RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Anyone Own a RT-X 27?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 AM
rcbeep73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Own a RT-X 27?

ORIGINAL: Wingwrecker

I am starting to hate the stock engine.. A buddy and myself each bought Rt-x27's and are consistently having start up and tuning probs with the Super Pooper. When it's running great it's running way too hot and quits. Then starting again is very problematic. I've had one other nitro engine for my plane(s) and it was a beautiful thing. It was an O.S. 55AX and there were absolutely no issues with it even at my high elevation. I think I'll be ordering the O.S. .30 for my (Warhead) RTX. Though I'm still looking at Axial .28. Is the cost hike on the OS worth it or does the Axial run well without too much hassle?
your right on all counts. The OS is a good engine and the Axial is just as good. so you can go eather way. I would get the Axial .32. the .28 might rev higher but the .32 will have a more kick to it. Plus you can go down a tooth on the clutch bell and take advantage of the engines power.
check the link.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPEB7&P=ML
as for the roto start i don't know if it will fit. but you can always add the Hpi roto start to the Axial engine. Try a different exaust system that will make a big difference also. Like i said i think i will put in that Lrp .28.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYU8&P=ML
let us know what your going to do.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 AM
messn03

I think you'd actually be happier w/ the LRP motor as I put one in a Warhead along w/ a Team LOSI Sport pipe( same as a Sportwerks HT) , sold the truck to a friend and he's amazed w/ the power and how well it hold a tune. he's running the stick CB w/ a steel spur as well and I'd say it runs around 45-48 mph, 270-285 deg. You really can't beat the price either! My Axial .32 gave me fits in the humidity and I finally got used to tuning not only H_L but mid as well, now itSCREAMS and runs at abit 270 deg all day!!!...Mess...[sm=thumbs_up.gif][:@]
Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Wingwrecker

I've never dealt with installing an engine into a transmission before so I'm realy looking for an easy drop-in repleacement. I'm pretty happy with the power and speed of the 'Pooper' when it's running strong so I don't really need more speed and/or power (but it's always good!) I'm kinda budget minded for this hobby as well as I'm still learning (spending) on helis, plus I've 4 planes that need built/repaired.

I found the Axial .28 Spec 1s for $109 so if it will go in relatively easy, brean in/run predictably, and give me just a little more power then I'd be happy with it for now.

Based on the general consensus, it looks as though I can assume an all around 'thumbs-up' for the Axial .28? And if I do get it, will [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHMG0&P=V]THIS KIT[/link] fit the bill for installation? It's reccomended with the OS .30 but will it work for the Axial too? Or do I need it at all?

Thanks for the informative responses.. Gotta love an active thread!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 AM
rcbeep73

I've never dealt with installing an engine into a transmission before so I'm realy looking for an easy drop-in repleacement. I'm pretty happy with the power and speed of the 'Pooper' when it's running strong so I don't really need more speed and/or power (but it's always good!) I'm kinda budget minded for this hobby as well as I'm still learning (spending) on helis, plus I've 4 planes that need built/repaired.

I found the Axial .28 Spec 1s for $109 so if it will go in relatively easy, brean in/run predictably, and give me just a little more power then I'd be happy with it for now.

Based on the general consensus, it looks as though I can assume an all around 'thumbs-up' for the Axial .28? And if I do get it, will [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHMG0&P=V]THIS KIT[/link] fit the bill for installation? It's reccomended with the OS .30 but will it work for the Axial too? Or do I need it at all?

Thanks for the informative responses.. Gotta love an active thread!
yes they are all dropins. i don't think you will need the kit but it does not hurt to have. just check the clutch shoes before installing them on the new engine.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Wingwrecker

What should I be looking for on the clutch shoes?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:58 AM
messn03

I prefer Mugens w/ 1.0mmsprings for good launch, aluminum shoes, OFNA vented CB
Old 09-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Wingwrecker

If the stockers are OK then I'll stick with em for now. Not looking to make this the ultimate racing machine, just a good, reliable basher. But I don't know what I'm looking for when I'm told to check the shoes before installing the new motor.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
ALFFA164

If the stockers are OK then I'll stick with em for now. Not looking to make this the ultimate racing machine, just a good, reliable basher. But I don't know what I'm looking for when I'm told to check the shoes before installing the new motor.

Checl for wear on the shoes and wear on the clutch bell... also check if the springs look in good condition. As said one or two post above.... a vented clutch bell is a better choice.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Wingwrecker

Yeah, you guys got me looking at aluminum clutch shoes now... $20 on ebay seems like a reasonably priced hop up.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Stereodude

Anyone in the Detroit Metro area want to come help me with my RT-X 27?

I am 100% convinced something is defective with mine. I added a 3rd shim under the head and it ran even hotter. [:@] I think I saw as hot as 350F before immediately turning it off. So, I richened it up a bunch until it was running closer to the right temps. The manual says rich should be 4.5 turns from closed. I'm around 5.5 turns from closed, it runs like a dog and still is pushing 270-280F.

