My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tmaxx LHS price rant

OK, so I'm laying in bed, thinking about my Senior prom, thinking about a check I have comin in the mail, whats goin on post prom, and what else im goign to do to my nitro car. All the sudden I get hit with a BAM!

My HobbyTown USA was charging 425$ for a NIB TMAXX. WHAT A FREAKING RIP OFF!!! They had a huge stack of them, with a huge "DISCOUNT PRICE 424.99!!" and Me along with 4 other older guys are jus shaking our heads, talking about what a jip that price is. Jus had to get outta bed for that, it was bugging me.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:16 AM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats nothing...one of my LHS had them on "sale" for $449.00...that was hilarious
Old 04-28-2003, 06:20 AM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my god and think, 425$ plus 6% tax... WHAT A F'in RIP OFF. that is $450.50!!! I could have a Mugen for that price! or great buggy chassis or even a 1/8th scale buggy RTR, a decent one at that. Places are beginning to get outta hand with this Tmaxx thing. I can only imagine how much the savage was at Hobbytown, I shoulda looked to see if they had one. Corporate hobby shops suck!
Old 04-28-2003, 06:28 AM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
Corporate hobby shops suck!
IMHO I think ALL hobby shops suck. Maybe back in the day before there were online hobby shops, they had a use, but 90% of the time I go into one (I have 4 by my house) they don't have the part I need. What is the point of the LHS anymore with the age of online shopping? Also, whenever I ask most of the people working there a question about my truck, most of the time, they don't know the answer and try blowing smoke up my a-- thinking that I don't know any better. Why don't they keep stock for the products they sell??? It's not like the stock won't sell. Also, there are very few hobby shops with tracks. If I owned one, I would have an on and offroad track.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:37 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would also have one that prints green back in the basement
Old 04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
FairlyNew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah they rip ya. I bought mine at Hobby Town for $415 a month ago now he has them in and is asking $430. People still buy them, he had 10 the beginning of this week and now only has 2 left. They guy even said he could charge $450 for them and still sell out every shipment. You wonder if Traxxas isnt artificially limiting production to keep prices and intrest high?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:51 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

$450??? ****. You think thats bad. This new hobby shop opened in the mall about 7 months ago, and was selling the nitro stampede for $450, and the OLD tmaxx for $650 and to boot, they didnt even have them in stock, they just special ordered them, and you had to pay half when ordering one. Now since they've got the 2.5 maxx in, their selling them for the same($650). Now Ive been buying all my toys, and parts off the net for a few years now, and I about passed out when I seen the prices this guy was getting for this crap, and these stupid people that didnt know any better were buying them left and right!!
Old 04-28-2003, 05:58 PM
badboy2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1 one my lhs have them for 429 same price as savage but with 3%tax still people buy it and my other hobby shop 399 for savage and 409 for tmaxx+6%tax thats why ithink its more cheaper to buy online like me i am getting the savage 399shipped from meganitro if my deal on the classified section doesnt work out
Old 04-28-2003, 06:00 PM
badboy2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

adeoliver just add 150more and you get 2 of them from the net..right ?thats too much 650 man youll get a tmaxx plus a lot of hop ups for that price..btw have u seen somebody buy it on that price?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:33 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have found that LHS shops near me have stuff "on sale" at the list price. Usually I will find the manager or owner and ask him if he will match the Tower Hobbies price. They always do.

They seem to believe in the "buyer beware" principle. If your dumb enough to pay to much, and plenty are, then they will be glad to screw you.

Joe
Old 04-28-2003, 07:38 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by JBrannon
I have found that LHS shops near me have stuff "on sale" at the list price. Usually I will find the manager or owner and ask him if he will match the Tower Hobbies price. They always do.

They seem to believe in the "buyer beware" principle. If your dumb enough to pay to much, and plenty are, then they will be glad to screw you.

Joe
thats actually a very good theory
Old 04-28-2003, 09:40 PM
JCJR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can't blame a LHS for charging more than online shops. They have alot of overhead and they need to make a profit to survive.

You have the right to not buy from them. But, I do know that to survive in this business you have to have a smart business plan.

It is all about supply and demand. And as a business person you have to make a demand for your product. It is the balance of those two thingsthat makes it a value. Do you perfer to wait 3-4 days for a part or perfer to pay 10% more to haveit the same day.

I try to support my LHS because they support and grow the RC business. And everytime I walk into one, I meet new people who are just like me, doing the same thing I like....race RC cars. I do beleive they need to market RC better, by setting up clubs and tracks. And most importantly listen to their customers.

