. My brother's is leaking in the same spot on his RTX as well. Normal??
Can you tell us what parts are cracking so we can look out for that as well.... Thanks! So far, I have had bad servos and a bad carb from the ST27. Broke two rear body mounts and the rear ring and pinion ground on each other. But, no cracks yet.

BTW, your RTX looks SICK! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 AM
OddsNEnds

ORIGINAL: CDN_Crippler

I have been looking at the Axial .28 as I have read here of people running it. However, locally i can get a good deal on a HPI F4.6. Does anybody know if this motor will fit and if it is any good?
Whatever you choose, you will need a clutch nut (I used a Mugen CN) and clutch shim kit (ofna) as these are true SG (pilot shaft) motors, but, the stock ST says it is, it is not. Don't forget to seal the motor! Have fun!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:20 AM
rcbeep73

I have the K4.6 in one of my warheads. It's ok but drop down to a 14 clutch bell from Ofna. It will help with better take off. With this engine you don't have to worry about blowing your trans.You can use the roto start but will need to grind down the engine mount in two places.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 PM
JayRec
My Feedback: (38)

Thanks OddsNends, the VW body is different but was fun to do for my first try at a body.
As for parts cracking well lets see, the front skid plate both corners that screw into the chassis, the front and rear diff covers, and a couple areas seem to have hairline cracks near screw points. I think they should give us 2 trucks when we buy these, one to drive and one for parts!
I am off to race my brother and some buddies tomorrow, will take some vid and post later on
Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
JayRec

Gee it has been awful quiet in here this weekend, hopefully all were out racing or bashing.
I was out at the Bardis Speedway with the other Bardis Bashers. Here is some video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHdXIWOLPgA

Grasshopper got home too late from work so he couldnt get out his buggy and Jason was off to a wedding. So my brother had his stock RTX out against my Axial RTX Bug. I have to say that his truck is fast once it heats up but he still struggles with high temps. The Buku pipe I installed has not been fully tuned but you can see in the video that it adds about 25% more power to the .28 Axial. I had to cut back on the throttle a lot because my steering servo horn was stripping and I was losing steering. I didnt realize it until I finally lost it into the rhubarb! I will be upgrading to an aluminum servo horn, I guess the 202oz steering servo I installed is a little stronger than I thought.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
ALFFA164

Hmmm.... those 109 buck do really pay off right!!!! Jjajajaj... i told you buku was the way to go!

Jay, be carefull... its better to strip servo horns than servo gears. If you are stripping the horn probably your steerign setup is not right, at some point it must binding or your end point is way too open. If you dont check on that an alu horn will hold but you will find yourself replacing servo gears... average 20 bucks the gear kit.

What radio are you using? Stock?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
JayRec

yes using stock radio, my Spectrum had a problem, sent it back and now they are on back order.
The steering seems to be ok but I do recall lengthening the throw between the servo horn and the linkage. Could that have done it?
As for the pipe, it rocks. I still have some fine tuning but you can see if you watch the video that it adds power for sure, I had to hold back because I was missing corners
Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
ALFFA164

Hmmm... how much did you lengthened it? That might be the reason. I was having the same problem with the servo horns and i decided alu horns was the way to solve it. After that the problem transfered to the servo gears and i had to change them like 3 times. Finally i had to re adjust the end points (with digital futaba) and the problem was gone.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've finally got the stock Super Tigre running the way I want it to. A few of the things that I did was to only run the truck for 3 to 4 minutes at a time for the first half gallon, and never in the lower half of the tank. I added two shims under the head, sealed the engine, went to only running 20% nitro, installed a Nova cooling head, installed a fan type flywheel, and also installed an HPI air filter. I've been running the truck now for about 10 minutes at a time and the temps are staying in around 275* F for the high. on shut down, the temp reads about 250*F. My glow plugs are no longer failing also. I think the break in period for this engine is almost a gallon. I run the truck a little on the rich side on the first run, and it runs just right once its warmed up. I made the mistake of trying to tune the engine on the first run, and chased the needle settings. I've learned a lot about these engines in the process of owning my first RC truck, but I think I've finally got the stock motor running the way it is supposed to run. It runs consistantly once warmed up and I'm having fun with it now. Thanks for every ones help. Duratrax has also been great about the replacement parts.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
BRUSSER

Gents:
                                  Need a good avdice on witch clutch bell can i use with the Super Tigre engine, trying upgrade step by step, already change cooling head for a Nova; now i want to change the clutch bell and shoes any sugestions will be deeply apreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:00 PM
ALFFA164

Axial vented clutch bells and ofna alu shoes

Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
BRUSSER

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Steve

I used the Ofna hardened, vented clutch bell and Ofna aluminum shoes. I put the 16 tooth on, but its a little slower on take-off but is works fine. You might try the 14T and see how it performs.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Steve

Placed an order at Tower for some aluminum upgrades. They are going for cheeeep now.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 AM
OddsNEnds

Hey thanks for the heads up JayRec! Will keep an eye out for those fractures.

ORIGINAL: JayRec

Thanks OddsNends, the VW body is different but was fun to do for my first try at a body.
As for parts cracking well lets see, the front skid plate both corners that screw into the chassis, the front and rear diff covers, and a couple areas seem to have hairline cracks near screw points. I think they should give us 2 trucks when we buy these, one to drive and one for parts!
I am off to race my brother and some buddies tomorrow, will take some vid and post later on
Still can't get over the bug body, that's KOOL!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 AM
OddsNEnds

Thanks Skhills.... I did what you said and fabbed up an HPI Hellfire tank (150cc) to the side of the truck and low and be hold..... I ran the truck hard and had a hard time reaching 260 degrees! Finally on the very bottom (1/4 or lower) of the tank the temp ran 275.... But, as soon as I stopped the truck and idled for a few seconds, really just a few seconds, the temps came down to 260 to 255 again. I am impressed! The truck ran better, stronger and so much more consistent than with the stock tank. It even did wheel stands a few times (5). That has never happened except on a rare occasion. This run today, albet only one tank before the sun went down, has been the best the truck has ever ran.

