ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Questions from a Pirate Monster Newbie

Hi all, I've just bought a Pirate Monster, I've built it, ironed out all the teething probs (including uprating the steering servo, threadlocking just about everything etc) and have been having great fun .

Just a couple of questions,
Is it worth putting the 2 speed transmission on (and how difficult is it?)
I want to tune the engine (hyper.21) for more performance, any tips? Should I by another manifold and pipe?
I also want to get a head temperature gauge 'cos I'm scared stiff of cooking my engine by running it too lean. (I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm not experienced enough yet)
Lastly could I put some smaller wheels on to run on tarmac?

I appreciate any tips from you all
Old 04-22-2003, 02:51 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ill say this and take what you will from it ....since i dont own one of those trucks.

most people upgrade the header and pipe first. most stock pipes arent that good, so it might be a great upgrade. i dont know what kind of pipe the mp comes with so someone else might be able to answer it better.

as far as the on-board temperature gauge goes.....dont buy it...they are junk ...ive had 3 different ones now and i would have rather spent the money on a infared temp gun...like the ones made by raytek.

hope this helps
Old 04-22-2003, 03:53 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2-speed will make it scream!! As for cooking the engine, it only cost about $115 so no big loss!! But as another stated get a temp gun, Ive got a temp gun and mip temp guage they both work fine. The only problem with the temp guages are most people out there dont check how accurate they are, you have to test it by bowling water, and when the water boils the temp guage should read 212*, if it doesnt just calculate the diference right it on the guage and when you take a reading just add that amount to the temp reading and prestoe you got a close reading with in a couple degrees!! As for performance gains on the hyper, the only thing I know is to upgrade the crappy header and pipe to a Rb 086 1 piece pipe, or even an Ofna 063 1 piece pipe, your engine will not only run better but it will perform better from low to top end!! Now another way to get some extra power out of a hyper .21 is to port the case a little bit and match the sleeve to the case, but this is only to those that have a vast knowledge of how the engine works, and also requires a sturdy hand, I would not suggest doing this your self, but I can get you an email for a guy that has been porting engines for some time now, hes awsome at it and charges about 35 for big blocks and like 30 for small blocks!! Just Pm me for more info!!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:02 AM
ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm pretty sure I'll go for the 2 speed option, then I'll probably save up for the pipe.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:19 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by ManicMechanic
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm pretty sure I'll go for the 2 speed option, then I'll probably save up for the pipe.
Thanks again for taking the time to answer!
I'd suggest the pipe first over the 2 speed actually. I did alot of research into these things and almost bought one. The stock engine with upgraded pipe and 2 speed will push 50mph. the MP is basically a 1/8 buggy, older style chassis turned MT. You will also need to get different tires, becuase the ones on it put way to much stress on everything whiel making high speed turns or jumps. Also upgrade the front shock tower to the dominator's front tower so you can install longer shocks in the front, like in the rear hope these help!
Old 04-23-2003, 06:34 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With smaller and lighter wheels, it'll put less stress on the servo for maximum track performance. Another thing about the MP you have to watch out for is the suspension arms... rather fragile and parts are difficult to come by.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:20 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the suspension arms are only fragile with the huge tireson.
Old 04-24-2003, 06:04 AM
ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've seen those lightweight nylon wheels which take the dominator tyres. Whats your opinion on them, would they save the arms or would I be best just upgrading the suspension tower/suspension arms anyway. I only use my mt for fun (bashing) and its not going to be shown anywhere so I only want to by hop ups which improve performance/durability, I'm not into spending money to make my mt look pretty!!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:36 AM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by ManicMechanic
I've seen those lightweight nylon wheels which take the dominator tyres. Whats your opinion on them, would they save the arms or would I be best just upgrading the suspension tower/suspension arms anyway. I only use my mt for fun (bashing) and its not going to be shown anywhere so I only want to by hop ups which improve performance/durability, I'm not into spending money to make my mt look pretty!!

uh, the shocks will definately be a performance boost, because the ones in front are shorter than the the shocks in back, which isnt good for an MT. The lighter wheels with smaller tires are also a huge different in performance, speed and durability. Both of which i gave you are things you SHOULD do with a MP.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:43 AM
ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK,I'm pretty much decided then. If I replace the front tower, I take it I'll need to put Dominator shocks on as well. Also does this mean I'll need to replace the back shocks/tower etc to dominator stuff or will the stock shocks (glad I don't have to say that!) be OK for the time being?

P.S MT's are much more expensive in the UK, I paid 400 for mine which works out at over $600, so the wife wont let me spend too much yet!!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:50 AM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You wont need to replace the rear shocks, jus buy stock rear MP shocks or stock front Dominator shocks, you dont have to go expensive stuff here, jus get duratrax 1/8 buggy shocks or something like that, and the rims you need arent much either. Check out these sites for MP.

www.acehardwarehobbies.com

www.rc4wd.com

looking for another also, but gotta run to school.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:53 AM
ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks CaseyDDR,
I appreciate the advice...will keep you posted.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:28 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no prob man, thats what us RC freaks are for