xxstreamaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default T-Maxx Radio Question

I have been seeing some strange behavior of the T-Maxx radio and the control of the truck. It seems as though that when the truck about 50 to 100 feet away the throttle and steering becomes less responsive. I do a range test and all is fine but under power just does not feel right. The light is still glowing full on the radio and I have a new set of batteries in the truck. Any thoughts?
I will replace the batteries in the radio today and see it that helps but I thought that's what the light was for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:25 PM
grampi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My advise to you is to pull that POS TQ3 radio out and throw it in the trash! Mine went to he11 in less than 2 hour's use! The servos are OK to use (though the Maxx definitely needs a much more powerful steering servo), but the transmitter and receiver are absolute garbage. A very good 3 channel FM radio can be had for less than $150. It'll cost you a lot more than that to fix your Maxx if it decides to runaway because of a lost radio signal and ends up getting crucnched by a car, or smashes into a telephone pole or something. I can't stress enough how important a good radio is, and someday these companies that are putting out these RTR kits are going to have to start including good radios. These POS radios they're including now (most companies anyway) are just plain dangerous!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:57 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most of my cars were ran with either the TQ3, TQ2 or the futaba magnum sport, THe TQ3 is a very good radio when it comes to entry level radio's, they can have a range of up to a quarter mile away with good batteries and a good antenna. Make sure you have the Tx crystal in the Transmitter, and the Rx crystal in the reciever, but mainly it sounds like a low battery warning, so change the batteries and see if that helps, if not check the crystals. BTW you must remember as well, that the further away the truck gets the more delay there will be in its reasponce. But on another note, I agree with thee above in upgradeing to a better radio, the Airtronics MX-3 is a very nice setup it is an FM computerized radio, that can be bought with/ or with out servo's, and can also be found for under $110.

Heres a picture of it.

And it can be picked up right here for $105 + shipping.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCHA8**&P=0
Old 04-16-2003, 06:04 PM
grampi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You call the TQ3 a good entry level radio? I call it the worst radio I've ever seen, period! I bet it costs the company that makes it less than $5 to make the entire radio. The JR radio included with the Losi XXX-NT is what I call a good entry level radio. There is one company out there that includes the MX-3 in one of their RTR kits, but I can't remember which one it is. The MX-3 is one of the best, if not THE best entry level radios ever!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:11 PM
hoodiegadoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by grampi
You call the TQ3 a good entry level radio? I call it the worst radio I've ever seen, period! I bet it costs the company that makes it less than $5 to make the entire radio. The JR radio included with the Losi XXX-NT is what I call a good entry level radio. There is one company out there that includes the MX-3 in one of their RTR kits, but I can't remember which one it is. The MX-3 is one of the best, if not THE best entry level radios ever!
If you are having a problem with the radio send it back to traxxas and they will replace it. I have three of those radios and all of them have worked great. you might have just received a defective one.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:34 PM
grampi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's foolish to put the fate of a costly T-Maxx at the mercy of the TQ3 radio. Even if Traxxas fixed it for free I wouldn't use it. One look at this radio will tell you it's built in some sweat shop by somebody who makes $.50 and hour. Don't even mess with this radio. Trash it and buy a good one. I'm telling you, the repairs you'll be making to your Maxx after it runs away will cost more than a new radio!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:55 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL ok, well I think majority and experience will over rule that statement. THere is nothing wrong with the radio, what radio do you run in your tmaxx? And how many of these radios have you owned/used? How ever it is not top of the line, but it is a very good radio, thus why TRX has been useing the TQ setup for more years than any other radio in its class(am). And it realy doesnt matter what radio you use, if you dont know how to take care of them, or operate them, the truck more than likely will meet its demise(sp) do to OPPERATOR ERROR!!

Oh BTW the Jr xr-2 is not even in the same class as the TQ's, it is a computerised digital radio, and it is not an entry level radio for that matter!!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:29 PM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey xtreme, are any of your wires in the receiver box pinched? This will cause a radio malfunction.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:52 PM
grampi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I could deal with busting up my T-Maxx due to operator error, but not due to this suck-***** radio! I'm running an Airtronics Blazer in my Maxx right now. It's one of Airtronics' lower end radios, and it's 100 times better than the POS TQ3 radio.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:03 PM
hoodiegadoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yea it could be pinched or even slit wires in the radio lines somewhere....check out all the wires on the truck and you will probably find something.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:50 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Make sure your not running under power lines, my TQ3 went out the day after I got the truck, I gave it to my bro who is still using it but he bought a JR radio to put in it. We have 3 of them around one broke and two doing nothing.