ORIGINAL: Skhills

i apreciate your input...but...PLEASE REPLACE that tank; or replace your engine in the very short run. I tried every thing under the sun to seal that tank (epoxy, goop, etc. even remelting the plastic. if thats a word. it all worked for about 2 tanks... problem is nitro methane eats right through anything u can put on it. Im only trying to help, not argue..do what works for you, but dont say i didnt tell you.
As far as the tires/wheels go .. i think mine are just shot... they are very wobly and make me uncomfortable at high speeds.... What do you think of the savage wheels and tires? I really like the LST xxl wheels and tires. any thoughts ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18460.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1215637   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42987.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	1215638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19238.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1215639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56300.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1215640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12320.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1215641  
Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 AM
OddsNEnds

That's nuts, Steve... Glad your having success with the ST motor. Wish it was easier, but, seems like you did a lot of good with those mods. Unfortunately, I had a bad carb.... And chased heat issues until I finally bought a new motor. Then changing tank so far has been the biggest success battling the heat issues. Once Duratrax sends me a new one I will install the carb and use the ST motor as a back up.... BTW, what aluminum parts are you getting, curious here....

ORIGINAL: Steve

I've finally got the stock Super Tigre running the way I want it to. A few of the things that I did was to only run the truck for 3 to 4 minutes at a time for the first half gallon, and never in the lower half of the tank. I added two shims under the head, sealed the engine, went to only running 20% nitro, installed a Nova cooling head, installed a fan type flywheel, and also installed an HPI air filter. I've been running the truck now for about 10 minutes at a time and the temps are staying in around 275* F for the high. on shut down, the temp reads about 250*F. My glow plugs are no longer failing also. I think the break in period for this engine is almost a gallon. I run the truck a little on the rich side on the first run, and it runs just right once its warmed up. I made the mistake of trying to tune the engine on the first run, and chased the needle settings. I've learned a lot about these engines in the process of owning my first RC truck, but I think I've finally got the stock motor running the way it is supposed to run. It runs consistantly once warmed up and I'm having fun with it now. Thanks for every ones help. Duratrax has also been great about the replacement parts.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 AM
OddsNEnds

Just to add to the clutch and bell combo. I installed an Ofna 16T vented clutch bell with Mugen aluminum clutch and Mugen 1 mm springs. I want to go to a 17T bell, but, will have to mod the motor mount area to get proper gear mesh. So far with this set up I have had no issues and a lot better take off off the line.

ORIGINAL: BRUSSER

Gents:
Need a good avdice on witch clutch bell can i use with the Super Tigre engine, trying upgrade step by step, already change cooling head for a Nova; now i want to change the clutch bell and shoes any sugestions will be deeply apreciated.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Steve

ORIGINAL: OddsNEnds

That's nuts, Steve... Glad your having success with the ST motor. Wish it was easier, but, seems like you did a lot of good with those mods. Unfortunately, I had a bad carb.... And chased heat issues until I finally bought a new motor. Then changing tank so far has been the biggest success battling the heat issues. Once Duratrax sends me a new one I will install the carb and use the ST motor as a back up.... BTW, what aluminum parts are you getting, curious here....

I purchased both aluminum differential cases and both aluminum transmission cases. I already have aluminum bulkheads and A-arms. The only other aluminum parts I may get is the shock towers once they are on sale. I wish Iwould have bought aluminum skid plates when I had the chance. The Super Tigre is running very good now. I'm going to try a differant tank also, just to see what happens.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Steve

I just checked prices again and Tower has brought the prices back up on some of the parts. Both cases were only $10.00 each for the diffs, and $19.00 each for the tranys. Now I see $24.00 and $45.00. I must have hit it just right. Looks like the rear blue, and the front purple is still on the sale price though.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
xCrucialx

ORIGINAL: Steve

How many shims total do you have? Ihave tried 2 or 3 shims, medium and cold plugs, 15% and 20% nitro. None if it helps my temps stay down. Ihave the Nova head and it helps keep it cool a little longer but eventually the heat will soak in and it runs over 300. I've seen it as high as 400 according to my temp gauge. The cylinder walls and piston aren't scored and it still has good compression but Iknow that won't last long. I am going to have to look into getting a new fuel tank to see if that helps. looks like it has been working for others here. I like the mounting inside the rear bumper area as that shouldn't see any hard impacts.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
OddsNEnds

WOW! That's some extreme temperatures!!! Have you sealed your ST motor? Carb mounting area, pinch screws and the rear backing plate. Also, seal the tank pressure inlet and fuel outlet. And if you have not changed your fuel lines recently, they can wear out and have pinholes that are not visible to the naked eye. After all of the above, my ST never ran hotter than 300 degrees and the Axial as well. Atleast I never let it get higher. I always freaked and shut them down to cool.

If you try a new tank, the Hellfire tank will fit in the back as well. But, with the stock plastic bumper I am worried that it will be more vulnerable back there. I may move mine if I pick up an aluminum rear bumper and figure out how I can mount a body over it.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 PM
xCrucialx

Idid seal the carb/motor as you described. I haven't done the tank yet. Ido have some new fuel line so Iwill try that next. The truck is only 3 or 4 months old with about a gallon of fuel through it. Iassumed the fuel lines would be ok still. Cheap enough to change though. How many total shims do you have now?

I am getting those temps while still running richer than Ineed to as It is not getting up to speed and shifting like it should. If Ilean it out more it runs awesome while still giving good smoke until it heats up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.