Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

MT comparisons and "This MT is better than that" thread

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MT comparisons and "This MT is better than that" thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:10 PM
JCJR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT comparisons and "This MT is better than that" thread

The only thing that is constant with these trucks and comparisons are:

What do you want to do with it? and How much do you want to spend?

The T-Maxx is a better truck out of the box evaluated by 3 out 4 of RC Nitro guys.

If you wanted to spend $100 more, which would be a better truck? I still believe the T-Maxx will win because the Savage needs a beefier engine to compete an that takes about $200.

Now, will $200 buy a better T-Maxx suspension that will compare to the Savage's suspension? Probably would

How about $300, $400.

To put your question into perspective Buggis R Us, The reason there ar $3000 T-Maxxs out there is because there are parts out there that make the T-maxx unique and different. It boils down to What do you want your truck for and how much are you willing to spend.

Are willing to spend $80 for a nicely painted body so you can bash it, or spend $30 on a plain body to show off your truck?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:16 AM
LESLIEx317537
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by grampi
Just stop with these idiotic flaming posts. Neither of these 2 trucks is leaps and bounds better than other at anything!
Of course they do.

They are two diffrerent machines that perform differently.

And we have and are going to have more competitions with who's truck can get to the top of these dirt hills. As far as I've seen the tail heavy T-Maxx just flips over and rolls down the hill and all us Savage owners lol and grin.

O yeah, I hate that annoying jerky clutch spastic thing the T-Maxx does, the Savage clutch is nice and smooth like a luxery car. ahha

Ya know, in snow or loose gravel if you have a jerky clutch it can make your tires dig in and lose grip. I like nice slow clucthes that grip nicely and not jerkily.

If any T-Maxx ownder thinks that the jerky clutch is good, then I lol at you. Cause go ina real 4wd car and drive in bad conditions and rev the engine and let the clutch out quickly and see how far you go.

After abusing my Savage through 2 gallons, I've only broke dogbones and now I have Heavy Duty Stainless.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:57 AM
Rex2342

Originally posted by grampi
If they're selling the parts on their web site, I wonder why they aren't sending these parts out to the retailers? I'm actually glad I couldn't get a stock head for the 2.5 because now I'm getting a much better head. However, I hope I don't run into problems getting other parts in the event I break something.
I noticed that HPI took allot of stuff away from the general public too.They are selling allot of stuff that used to be availible at tower but now is an Exclusive buy at HPI only?I was trying to buy a set of clamp-on hubs from tower that I saw a few weeks ago and they didn't have them anymore but buy HPI had them listed as exclusive items.I wonder if traxxas is doing the same thing and I wonder why they are doing it?When the Savage came out the buy HPI sire was closed because they couldn't keep up with all the orders for the savage and all the hop-up parts for there other cars.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:58 AM
grampi

I know they're two different trucks that perform differently, but neither does anything A LOT differently than the other does. By the way, if you remove the reverse shaft and install the forward only shaft on the Maxx, it has a nice smooth clutch too. I didn't have any use for reverse anyway.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Rex2342

I agree with grampi.Iv'e seen allot of T-Maxx vs Savage threads and even participated in some but when the day is done it all comes down to how much fun we have with these things and how much stuff we can break so we can have an excuse for buying the hop-up parts
Old 04-29-2003, 09:00 PM
LESLIEx317537
My Feedback: (1)

I understand that they are both great trucks, but most of the time, from what I've seen, the Savage is less maintainance.

Also with my reverse gearbox, it's still a smooth clutch.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:34 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Looking for ino on Trucks?

Here it is.. all 5 pages of it.

Enjoy!

And PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!
Located up top on the right.

Its a lot more efficient and this way everyone wont have to re-type their opinions again.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:17 AM
gtxracer7

If you want to see a tricked out MP, you can see mine at http://www.geocities.com/gstarwin/savkill.html
Old 07-28-2003, 05:35 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Umm.. the ground clearence is so low?!! How is that a savage killer?

The first thing I would do to my savage is to get stiffer springs and get a couple of spacers in there to increase the ride height.

Whe does the chassis ride soo loow in the MP?

Ram
Old 07-28-2003, 05:44 AM
gtxracer7

Why does it? That's just for racing. Click the link for bigger pics and I think I uploaded the pics where I jacked the suspension way up. I had about 3 or 4 inches of ground clearance.

