My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Traxxas dudes show no love for Smartech Magic Wheel

I signed up over at the Traxxas official forums because I had some questions and needed some info on my transmission. (didn't mention the magic wheel) I responded (probably shouldn't have bothered) to a Smartech bash and how the truck deserves more credit and I have to say there were alot of guys (not everyone) that were just jerks. I asked some legitimate questions on a seperate topic and got some flames. The truck is what it is, call it a knockoff or whatever. But when I ask a tuning question about the transmission they had I get all sorts of bull and nonsense.

Can't a guy just pull up with a post on their site if I have a different truck with the same component (and not mention the Smartech) and get a decent answer? Sure I would love a real Tmaxx but this is what I have for alot less.

Is it me or do they get all elitest over there?

Here is more chill and civil, over there I can't even respond to someone else without someone calling me a hack.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Sugafree

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Traxxas dudes show no love for Smartech Magic Wheel

Traxxas forum sucks
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
KRO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well , first of all you went too Traxxas own site and asked about a non Traxxas truck ...... The mods over there will shut down the thread pretty quickly for doing that .

Second , its a Smartech which IS a knock off of a TMAXX . Not a bad thing but youre asking people that own the truck that it copies and for some reason that pisses some people off .

As long as you like your truck who cares what other people think anyway !

BTW what was your question ?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
jessemxt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya screw them a holes[:@] ask us we are all good in da hood
Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 AM
sheograth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Traxxas forum is a joke, even for talking about traxxas vehicles. Nothing but 12 year olds pretending to be engineers.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 AM
binaryterror

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Try asking questions about it on the Smartech forum....
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: oldschool77

I signed up over at the Traxxas official forums because I had some questions and needed some info on my Magic Wheel. I responded (probably shouldn't have bothered) to a Smartech bash and how the truck deserves more credit and I have to say there were alot of guys (not everyone) that were just jerks. I asked some legitimate questions and got some flames. The truck is what it is, call it a knockoff or whatever. But when I ask a tuning question about the transmission I get all sorts of bull and nonsense.

Can't a guy just pull up with a post on their site if I have a different truck with the same component and get a decent answer? Sure I would love a real Tmaxx but this is what I have for alot less.

Is it me or do they get all elitest over there?

Here is more chill and civil, over there I can't even respond to someone else without someone calling me a hack.
Thats like going to a Chevy dealer with a chinese chevy knockoff and expecing to get warranty service.

I mean seriously you were expecting traxxas and their minions to not get upset when you buy a knockoff and then go to a traxxas forum expecting help. Maybe if you bought a T-maxx then you would have gotten the support traxxas is known for, but dont by cheap crap an expect the same level of support.

When you buy any product be it a traxxas, hpi, losi, AE, etc some of that price is R&D, support, engineering, etc when you buy a cheap chinese knockoff such as this smartech thing or the baja 5b clone you dont get that and shouldnt expect the company you are hurting by buying knockoffs to give you that support.

This crap just bugs the hell out of me, buy the real thing. If you dont you are not only hurting yourself by getting an inferior product, you are hurting the major RC companies who use that extra cost their cars sell for to make new an innovative products. If those companies dont come out with new stuff, then the whole industry suffers.

If you buy cheap crap and have no support to back it up, deal with it when it brakes.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 AM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK OK OK you are misunderstanding my purpose. I didn't as k like a dummy about a smartech product. I simply asked how many turns out should the transmission be to get shifting (can't find second gear despite being fully broken in/tuned).

I have the same tranny as the 2.5 other then the reverse and I got ripped.

Smartech support is a joke and I asked a legitimate question to others in a reasonable manner there.

They don't even want to hear about the same part on a different truck. In a community you help others despite their differences in platform. General motors is general motors. I didn't ask them why my Smartech servos suck or my Smartech motor tune, I asked about a part they all have and I caught flack since I tried to defend the knockoffs. I probably should have left them alone and not bothered giving the advantages/disadvantages but now I guess I have been labeled by them.

Do you know how many small block Chevy's are in other cars? I wouldn't bring a small block Chevy/ Oldsmobile 442 to a Chevy guy but can't you ask them a simple question about their motor and not get flamed?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shadow, you answered my post exactly as they did. I never claimed to have a Tmaxx, I asked a Tmaxx part question.
And again, other then the motor and radio they are nearly the same. I didn't ask them about my motor, I asked about the trans.

Don't you think Traxxas would have gone after Smartech years ago if they gave a crap? They know that the inferior motors/radios will be replaced with THEIR PARTS! They are reeling in the parts/pistons/arms/etc that the "inferior" MAgic wheel has.

I knew what I was getting into but I didn't think people would be so short minded about it.

Did I go and rant all over about that guys post about fake Tmaxx's and how my truck was superior? No. I defended a truck getting a bad rep. with interchangeable parts...that is all.

And I aint killing the R+D for Traxxas, they have bumped off quite a few buggies in their time (toy R/C) in their effort to create a better mousetrap. Look what that got them...the amazing Tmaxx platform.

