Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

900 billion screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 02:58 AM
Unstable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 900 billion screws

after a weekend of really hard running I decided to clean my savage (IE tear down and rebuild)

I now can say that the savage is not a race truck for the simple reason that it takes forever to disassemble and reassemble.... sooo many screws.. so many bits that have to come off to get to other bits. but it is tough... it should be in a million pieces from what I was doing to it (instead of the thousands its in now )

so after breaking it down and hosing it off ( literally) I am half way done getting it back together. its still not completely clean but at least I got the weeds out of the drive train (mud bogging is fun )

gonna cut my new body tomorrow.. gotta have it semi clean for the photos
Old 04-15-2003, 03:31 AM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

Once you tear it down completely and rebuild a few times it get's a lot easier. Still not as ideal for quick racing changes as the tmaxx or other horizontal chassis trucks...but not too bad.
You can pull out the whole engine with just a few screws. Shocks and wheels are no problem. The only pain would be to change out the center driveshafts or maybe a differential or shock tower.
Change all the screws to hex head and get a nice set of hex wrenches and that should help.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:47 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

You know. I read somewhere "A good set of tools makes all the difference."

I said.. BAH! whatever.

Boy was I wrong!! I was stippin my screws and all kinds of crap.

IF you dont have good tools, especially allen wrenches, go up to the Home Depot and get yourself a good set of those things for 10 bucks!

ITs well worth it!
ram
Old 04-15-2003, 11:21 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Thats what i like about my monster pirate. 4 screws to change any part. The diffs are 4 screws and 2 e clips, and the motor is only 4 screws. very easy truck to work on. Good tools are worth having for anything, especially such small parts that are easy to damage.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Unstable

well I have a nice set of craftsman screwdrivers and a nice set of ball end allen wrenchs so the tools arent a problem... and I am slowly replacing the screws with allen heads now (as they fall out)

so far only lost 3 screws. 2 motor mount (didnt lock tite them when i pulled the motor to change the clutch) and one screw to the TVP.

the only problem is the LHS doesnt have enough of the right size allen screws... I think I might have to go online and get a ton of those 4mm jobs. (i can think of 16 it takes off hand)

Im itching to get back to it today as I want to see it with the new body (painted the dodge ram body white to match my real truck )
Old 04-15-2003, 02:26 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Yeah I like allens a lot better than anything else for R/C stuff.

Another problem is that they use metric standards.
And if I walk into Home Depot or Lowes.. chances are they dont have the 4x10 I'm looking for lol

Ace hardware has been pretty helpful so car actually. Try that if you have one nearby.

And dont forget to loctite.. or you will be sorry lol

ram
Old 04-16-2003, 01:08 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

so whats the best place to get r/c screws?

i been to the sponsors sites and a few others via search engine but didnt pay too much attention.

i would seem alot cheaper to find a place with the most common screws that fall out than to buy a $20 bag for a savage.

are screws really that expensive or can we find em cheaper?
Old 04-16-2003, 01:54 AM
hoodiegadoo

Originally posted by waverave
Once you tear it down completely and rebuild a few times it get's a lot easier. Still not as ideal for quick racing changes as the tmaxx or other horizontal chassis trucks...but not too bad.
You can pull out the whole engine with just a few screws. Shocks and wheels are no problem. The only pain would be to change out the center driveshafts or maybe a differential or shock tower.
Change all the screws to hex head and get a nice set of hex wrenches and that should help.
That is true...the first time I took it apart it took me a second to figure out the design but the second time its a breeze...
Old 04-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Celly013

900 Billion Screws in a Savage...
900 Billion Screws...
Take one out, scrub it about...
899,999,999,999 Screws in a Savage...
Old 04-16-2003, 07:22 PM
hoodiegadoo