Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

are all after run oil brands can be used to any engine?pls help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

are all after run oil brands can be used to any engine?pls help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 06:01 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are all after run oil brands can be used to any engine?pls help

i have hobbico after run engine and ibought it for my terra crusher would that be ok..or did i buy the wrong stuff.some says wd-40 is not good ..and hobbico is for planes only.it doesnt say on the label though ..i want to know before i put it in my engine ..pls help
Old 02-24-2003, 06:02 AM
badboy2

Default Re: are all after run oil brands can be used to any engine?pls help

[QUOTE]Originally posted by badboy2
[B]i have hobbico after run engine and ibought it for my terra

it should be after run oil
Old 02-24-2003, 06:39 AM
jerrysu29

Default After run oils !

Badboy2 do like all us flyboys do, you can use automatic trns. oil or pneumatic air gun oils makes it allot cheaper and these oils are actually better for your engines
Old 02-25-2003, 11:42 AM
XR2PROBE
My Feedback: (2)

STAY AWAY FROM WD-40 THOUGH ..........IT SAYS IT DISPLACES MOISTURE .......BUT IN A NITRO ENGINE YOU MAY NOT WANT IT TOBE DISPLACED WHERE YOU CANT GET TO IT............LIKE THE BEARINGS OR THE CON-ROD
Old 02-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by XR2PROBE
STAY AWAY FROM WD-40 THOUGH ..........IT SAYS IT DISPLACES MOISTURE .......BUT IN A NITRO ENGINE YOU MAY NOT WANT IT TOBE DISPLACED WHERE YOU CANT GET TO IT............LIKE THE BEARINGS OR THE CON-ROD
Displace doesnt mean "contains" or "gives off" water. If there is no water in your engine you wont have to worry about where WD-40 "displaces" it to.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:35 PM
Krusty

It says right on the can (WD-40) that it, "PROTECTS firearms." Automatic firearms are precision mechanisms. The US military uses it (WD-40) to clean and PROTECT personal weapons. WD-40 is not a very good lubricant. It was designed to coat metallic surfaces and to prevent corrosion by "displacing moisture". I would think a model engine fits into that category. If you use a fuel that contains castor oil, the engine automatically gets a "protective coat" of oil that will reduce if not completely prevent corrosion.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:40 PM
Avalanche

Originally posted by Krusty
It says right on the can (WD-40) that it, "PROTECTS firearms." Automatic firearms are precision mechanisms. The US military uses it (WD-40) to clean and PROTECT personal weapons. WD-40 is not a very good lubricant. It was designed to coat metallic surfaces and to prevent corrosion by "displacing moisture". I would think a model engine fits into that category. If you use a fuel that contains castor oil, the engine automatically gets a "protective coat" of oil that will reduce if not completely prevent corrosion.

Yeah, displace means it keep moisture AWAY. It doesnt contain any water or "create" water. Just so you know, any OIL displaces moisture, some better than others. In fact its exactly what Traxxas tells you to use as an after run treatment in the T-maxx.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:24 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Dont anybody be dissin good ol WD-40!! I use on everything from squakin chairs, scrubby patio doors to rusted door hinges.. Works like a charm!!

I think its poerfect for model engines.. its flamable too!!
(Try it.. its fun)
Just dont try it with PAM cooking oil.. it leaves soot all over the place!! lol

Talkin about a spray burn test not on a model engine

ram
Old 02-26-2003, 09:59 AM
XR2PROBE

ahhhh yes i see the wonders of model engine builders at work here
how ever nitro methane attracts moisture like a magnet and as for using wd-40 in model engines you are forgetting one smale feture...........compatability and what happens to wd-40 when it meets nitro methane ......anybody?...well ill tell you its breaks down to become lacquer and that i am afraiod is no good in an engine
Old 02-26-2003, 10:06 AM
XR2PROBE

and another thing that they dont tell you about .the mfg...... of wd-40 is.... that given time a few weeks at most wd-40 washes away from moisture in the air and besides that you dont exactly dont take your rifle out and run it around the track a few times and exspose it to the elements do you? As for the military using wd-40 yes they use it for displacing moisture how ever they also use a metal impregnator which is totally different composition to wd-40 thus allowing compatability and that my freinds is asomthing to consider
Old 02-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WD-40 and why I don't use it. WD40 is a great rust remover, I spray it to remove rust specs on chrome and other metals/coatings. Now, let's say my steel bearings or other internal surfaces of my engine have some light surface rust on them. If I were to spray WD-40 in the engine, it would loosen it up and where do you think that iron oxide (same stuff used to make sandpaper) goes? Yep, if you have any light surface rust in an engine, WD40 may loosen it and the risk of it scratching a cylinder are greatly increased.

