Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Has anyone made CF?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
schlags62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone made CF?

I was pondering making some carbon fiber and wanted some insight on the process from someone that has done it.
Also what is the major difference between CF and fiberglass? Strengh?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Straick7

Default RE: Has anyone made CF?

I have never worked with CF before, but the difference between the CF and Fiberglass is weight and strength. The CF, when made properly, is stronger and lighter than a piece of the same dimension made of Fiberglass. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM
binaryterror

Default RE: Has anyone made CF?

What are you making CF for?

If you just need flat shapes, you can buy pre-made sheets (if you truely want CF be sure you research the products, many "CF" products are merely simple fiberglass with CF final layers. Cutting or drilling requires Carbide tip or solid Carbide tools. Also be sure to wear a very good respirator as the CF fibers are terrible for you to breathe!

If you need curves or complex shapes you will need to form the CF and layer it. This is both hard to do and very expensive unless you do it for production and set up molds and sell parts.

Fiberglass is weaker, but depending on the part, it might be fine. G10 fiberglass is very similar to CF in many strength attributes, but it is only close, not a direct replacement of CF.