And the idea of killing the Savage was that at my track, all these guys think that if they drop in an Ofna 8 port that they can race and kick dirt in the stadium truck-guys' faces. Well, I am friends with a few of them(stadium truckers) and they didn't like getting run over, so I tend to "accidentally" hit the Savage trucks at 45 MPH

I have yet to break a suspension part and I just got rid of the spool that was giving my ring gears hell. Savage trucks still break, Doms don't...
Old 07-28-2003, 02:12 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Hmmmm.. Ok you may have revived some faith.

Theres a guy that owns a ...is this a Dominator or a Monster Pirate?!!!

Well he owns one that looks like that and he drives like crap .. it goes slow and breaks often.
I do believe "its all in the driving" )

Ram
Old 07-28-2003, 02:44 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by Rex2342
I noticed that HPI took allot of stuff away from the general public too.They are selling allot of stuff that used to be availible at tower but now is an Exclusive buy at HPI only?I was trying to buy a set of clamp-on hubs from tower that I saw a few weeks ago and they didn't have them anymore but buy HPI had them listed as exclusive items.I wonder if traxxas is doing the same thing and I wonder why they are doing it?When the Savage came out the buy HPI sire was closed because they couldn't keep up with all the orders for the savage and all the hop-up parts for there other cars.
First Id like to point out im only replaying because im REALLY bored.

I don't think HPI's clam on hexes are available yet. just the HB ones and a few other companies have the clamp on hexes.

I finaly got my savage dialed in (well almost) Ithink i repalced allt he weak links, but not the engine.

HD Dogbones all 6 $50
Motosaver air filter $28
Fuel Filter $6
Failsafe $35
Hump Pack with chargign jack $25
RPM Stable Maxx Monsterclaws (offset rims) $30
trinity tire foams $15
Monster pirate Steering (Servo saver and bearings) one tuff servo saver! $20 or something
ofna throttle linkage $8
645MG Steering servo and stock steering servo for throttle / brakes
Dual Tank Mod $8
Locktighted Tranny screw.
HB Race shocks onthe way to fox saggy shocks

My Girl Friend tested it for weaknesses when i let her drive, She crashed it so hard I thought the wheel was going to snap in half, and smoke poped in the exhaust pipe & carb from getting flooded I thought for sure somehting was broken.

Im sure a Tmaxx needs a few things fixed also from the get go, but either way this hobby isnt cheap! I still need clutch engine and pipe!

And for the guy trying to break savages with hid dominator, be carefull or someone might break you! heh

If the stock savage does 31 (no pipe or air filter replacmenets) and the Tmaxx does 44MPH stock, then what happens when a Tmaxx collides with a savage when both at full speed. That would be a great test and very fun video to watch. Any volunteers?
Old 08-22-2003, 04:35 PM
gHeTTo_SaVaGe

some of you talked about putting better engines on a maxx. now is this after or before you blow away the plastic drive components? the maxx needs the $400 hop ups because the arms are like twigs, even aluminum bulkheads break and getting a aluminum skid plate is the only way to make them stronger. i have had a maxx and and i got sick with it breaking all the time. If you gave $200 to a maxx and savage, the savage would get a picco .26 and a bigger clutch bell(hpi now includes hd dogbones in there savages) for the maxx you either go with sirio and finish only half the race or beef it up and get out powered by the savage or with the savage ss just get a radio ($350 + $40 for am radio+ 1 basic servo and $40 for a hi torque steering servo = $430 for a 40mph+ truck that will handle just as good or better than a $1000 maxx
Old 08-23-2003, 06:57 PM
grampi

It looks like the discussions of which MT is the best hasn't changed much since I stopped posting in here about 3 months ago. The debate is still raging between the Savage and the Maxx. The debate is going to become more complicated in the next few weeks with the release of the Savage SS and the MGT. From what I've read about these new MT's, I doubt the standard Savage and T-Maxx will be able to compete.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:51 PM
MGT

"If the stock savage does 31 (no pipe or air filter replacmenets) and the Tmaxx does 44MPH stock, then what happens when a Tmaxx collides with a savage when both at full speed. That would be a great test and very fun video to watch. Any volunteers?"

It's funny that you say that because I have talked to a guy that ownes a pertty hopped up t-maxx. He and his buddy who just got the savage rtr were both running in a big open parking lot. They were just messing around i quess making high speed passes. And they frickin ran into each out both going WOT. Well needless to say that the t-maxx broke in 1/2 (we all know what that looks like) and some other minior parts and ummmmm nothing happened to the savage but it flipped over. He said that it costed him about $75 i think to get his t-maxx back up and running.
And I do have a savage and I have money into it but I will play chicken with any t-maxx at any time. I live in Antioch IL. Later