Your best best us airtool oil or tranny oil or power steering fluid, anything but WD40.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:23 PM
XR2PROBE

AND A BIG THANK YOU IS IN ORDER FOR HOMEBREWER
Old 02-26-2003, 06:13 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

RUST?
Aluminum.. Brass.. Chromium..
RUST: Iron Oxide...

There is no IRON in an RC motor!! Where does rust come from then? lol
Only when you have iron can you have rust

Yes, WD-40 is only TEMPORARY.. I use it to protect my engine for say.. 24-72 hours.. after that I use after run oil..

you may argue that its not even nevessary, but heck why not!
I like the way WD40 permeates and soaks into metal unlike heavier oils.

Nitromethane+ WD40= ???? Now thats a good question!!

I'm gonna go home and try mixing them up..
If I dont return.. its nice knowing you folks! lol
ram
Old 02-26-2003, 07:40 PM
XR2PROBE

IF THERE IS NO IRON IN A MOTOR THEN WHAT ARE YOU USING FOR BEARINGS MY FREIND
Old 02-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Avalanche

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US

Nitromethane+ WD40= ???? Now thats a good question!!

There is also no concern with Nitro and WD-40 mixing. Nitro evaporates so quickly its a non issue. Never mind the fact that any fuel left in the engine is already vaporized and/or burnt off due to heat. Also, to treat your engine properly you take the glow plug out and spin the engine before and after giving any after run oil/treatment, so once again the Nitro thing is a non issue.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buggies: Reread my post and you see that I stated that most engine bearings are steel.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:56 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Oh yeah.. I was talking about the motor itself.. not the bearings

and are bearings iron? I thought they were stainless steel!?!!

-ram
Old 02-26-2003, 08:00 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

I wasnt talking about your post in particular.. just responding to "rust flaking and killing the engine"

As xprobe mentioned, the only possible source of rust is the bearings right? but if they are stainless steel, we got no worries!
ram
Old 02-27-2003, 08:53 AM
dainjarouz

i cant believe it took this many posts to recommend Marvel's Mystery Oil (MMO). This stuff is recommended by steve pond himself! and everyone (i dont know whats up with this forum) and theyre mommas uses it for After run oil (ARO) and some people even use it for air filter oil (AFO).

Marvels is $4 for 32 oz at wal-mart, and the actual ARO from RC companies is usually like $5 for 2 oz!!! what a rip off!!!

you guys are better off with MMO, thats what i use for ARO and AFO it in my nitro car and plane.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:09 PM
XR2PROBE

hey dain thx for reminding us its been awhile since i heard anybody using it for afo and aro in fact up here in the great nw. its just not enough.............if you dont have webbed feet ..stay out of the pond
Old 02-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

marvel mystery oil is 2stroke oil that costs more. And bearings are steel which is made from iron and carbon, and it rusts, and the rust is iron oxide. The bearings should contain grease anyway.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:12 PM
bigbadbowtie

Ok tell me this......... if WD-40 is SSOO bad then why does a company Like Traxxas recommend using WD-40 as an afterun oil?

???
???
I have used it with great success along with ATF,and Marvel Mystery oil. They all three have worked great in different engines.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:12 PM
badboy2

could i still switch from hobbico to mystery oil.coz they said once u used one product you are stucked to that
Old 02-27-2003, 05:32 PM
jerrysu29

Default Snake oil Salesman!!!

Badboy2. You need to stop listening to that snake oil salesman ! . More than likely it's the Guy from our LHS too! I've heard of this same thing before. Like the guy that owns the local gas station telling all the Women that buy gas from him, that they will have to use his gas and only his gas once they start using it or it will ruin their engine if they fill up at another station !!
Old 02-28-2003, 09:12 AM
XR2PROBE

Look i assure you i am no salesman how ever what i was referring to or rather implying what ever you choose to use in the way of ARO just make sure of 2 things.......1 compatability with your nitro methane fuel and........... 2 make sure it provides your engine with the proper lubrication and protection that it requires

and on another note........the reason that i have stuck with SNAKE OIL is because at the time that i bought it it was and still is recomended by not only the mfg of my serpent but also by Gil Losi and at the same time it was put out Ron Paris also endorsed it as a good means of protection....and yes its the only brand that i use in my r/c vehicles......if your wondering as to why well here is a list ..................

1 conditions and smoothsmetal surfaces

2 lubricates and protects internal surfaces of both engine and bearings

3 reduces engine wear and decreases heat while improving rpms power and overall performance

4 it contains SP-10

5 its not just and engine treatment its an entire product line which includes.......1.feul additive that can be used in both nitro methane as well as in 2 cycle engines like briggs and stratton as well as zenoa weed eater powered boats 2. it also includes a wheel bearing grease that that doesnt attack teflon coated bearings but instead, it protects from flat spotting of bearings it decreases friction in journals as well as bearing races.3 it also includes an AFO that is compatable with all of the above mentioned...............

and last but not least .the kit has lasted me for 4 years and it is still availiable at my LHS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.