Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

MT comparisons and "This MT is better than that" thread

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MT comparisons and "This MT is better than that" thread

Old 04-17-2003, 04:28 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT comparisons and "This MT is better than that" thread

What I wanna know...

Sure you all have the same $400 Savage and Tmaxx.

Some of yall say your 21 Tmaxx is king of the hill.
Well, how much have you guys spent and what do you have on there?
This whole tmaxx vs savage thing is waay over rated because your trucks are NOT all the same!!!

Many of you guys have spend hundreds, if not thousands upgrading their trucks.

What I'm wondering is, is there a better way?

Instead of buying cheap stuff and upgrading, is there a truck out there thats actually worth more than $1000?

Something equivalent to the Kanai2, where it hauls a## straight out of the box?

Thanks for your response!
ram
Old 04-17-2003, 06:32 AM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Just one or all combined? LOL Ive had so many Tmaxx's It would be nearly impossible to calculate everything. But as it stands I have around $2000 into my current tmaxx, But have had nearly $3000 in another, I have also owned a few(4) with upgrades and receipts totaling around $1200-1500. And have spent around $2400 just with NIB tmaxx's about 6, and the worst part about all this is, Ive probably spent $2000 just for fuel alone. Now this is probably why my wife said "they go or I go" LOL but Ive had fun the whole time, and my wifey is finaly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!

As for a truck being sold that will cost triple if not more than a fully loaded K2, good Ole Robin of Unlimited Engineering(supermaxx) has been working on a full fledged Hybrid tmaxx called "Rody" after the all famous Rody Roem modified C5. I have seen a few test pictures of this truck on his track. Now I dont know how long it will be before he will actualy start realeasing them.
ANyways heres some info on it!! And a few spy pix!

Rody
Old 04-17-2003, 07:24 AM
adeoliver

Oh ad here is one of the spy pictures. This is a prototype.

Old 04-17-2003, 06:00 PM
XtremeDad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In all my searching, the closest to what you are talking about is the Dominator...
Old 04-17-2003, 06:04 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

See what I mean? These guys are not just running regular ol TMAXXes.. they cost 2-3 GRAND!!

It makes no sense to compare a thousand dollar TMAXX to a 500 dollar Savage. Since the parts are still trickling out, I dont think the comparison is very fair.

Almost every mod that can be made for the TMAXX is out.

If I can spend 1000 on a Savage, and make it perform like a $2500 Tmaxx, the savage is a better deal!!

I'm just trying to get an apples to apples comparison between the tmaxx (because its wildly popular) and the other MTs, especially the Savage.

If you guys see a link to a Savage vs Tmaxx DEAD STOCK comparison, please post a link!!

Thanks!
ram
Old 04-17-2003, 06:14 PM
FairlyNew

LOL

I have $275 in my terra crusher including purchase price, fuel, battery for electric start, and some spare parts I havent used yet.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:41 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I added mine all up the other day and I had $1612 so far into it. Basically and XTM conversion with engine, and a nice futaba radio and some other choice upgrades, I dared to add it all up.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:46 PM
minitrucker
My Feedback: (5)

i have verry little money into my t-maxx 2.5, i bought the thing stock from a total idiot for $40 and the only thing wrong with it was both front bulk heads were snapped!!! then i put a little bit of money into it (for body and such) i got a set of big joe tiers for free, bought a r.r. 76tooth steel double slipper spurgear and a 14tooth clutch bell (have fun finding one of these bad boys, i am holding back from telling who makes it) and my rtuck will waste any t-maxx when it comes to torque!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:10 AM
adeoliver

You know the funny thing about all this Tmaxx vs Savage crap, is generaly over upgrade the maxx or get a savage. Now most of these debates are based on converted tmaxx's and a savage. But stock to stock, there realy isnt no comparison, for the simple fact the Maxx comes stock with a .15 engine and is a 1/10th scale and the savage comes with a .21 engine which is a 1/8th scale. So in other words you cant realy compair the Hyper 10 1/10th buggy with a Hyper 7 1/8th buggy, theres just no reason for it. But for those that want bragging rights, take your trucks to a track and see who comes out on top, even in that event it wont matter, what matters is what you are most comfirtable(sp) with, and what looks better to you. If you would rather spend $1000 on the savage, and have a faily nice ride, then so be it but if yould rather spend $3000 on a tmaxx and have a faily nice ride then so be that as well!! All in all it just matters what you want or like the most!! New toys are always fun but something else always comes out , that everybody wants or thinks might be better then this or that!!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:03 AM
grampi