The only thing I am guilty of is reading these forums and being informed the Smartech was a legal/legitimate copy. I based that decision on my purchase. I have since been corrected by the admin/folks at Traxxas which I am fine with. That is my only big mistake.

I didn't have high expectations for their forum although my first posts shouldn't have been in defense of the SMartech...that set the wrong stage.

I understand your point however knockoff's or whatever you want to call them still pours money into the pockets of Traxxas with parts/etc. now that the hobby is more accessable to people.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On a side note I am 100% for people on ebay representing a Tmaxx when it is actually a Tmaxx and not passing something off as such.

When I posted on the smartech forum I didn't get a response, I just searched the Traxxas pdf for a blowup of the tranny and got it there.

Lesson learned..help yourself.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 AM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KRO

Well , first of all you went too Traxxas own site and asked about a non Traxxas truck ...... The mods over there will shut down the thread pretty quickly for doing that .

Second , its a Smartech which IS a knock off of a TMAXX . Not a bad thing but youre asking people that own the truck that it copies and for some reason that pisses some people off .

As long as you like your truck who cares what other people think anyway !

BTW what was your question ?
I defintiely didn't do that. I asked about the 2.5 tranny specifically however some members put two and two together after I defended my truck elsewhere when a poster had a rantfest.

The question was originally about how many turns out my tranny was supposed to be as alot of other had the same problem with the same truck. I called up the 888 number and found out it was around 7 turns out to start.
Guess what..IT WORKED!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
binaryterror

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The question was originally about how many turns out my tranny was supposed to be as alot of other had the same problem with the same truck. I called up the 888 number and found out it was around 7 turns out to start.
Guess what..IT WORKED!
So you called Smartech's help to get that answer?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

Guess what..IT WORKED!
So you called Smartech's help to get that answer?
Their number didn't work...I meant Traxxas.

Is this the right contact?
U.S.Servic Center
Toll-Free:1-800-249-8428 ext 5935
Attn:Patrick Banks
E-mail:Patrick@nutech.com.cn
Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Beasley1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whats your question? It will be answered here in 2 minutes.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beasley I appreciate it but for the moment I am good.

I brought the MW to my LHS to help me get second gear. I turned it in all the way, turned out 7 turns and still couldn't find second despite a good tune.

Finding and adjusting that tiny little screw is a major pain. Really small and really dark in there.

Sometimes it pays to just have it done right once and not worry about stripping this/that or busting a rod.

Thanks! I didn't mean to say Smartech folks were not helpful, my question got a little lost in a post.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 PM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is there an wntire forum ONLY to SMartech? I see posts here and there but not a dedicated forum.

Thanks!
matt
Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Beasley1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah that little screw is a pain. I had to do it on my revo tranny a couple weeks ago. I had trouble seeing it also. Glad to hear your back up and going.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
binaryterror

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You called Traxxas about a problem with a Smartech...

Thanks for making the Traxxas vehicles cost more for those of us who actually buy their items and need their support. People like yourself are increasing the cost of support by Traxxas employees which in turn will increase the price of the next TMAXX/Revo or whatever.

If you have a Smartech question, I suggest calling Smartech. If they are unwilling to help maybe you should second guess talking at all highly of their knock off pile of junk and join the rest of us customers willing to pay a proper price for a proper vehicle with solid support.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shadow, you answered my post exactly as they did. I never claimed to have a Tmaxx, I asked a Tmaxx part question.
And again, other then the motor and radio they are nearly the same. I didn't ask them about my motor, I asked about the trans.

Don't you think Traxxas would have gone after Smartech years ago if they gave a crap? They know that the inferior motors/radios will be replaced with THEIR PARTS! They are reeling in the parts/pistons/arms/etc that the "inferior" MAgic wheel has.

I knew what I was getting into but I didn't think people would be so short minded about it.

Did I go and rant all over about that guys post about fake Tmaxx's and how my truck was superior? No. I defended a truck getting a bad rep. with interchangeable parts...that is all.

And I aint killing the R+D for Traxxas, they have bumped off quite a few buggies in their time (toy R/C) in their effort to create a better mousetrap. Look what that got them...the amazing Tmaxx platform.

The only thing I am guilty of is reading these forums and being informed the Smartech was a legal/legitimate copy. I based that decision on my purchase. I have since been corrected by the admin/folks at Traxxas which I am fine with. That is my only big mistake.

I didn't have high expectations for their forum although my first posts shouldn't have been in defense of the SMartech...that set the wrong stage.

I understand your point however knockoff's or whatever you want to call them still pours money into the pockets of Traxxas with parts/etc. now that the hobby is more accessable to people.
But I dont think you are getting it. Smartech MW isnt a legal copy. The Chinese and Taiwanese do not enfore US patent laws, there really isnt much Traxxas can do to stop it other than go after the people who import them. The legal fees to chase people around would be astronomical. These chinese cars are reverse engineered, not purchased designs from traxxas or anyone else.

This happends in other industries, not just RC. Its a huge problem and the sad thing is consumers are too dumb to understand its a problem, they just see saving a few bucks.