I'm about ready to throw this thing out! [] HELP!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Stereodude

Nevermind guys... I have decided to get an RMA for RT-X 27 to send it back to Duratrax instead.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Wingwrecker

ORIGINAL: Stereodude

Nevermind guys... I have decided to get an RMA for RT-X 27 to send it back to Duratrax instead.

Bummer.. I decided to stick with the RTX and just get a better motor for it. Installing it today (Axial .28 Spec 1s - $109 @ A-Main Hobbies.) I hope everything goes well.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:03 PM
ThermalRD

Anyone in the Detroit Metro area want to come help me with my RT-X 27?

I am 100% convinced something is defective with mine. I added a 3rd shim under the head and it ran even hotter. [:@] I think I saw as hot as 350F before immediately turning it off. So, I richened it up a bunch until it was running closer to the right temps. The manual says rich should be 4.5 turns from closed. I'm around 5.5 turns from closed, it runs like a dog and still is pushing 270-280F.

I'm about ready to throw this thing out! [] HELP!!!
Those settings in the manual are only there to get you started. There are too many factors in tuning these engines, for them to be correct for everyone, in every location. My stock motor is just now waking up really. Tuned properly, i'd say it was pretty slow initially. After running several tanks thru it, its coming to life. On my temp gun, it does run very near 300. But its idle is good, it idles down properly, its blowing smoke, and its performing really well, and not popping any plugs. There are also big differences in temps, depending on what temp gun you are using. As for your shims, i cant help ya there really. But you will certainly lose power by adding them. What fuel were you running? Do you have prior nitro experience? If you have the same issues with the new truck, then PM me. Im in Livonia.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Stereodude

ORIGINAL: ThermalRD

What fuel were you running? Do you have prior nitro experience? If you have the same issues with the new truck, then PM me. Im in Livonia.
I was running Tower Hobbies Tower Power 20% car/boat mix. I have no prior nitro experience, which is partly why this is so frustrating to me. I've tried to be very meticulous and careful.

It also looks like the engine is just soaked on the outside by lubricant from the fuel. It's even dripping from the bottom of the engine, so something definitely isn't right.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:06 PM
rcbeep73

What fuel were you running? Do you have prior nitro experience? If you have the same issues with the new truck, then PM me. Im in Livonia.
I was running Tower Hobbies Tower Power 20% car/boat mix. I have no prior nitro experience, which is partly why this is so frustrating to me. I've tried to be very meticulous and careful.

It also looks like the engine is just soaked on the outside by lubricant from the fuel. It's even dripping from the bottom of the engine, so something definitely isn't right.
if it's all new call duratrax and they will help you. you might even get a new engine.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM
ThermalRD

Well, i've never ran that fuel, but i can tell you fuel brand/quality can play a HUGE role in how easily an engine tunes, and how well it runs. I'd guess that fuel, and this stock motor were a bad combination. From what i've seen, this motor takes its time breaking in. If the bearings in the motor, are anything like the bearings used throughout the rest of the truck, then the bearings alone are VERY tight. So that alone is part of the break-in/low performance of the stock motor. Have you already sent that truck back to Duratrax? If not, i can try to help ya tune that truck sometime this week. I havent read thru these pages lately, so i dont know what these guys have gone over with ya, on that engine. But here are some things to check for, that would cause the problems you are having. Which are all basically leading to an airleak.

-loose cooling head (check the screws, make sure they are snug. Also make sure those gaskets underneath the head, are not crimped, folded, or damaged in any way, and they gotta be clean.)
-loose glo plug. (this one is real easy to see. If you suspect a flaw in the machining at that area, just start the engine, and look down in that area. If its leaking, you'll see bubbles, and fuel coming from around the glo plug area.)
-loose back plate. (not the roto plate. Thea actual plate that is screwed into the engine case, that you attach the roto unit to.)
-loose carb. (if you can turn that carb angle by hand, its loose and wont be seated properly)
-front main bearing. (real easy to check for. If you have tons of oil around that front main bearing, and the chassis beneath it, that bearing is leaking. Its common to see some oil there, but not a whole lot)

Now, knowing the bearings on this thing, i'd guess the front main bearing is not the cause. Those bearings are tight. Look at it anyway though. On the carb, keep in mind that there are many seals there. If you check everything else, and still have issues, you may have a leak at an o-ring in the HSN assembly, that is hard to spot. I'd also swap plugs, and try a different fuel as well. But it really sounds like an air leak.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Stereodude

Well, i've never ran that fuel, but i can tell you fuel brand/quality can play a HUGE role in how easily an engine tunes, and how well it runs. I'd guess that fuel, and this stock motor were a bad combination. From what i've seen, this motor takes its time breaking in. If the bearings in the motor, are anything like the bearings used throughout the rest of the truck, then the bearings alone are VERY tight. So that alone is part of the break-in/low performance of the stock motor. Have you already sent that truck back to Duratrax? If not, i can try to help ya tune that truck sometime this week. I haven't read thru these pages lately, so i dont know what these guys have gone over with ya, on that engine. But here are some things to check for, that would cause the problems you are having. Which are all basically leading to an airleak.