Oliver, we finally agree on something. The only reason I can see the Maxx and Savage are being compared to each other is because they're the two most popular MT's. Other than that, they don't have much in common. Comparing 1/10 to 1/8 of any vehicle type is never a good comparison.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:10 AM
adeoliver

LOL wow that must be a first huh. It just doesnt make sence but I can understand why most want to compair these trucks!!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:12 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

As I thought.. I didnt want to say this directly, but I suspected that people put in MORE money into the Tmaxx, compare it to a savage that cost half as much and say their Tmaxx is better.

I definitely learnt something here!!

Althought I refuse to buy an MT until the Monster GT comes out, I'm leaning towards the savage now.

Oliver.. thanks for letting me know exactly what you think of it! I'm really tired of people just bragging about their rides and not telling us exactly what they put in it or how much it cost
-ram
Old 04-18-2003, 02:25 AM
grampi

I'm dying to see a review on the MGT myself!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:47 PM
savageone

Buggies, I think you're right for waiting for the bft. Being the last to come out, and being from associated, it'll probably be one of the best.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

Default ME?

Lets see......I had a tmaxx, and as said, pumped over 1000.00 into it, got bored and bought a Monster Pirate.
Ill tell you.....A couple home made modifications(no extra money) to the MP and it beat the MAXX no doubt..(there I go comparing 1/10 to 1/8th) But my point is, price wise, the Pirate was a much better ride out of the box.
Im now getting a Savage, to see whats up with this truck. From what I read, lots of people like that truck, and with around an extra 250 or so bucks for minimal mods, it should rock.

Ill get a MGT (BFT) when they come out too....Itd be nice to have a truck right out of the box that rocks.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:33 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

This is great.. I'm hearing exactly what I thought I would. So I think I can correctly conclude that OUT OF THE BOX, the MP and Savage are actually BETTER than the Tmaxx!

I'm prolly gonna swap the engine once the old one dies out, but I'm thinking about the sus[pension and other chassis parts of the MGT. IF they are better than the Savage and MPs That'll prolly guide my decision.

-ram
Old 04-18-2003, 11:56 PM
JCJR

You can make all the conclusions you want, but that is your opinion. Eveyone probably heard by now that some magazine (I think Nitro or RC Action) made an out of the box comparison between the T-Maxx and Savage. There were 4 or 5 judges or testers and only 1 picked the Savage over the T-Maxx. They concluded that out of the box the T-Maxx was better. They ended by stating, and what this thread is about, that once you start adding hop ups the camparison ends and it depends what you are happy with.

My opinion is: depending on the enviornment that I will be driving my RC car, is were I put my money.

I used to race 1/10 onroad (HPI nitro RS4) and it was great because we had club rules on what is legal and illegal. Until MT's have a racing class, comparisons are not valid because there are no criterias.

The guys who couldn't drive ended up putting .21 engines in thier 1/10 cars drag racing.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:31 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

LOL.. I like your statement "The guys who couldnt drive ended up putting .21 engines in their 1/10 cars".

I think theyre also the kinda people who like getting a kick out of over-powering the cars

I'm really having a hard time understanding how the TMAXX can be so much better.

Can you give me a link to this article if its online?
One big disadvantage in my view is that the TMAXX doesnt fit 21s without a conversion kit.

My question is.. Why is the Tmaxx so expensive to mad and even then it only compares (and not destroys) a Savage that is only worth half as much mods wise?!

Thats why I'm thinking that the tmaxx isnt that great.