But as far as your parts reference, I guess to some extent that may be true a litte, but most of the parts people buy are hop ups so traxxas isnt getting any of that. If you buy a motor or a radio system you arent going to buy a 3.3 or a TQ radio. You are going to get an OS engine or a futaba radio system. You arent goign to get traxxas a-arms you are going to upgrade to rpm, etc.

Everyone has to decide for themselves if you are fine with buying a stolen item, but you may think it doenst have an impact but it does. I guess I am more sensitive to it seeing as how I have an engineering degree and am a business owner.

There was a great article in the March 2008 issue of R/C Car on page 20 tackling this exact issue. I would suggest reading that article.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:38 PM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

***edited***

forget the rant...I see your point
Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 04DarkShadowGT

But I dont think you are getting it. Smartech MW isnt a legal copy. The Chinese and Taiwanese do not enfore US patent laws, there really isnt much Traxxas can do to stop it other than go after the people who import them. The legal fees to chase people around would be astronomical. These chinese cars are reverse engineered, not purchased designs from traxxas or anyone else.

This happends in other industries, not just RC. Its a huge problem and the sad thing is consumers are too dumb to understand its a problem, they just see saving a few bucks.

But as far as your parts reference, I guess to some extent that may be true a litte, but most of the parts people buy are hop ups so traxxas isnt getting any of that. If you buy a motor or a radio system you arent going to buy a 3.3 or a TQ radio. You are going to get an OS engine or a futaba radio system. You arent goign to get traxxas a-arms you are going to upgrade to rpm, etc.

Everyone has to decide for themselves if you are fine with buying a stolen item, but you may think it doenst have an impact but it does. I guess I am more sensitive to it seeing as how I have an engineering degree and am a business owner.

There was a great article in the March 2008 issue of R/C Car on page 20 tackling this exact issue. I would suggest reading that article.

I wouldn't say I was dumb, misinformed by this forum...yes! But that is my responsibility to make a decision as I did.

Listen, even to the people who feel strongly about this, I honestly and professionally understand your point of view and respect that. Some generalizations about me/motivation for buying one were made that are very untrue but that doesn't bug me.

Would I have bought the truck knowing it was an illegal copy? Heck no! Am I going to make the best of a situation by using compatable parts froma Tmaxx 1st generation when parts break? Yes.

I undrestand illegal copies should not exist and I regret not knowing this until after the fact. I do not support illegal things like that and I would have definitely thought twice.
Sure I believe a used Tmaxx has alot of support/backing but I chose a new truck for my price range ($300) so I could build it up myself/break it in myself etc.

After all the flack I regret my purchase from that standpoint although I am pretty happy with the truck and intend to keep it up and running.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks SHadow...I have rethought what you guys are saying and I understand better.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:02 PM
infernalstone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I personally am satisified if you see why those of us who have traxxas products are upset that you using the customer support that's paid for by our purchases. I understand that you're kind of against the wall. When you purchased, you didn't know. Not much you can do now. I think this subject is a bit sensitive in defending Smartech because there are many vehicles that are made in China and then distributed and sold under different names. I think some of XTM vehicles are like that. But this is one of the cases where it's the other way. The T-Maxx was the original truck and the the design was stolen. What sometimes happens is the parts are cast in China, and they just make a second set of molds and start cranking out their own parts. A company my dad contracted for making underground cable installation equipment decided to try selling over in china. And to make it more cost effective, they decided to build over there. After a few years their sales dropped off, and they found out that their entire design was stolen and being built by a chinese company. And like said above, nothing they could do about it.

But yea, somewhere in the MT forums is an unofficial "Official" smartech thread. It should come up pretty high up on a search.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 PM
infernalstone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will add though that these forums are likely a lot calmer than the Traxxas forums. So you would probably get better help with less hassle here anyways.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
oldschool77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are right about the forums and yes I didn't realize my back was against a wall. I feel bad that I bought it now although I intend to keep it and chalk it up to learning a thing or two for the future. I absolutely have plans to support Traxxas with parts (i prefer the plastic ones, cheaper and in most cases as durable as alluminum in sertain instances.

I am sorry I offended Tmaxx owners with my purchase, I am just a guy looking for support on my illegal copy of a transmission.

There is alot more useful info OUTSIDE of the forums on the Traxxas site that is far more informative like diagrams/manuals and the like.

I understand why I shouldn't be using Tmaxx customer service after the fact, although their parts and upgrades will be on my car in the future (TRX motor/3.3 tranny). I knew Traxxas had great customer service from posts so I jumped on it. I figured they would know best on what was essentially their part.

Knowing what I do now I feel like crap because I believed the reference from one individual who I am not blaming, but I ran with it without backing it up and I falsely defended a truck I thought I knew the stroy to.

The truck is fine, it is fine for me and my budget. Most upgrades, although mostly to enhance stock, required minimal if not zero adaption from a 2.5 Tmaxx.

I feel kind of pissed but I see both sides of the story better now that i am informed.

UGH!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service