-loose cooling head (check the screws, make sure they are snug. Also make sure those gaskets underneath the head, are not crimped, folded, or damaged in any way, and they gotta be clean.)
-loose glo plug. (this one is real easy to see. If you suspect a flaw in the machining at that area, just start the engine, and look down in that area. If its leaking, you'll see bubbles, and fuel coming from around the glo plug area.)
-loose back plate. (not the roto plate. Thea actual plate that is screwed into the engine case, that you attach the roto unit to.)
-loose carb. (if you can turn that carb angle by hand, its loose and wont be seated properly)
-front main bearing. (real easy to check for. If you have tons of oil around that front main bearing, and the chassis beneath it, that bearing is leaking. Its common to see some oil there, but not a whole lot)

Now, knowing the bearings on this thing, i'd guess the front main bearing is not the cause. Those bearings are tight. Look at it anyway though. On the carb, keep in mind that there are many seals there. If you check everything else, and still have issues, you may have a leak at an o-ring in the HSN assembly, that is hard to spot. I'd also swap plugs, and try a different fuel as well. But it really sounds like an air leak.
I haven't sent it back yet. I messed with a bit more trying to get the low speed needle adjusted a little. Once I richened it up a little and the motor ran much cooler, but the truck was sluggish, so I backed it off some. It seemed pretty hard to get dialed in.

I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at it and give me a sanity check to make sure I'm not making a bunch of newbie mistakes. I'm in Novi, so I'm pretty close to you. I could come to you if you want.
[*]I checked the cooling head. It's nice and tight. I am tempted to put thermal compound like use for a computer CPU between the big heatsink / radiator and the head to aid the cooling.[*]The glo plug seems tight, and I haven't seen any bubbles[*]Not sure about the back plate[*]Not sure about the carb[*]Not sure about the front main bearing either

I have some O'Donnell fuel that I haven't opened yet, and I do have spare glo plugs. Maybe I'll give them a shot tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Stereodude

ORIGINAL: rcbeep73

if it's all new call duratrax and they will help you. you might even get a new engine.
That's my plan after ThermalRD gives my setup a sanity check.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 PM
davido666

I had that problem with fuel dripping on the bottom of the engine and my problem turned out to be a bad rear back plate on the engine. The bearing and seal was warn and fuel and oil would come out. I just replaced the engine instead of replacing the back plate. If enough oil leaked out the one way bearing on the back of the engine for the starter would slip the next time I took it out.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Wingwrecker

Having probs getting the Axial .28 installed. I was able to turn the carb around, but I need to also change the angle of the HSN and the fuel intake needle as well. How do I do this without breaking anything?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 PM
ThermalRD

Yup, thats the one problem with this truck. Not many motors drop right in easily. The axial .28 happens to have that goofy angle to the HSN. I dont think that changes. Though i dont care for my Axial .28RR anyway. The other issues are the backplates from the starters, and roto units hitting the engine support. So watch out for that as well. I could not drop my LRP .28 in here because of that very reason. If i find this truck worthy of a new mill, i'll be putting in something that requires bump start, to eliminate some issues. I do believe some here said the Axial .32 went in though, and the Sportwerks .26 or .28. So possibly those are direct drop ins. Be sure to ask em though. In this hobby, many people find crafty ways of making things work. Good luck with the Axial .28 install. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Wingwrecker

Yeah, the HSN hits the gear for the trans and wont even come close to allowing the mount holes to line up. There's gotta be a way. Guess I'll email Axial.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
rcbeep73

Yeah, the HSN hits the gear for the trans and wont even come close to allowing the mount holes to line up. There's gotta be a way. Guess I'll email Axial.
did you rotate the carb? it's a night fit. if not i know the hpi k4.6 carb fits with no problem. i had to grind down the engine mount just a hair to make the roto start fit. it will fit you just have to take your time. for great tips check out the anyone own a warhead. there are all the tips you need to fix any and all your problems.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Wingwrecker

I rotated the carb so that the throttle arm is on the right as you are facing the front of the truck, and the linkage looks as though it will work well, but the HSN is right on the gear. I see all kinds of vids with people running this .28 on their Warheads. I need this to work. I've been trying to have fun with this truck for 2 weeks now to no avail.

Getting frustrated, as I was told this was a drop in fit. Nope, it's not.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 AM
rcbeep73

you cant rotate the carb just a little so the high speed wont hit. here is a picture of my k4.6 hpi engine. i know the carb does not look like yours but it will work. it just has the high speed needle in a different positoin. look at the pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23929.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1046216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27868.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1046217  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.