-ram
Old 04-19-2003, 03:35 AM
savageone

The comparison was in an issue of rcnitro.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:35 AM
grampi

I'm just curious as to why so many people are so concerned about putting a .21 in a Maxx. It doesn't need it. The 2.5 has plenty of power, and if you feel the need to overpower it, that's what the Sirio .18 is for.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:39 AM
savageone

Correct. The t-maxx is light. I've heard 21s don't do it much good; people just end up wishing they'd gotten a truck that was 21 powered to begin with......like the savage!
Old 04-19-2003, 03:39 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Torque is something that only displacement cant achieve. As far as HP is concerned, you can increase the compression and increase the rate of combustion.

Unless theres a fundamental difference in the fuel (like gasoline vs diesel, HUGE compression difference) you cant really get more torque other than increase the displacement.

Another big reason is that the .15/.18 class doesnt leave you with much choice. With .21s you have a whole array of engines to choose from.

Above all, if you can get more.. why settle for less and pay hundreds for a sirio when you can come close with a lower priced .21?!

-ram
Old 04-19-2003, 03:43 AM
grampi

Well for one thing, the Sirio isn't that expensive. There are a few places selling them for $189. By the time you buy the .21, and all the other mods required to drop a .21 in a Maxx, it'll cost you a lot more then $189.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:21 AM
adeoliver

This is going no where fellas. We are right back to campairing. But I for one am all for more power, doesnt matter what its in!! "Oh ya and I can drive quite well" Doesnt matter what it is, cept Stadium trucks, not to much on those!!

Anyways I wasnt saying you had to drop a minimum of $3000 dollars on a tmaxx to make it a nice ride, you can spend just as much on it as the savage and still have a killer truck, beleive me I have purchased just about every hop up thats been made for the Maxx's.

Take for instance. stock 2.5 maxx

-front and rear steel cvd's $60-130
-alloy lower braces
-Nice Fm radio $100-350
-High speed/torque servos $40-120
-upgraded diffs $60-300
-FOC on tranny(if wanted) $15-80
-Nice aluminum shocks $65-150
-complete servo saver(Proline or Ue) $35-80
-And a stainless steel screw kit $18-30
-Titan Hinge pins and tie rods $18-35

On the high side something like $1280 and a pretty indistructable truck.
And on the low side something like $450, and still a screaming fast tmaxx with better acceleration, and handleing.

Now on another note you can pick up every part Ive listed for half or less used on ebay or Rc forums, I mean I have built an almost complete Ue supermaxx for a little over a thousand dollars.

But as it stands I have know clue, what is available for the savage. But if yould care to make a list of the same kinda upgrades with high and low prices then maybe we could get a much better compairison!!

You May speek now!!! LOL. :stupid:
Old 04-19-2003, 09:15 PM
DFF

I think I sunk down about $1200 in my Sav, but that's because I have a RB C5 that is very expensive.

Anyway, for the absolute best price / performance / fun factor (my opinion only) here is the setup I would get:

- Savage RTR $400
- Hitec 645MG servo $40
- Picco .26 $180
- RB 086 pipe $50
- MIP perf clutch MP7.5 $19
- 16 teeth cluchbell $20
- Hot Bodies CVDs left / right $29x2= $58
- HB CVD center rear $14
- HB CVD center front $14

Total : $795

Less $80 resale price of the stock .21BB engine = $715

I would as well add those as nice options:
- Set of Proline Big joe on velocity rims $100
- New HPI roto start $46
(if you try this, you will never go back to p/s, and yes it fits the .26 no mods required ...)

Grand total : $860

You'll have to fine tune the beast a lil, but I am talking about almost free stuff like loctite, diff fluids, preload spacers, linkage mod, shock oil and the like.

For this price, you'll get one of the fastest (around 50 mph easy for the speed freak) / monster torque / wheely machine around, the best handling and jumping truck, a killer race truck, along with one of the toughest setup.

Believe me, it would take 2-3 thousand for a T-Maxx or a super Maxx to get that much performance and be reliable.

(And don't tell me a Sirio T-Maxx could even be close to this setup, although I do think it would have a nice perf / price ratio too)

To be honest, I don't know of any other Monster Trucks that would approach this type of balance between price / perf / handling / reliability either.

DFF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.