RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Official XTM Monster MT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 PM
domg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official XTM Monster MT Thread

Hey all,

Since the thread I started previously with the subject "XTM Monster MT - First Impressions" is starting to get a bit long in the tooth, I figured that it would only be fitting if the MMT had it's own official thread alongside all the other great trucks discussed here. This way, we can consolidate all of the discussion about this truck into one place so there aren't too many repetitive posts or threads.

To start us off, I have included a pic of my MMT with brand new Pro-Line 40 Series Cheyenne wheels and Big Joe tires.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43252.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	893893  
Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Fecal Freddy

Default RE: Official XTM Monster MT Thread

Really starting to love mine. Tons of power and it just goes over everything. I just wish it had some sort of a slipper setup, or something to protect the spur gear from stripping teeth. That and someone needs to come up with a rollcage for it.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
jombo

here is mine with the nemesis tires and a modded xtm 28

Old 03-05-2008, 04:10 AM
domg

Hey guys,

Is it me, or are a lot of the XTM hop-ups for the MMT a little overpriced relative to other MT brands?

For example, it would cost you $149.88 to "upgrade" to the 3.5mm shaft shocks...the price jumps to $205.84 if you include the Alum. ball ends.

Also, the aluminum suspension holders/plates are insanely expensive...$20-$27 for parts that are the size of my pinky finger!! I know CNC machining is expensive, but shouldn't the cost come down due to mass production? Personally, I wouldn't upgrade any individual suspension component to aluminum on this truck unless everything was aluminum. Here's a good one - the Suspension Holder Support #149994, which is literally maybe 2.5" long and 1/4" thick...$20.00 for ONE in 7075! Holy ****!

Here's another one...Universal joint dust boots...a set of four is $10.00!! I got a set for my truck and honestly, the quality is not worth $1.00. They constantly slide off the axle and tear very easily. In comparison, Traxxas CVD rebuild kits come with the rebuild hardware AND four dust boots of immensely greater quality for $7.00.

I'm also wondering if these prices are so high because HobbyPeople is the sole (internet) proprietor of XTM parts. The single solitary LHS around me that carries XTM stuff also sells at full retail (although the owner is a great guy and I don't mind paying him the money as opposed to HobbyPeople). Creative Hobbies in Mendon, MA FYI.

I know I'm just hurting my credibility here by bellyaching about it, but you guys have a look and tell me what you think: http://www.hobbypeople.net/hopup/145621.asp

For the record, the hop-ups I've purchased so far are the Failsafe, CVD boots, switch covers (don't get red...they're pink!), front and rear sway bars, and the 7075 steering hubs.

-Dom

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM
rclynx

I'm also wondering if these prices are so high because HobbyPeople is the sole (internet) proprietor of XTM parts. The single solitary LHS around me that carries XTM stuff also sells at full retail (although the owner is a great guy and I don't mind paying him the money as opposed to HobbyPeople). Creative Hobbies in Mendon, MA FYI.
Even the prices they sell to us xtm dealers is a bit high but I think its where they make up there money for selling the units at such a low price. Oh and no they aren't the only people to buy from on the internet, there is also [link=http://www.xtm-dealer.com/]Here[/link] and by the way I have 10 of those pink things that are suppose to be red............lol........bet there on the shelf for a while [>:]
Old 03-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Fecal Freddy

Old 03-08-2008, 07:44 AM
rclynx

Very appropriate picture
Old 03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Fecal Freddy

I finally found a place that I'm able to open it up and have some fun with it. This thing can FLY. I'm really hurting for a reverse function, though; too often I find myself stuck in some very tall and very thick weeds.

I was heading back to the car and my buddy goes "Hey! You didn't break anything this time!" and I had this "Holy crap, I didn't break anything this time!" reaction. Two seconds later I realize that my MMT is only two wheel drive.

It wasn't broken, the screw that held the clutch bell on had backed out. I'm about to drive down to the hobby store to pick up a replacement so I can thump on it some more tomorrow. I hope to have video of at least 4 or 5 of my cars running at the same time tomorrow. [>:]
Old 03-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Captian Insano

Hey

I was wondering if you could post another pic of the MMT next to the MGT8.0, like in a size comparison.