If you think a product is too expensive, ask them if they are willing to match online prices. If they don't match or try to negotiate with you then that is their perogative. As it is yours to take your business elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yep how can my lhs comepete with tower when tower has a market of a few hundred thousand people and my lhs has a few hundred.

then tower pays for warehouse space and my lhs pays for retail space.

ofcourse online prices are going to be lwoer. this isnt news to anyone ...i hope. so dont try and compare it to your lhs cause its very unfair.
what you get with the lhs is a place where you see REAL people. with the time spend on this board i will prolly never meet one of you, but when i go to the lhs i see guys i bash with and that too is a non-comparison.
then the lhs gives you stuff like LIVE tech support. again no comparison.

i look at it like this.
buy the kits,rtrs, radios....any thing expensive online. you'll save yourself some money. but buy all your replacement parts and some hop-up from the lhs.
the big " hey Joe ...whats going on today? break something?"
is worth more to me that the 10% in parts.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:54 PM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by JCJR
Do you perfer to wait 3-4 days for a part or perfer to pay 10% more to haveit the same day.
Well, My LHS's (4 of them) hardly ever have the part I need or want. Heck, I'd be willing to pay 10% more for a part to have it instantly, but I have no choice. I have to order online because the hobby shops just don't stock parts properly. It's always, "we're out of stock." What the hell good are they if they never have the parts you need???
Old 04-28-2003, 10:05 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by POJack
Well, My LHS's (4 of them) hardly ever have the part I need or want. Heck, I'd be willing to pay 10% more for a part to have it instantly, but I have no choice. I have to order online because the hobby shops just don't stock parts properly. It's always, "we're out of stock." What the hell good are they if they never have the parts you need???
i agree, i rather pay that 10% more to have the part i need at that moment so i can go fix my car and get out there on the track. I absolutely hate waiting. I've been waiting almost 2 weeks to get my car running now, all because LHS doesnt have what i need or willt hey for a while. Basically ive been replacing all parts that can be worn waiting for the parts to come in. I've spent 100+ $ lately on new tubing, servo, belts, filter and such jus waiting for that 1 part i need. Hobby shops need to get there act together.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:19 PM
JCJR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also you might find the part your looking for from one of the LHS customers.

When I used to race RS4's everytime I broke a part I was usually able to get them from 1 of the 20 or so racers that were there and either pay them or return the part with a new one the following weeks.

LHS are good for getting people together, but I still beleive supporting a track or club is just as important. can you Imagine if you were able to make a deal with your LHS to give you a discount or tech support for your club. Help them build a track, or have them pass out flyers for your club. This is why a good hobby shop does those things.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:02 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

your reasoning only makes partial sense, but oh well. As for getting it from a local racer, most of us dont race at a track or have a track available for what we drive. There isnt a nitro touring car track within hundreds of miles of me. There is only 1 offroad track for us also, which is half hour from my house. Most of us just dont have the availability you do there.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:04 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah staten island needs a nice off road track. we have like 15 guys who would race but no where to build one since real estate here in nyc is such a hot issue.

casey what parts are you looking for?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:06 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by packfan88
yeah staten island needs a nice off road track. we have like 15 guys who would race but no where to build one since real estate here in nyc is such a hot issue.

casey what parts are you looking for?
for a while it was for the emaxx, now i need some replacement parts for my 4tec (nothing major) but its hard as hell to find the graphite plate replacements. I also need a lil arm thing that connects the chassis and the graphtie plate.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:58 PM
hpiguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you don't like your hobby shops prices then don't buy from them.

The reason Tower can sell for so low is because they are owned by Great Planes Distributors. The EXACT SAME people that sell to your LHS.

Usually Tower sells items for the same or lower price than your LHS can even buy the parts for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why you see the higher price.

I support my LHS when I can. If the price on a kit is only 30 bucks difference I'll buyit from my LHS to keep the money in my town. But when the price is significantly higher at the LHS I buy elsewhere.

The easiest way NOT to get a deal is to insult the LHS and their prices. Be nice and ask the employee if they could sell it for less. If they say no, then thank them for their time and leave.

Some punk 17 year old with his wiseacre friends insulting and laughing at the LHS will get you nowhere.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:10 AM
mike_evader2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you guys think you have it bad.. in canada, we pay $800 CAD for a savage (about $550 USD).

As for what hpiguy said, tower hobbies does sell for cheaper than many local hobby shops can buy them for.

Sort of unfair, dont you think?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:59 AM
JCJR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are articles on how to build a track on the internet. RC Nitro has an article but you have to look for them. A suggestion is to go to your parks and recreation division and have them let you use government land. There were 3 tracks within 30 miles of each other in So FL and two of them are in parks and another is by a trash transfer station. Talk to your LHS to see if they can support a track.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:01 AM
hpiguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is unfair. But then business isn't supposed to be "fair" or there would never be any diversity and products would never improve.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:27 AM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by hpiguy
It is unfair. But then business isn't supposed to be "fair" or there would never be any diversity and products would never improve.
Thats why I don't shop at my hobby shop...they commit highway robbery. No wonder so many hobby shops don't make it, they take advantage of people and after people start catching on, they won't have any customers to worry about.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 AM
hpiguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unfortunately that is too often the case.

Poor help and too high prices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service