Justin
Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Fecal Freddy

Yes, but I probably won't be able to do so until Thursday.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM
jezzowhat

Hi,
New to the forum.
I bought this truck for my brother for xmas and we just got to run it for the first time a couple of weeks ago due to the weather but my impressions of it so far is pretty bad.
The servos all flutter like the truck is possessed,the radio range is only about a 100 ft,2 of the tires on it are more egg shaped than round and the motor is a trial in patience to start and refuses to hold a tune,maybe that will get better when it gets ran a few times.We installed an old futaba am radio,reciever and servos and the range was then better and no servo fluttering. For $400 this thing is a pile of garbage,I own a Kyosho Mad Force,Hpi Savage X4.6 and TT EK-4 and any and all of them will eat the XTM MMT [atleast the one we bought] for lunch. I contacted the HS I purchased it from but have yet to hear back on it.Sorry for the rant and I wish you all the best with yours but I am thru with XTM.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
megamaxx

ORIGINAL: rclynx

Even the prices they sell to us xtm dealers is a bit high but I think its where they make up there money for selling the units at such a low price. Oh and no they aren't the only people to buy from on the internet, there is also [link=http://www.xtm-dealer.com/]Here[/link] and by the way I have 10 of those pink things that are suppose to be red............lol........bet there on the shelf for a while [>:]
thanks for the link to the xtm dealer,just picked up a X-FACTOR 2 and was looking for a good place to get parts,and i will be following this thread pretty closely,the MMT is one of the trucks on my wish list!!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:55 PM
rclynx

Sorry to hear your having troubles M8.........tires suck because there to big and they have been sitting with 25 lbs on them for how many months and i don't let mone sit over night on there tires [:@]. The engine is tough to break in but it will slam your Savage when its running right. pm me if you like and I'll do what I can to help you out [&o] this forum keeps shutting me off [>:]
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 PM
rclynx

You will seee parts slowly showing up under the X-factor 2 its the last one to hit the site.............if you e-mail the guy he has all the parts [)]
Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 AM
MMT GUNS

I'm new on site hello every one.

I see I'm not alone (cool) this is my truck nothing fancy yet but i have long list of after market parts coming soon for this truck, what can i say about my MMT? I love my MMT since day one. well is nice too hear from yau all in this page keep them pics coming i hope too hear from you soon thanks in advance.

enjoy my video. [)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQWnW...watch_response

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 AM
rclynx

Best upgrade I know of for an MMT is [link=http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=651]MOAB's[/link] , [link=http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23&products_id=655]Cheyennes[/link] and 23mm hubs [link=http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=681]HUB's[/link] [)]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79893.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	935887  
Old 04-26-2008, 02:14 PM
MMT GUNS

well I was thinking much more like the super charger, Bu-Ku pipe, aluminum rims and clutch from New Era Models, and a XTM 457 racing engine. It's a monster truck why not go big right? pics coming soon frome project MMT GUNS.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Lilredmachine

Lol, my mate installed an Axial .32 in his and keeps snapping the front CVDs in two.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:42 PM
rclynx

Tell him to lower the front end or LCG and adjust how far the arms can come down it will help to stop the cvd's from breaking. Also when your get them new, take out the set pin and put more lock tight on the set screw for the pin....there assembly sucks [&o] also helps to put a heavier weight oil in the rear shocks so the back end doesn't dump downward so easy [:'(]
Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
MMT GUNS

I had the same problem with my truck but i fix it with LST2 CVD's and pin kit and "boy what a difference" never broke again.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
NitroMMt

Hi Im new to this site, I have my MMt and I love it but am having a problem shifting into 2nd. Ive put 5 tanks thru it and still nothing, I was hoping it was a break in issue or something but no chance of that. It revs all the way up in first but never seems to shift into 2nd. Any ideas? Bad tune, bad part? Any hop up that would help? thanks for the help!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
jzemaxx

Here's another MMT. Brushless conversion though......

Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
domg

@ NitroMMT

Go through your user manual and look in the section that talks about adjusting the shift speed on the transmission. On many MMT's, the factory adjustment is for some reason set to a very very high setting, faster than your MMT could ever hope to reach in first gear.

If you look at the transmission, there is a slot-shaped opening in the middle between the two gears, located on the backside of the large gear. There are two screws inside there; one of them is a 2.5mm screw which holds the transmission together, and the other is a 2mm set screw which adjusts the transmission shift speed. If you don't see them right away, you may have to hold the large gear still while rotating the trucks wheels backwards, as the inner part of the transmission where these screws are mounted rotates with the drivetrain. Turning the screw clockwise will raise the shift speed, while turning it counter clockwise will lower the shift speed. Try unscrewing it about 1 1/4 turns from where it is now and checking to see if it shifts. If it doesn't and you're sure the engine is tuned well, unscrew it about 1/4 turn at a time until it starts shifting, then make any fine adjustments as needed.

Good luck with your MMT.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
NitroMMt

Wow thanks for the descriptive answer! I really appreciate it and will be trying it ASAP! Ill let you know the results! Thanks alot!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
rclynx

Darn good description, I get about one out of four that need to be adjusted and after you get it adjusted the way you want I usually put a real tiney bit of silicon on the screw with a tooth pic to help keep the screw in place or pean the edge of the housing, but I wouldn't suggest peaning it if you haven't done that before, [:-]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.