Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Traxxas engine exchange ( rip off )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Traxxas engine exchange ( rip off )

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 01:40 AM
eletrick
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas engine exchange ( rip off )

Okay folks, here is the deal (mods, this is info as posted on traxxas's site as well as at hobbypeople.com), so please don't shoot the messenger:

If your engine is worn and you wish to exchange it for a replacement, you remove it, and send it in with 105.00 in US funds, and you get a new one.

OR: you go here for 5.00 US dollars more and buy a new one, and you keep the old one for parts, (the carb alone cost 50.00)
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/637207.asp

So you see, Traxxas is giving you no deal, its a true rip off!

The more I deal with traxxas, the more I like my savage. I was going to get a piston and sleeve for mine, and do the repair myself, till they told me it was 90.00 plus shipping (total rip off).
Also spent hours with tech support for the start/stall issue, but when I ordered the new engines, the parts guy said: if the engine starts easy the first run, then won't start again, its a clear sign of a worn engine (why did the tech not say this).

They were fast to tell me, my settings were incorrect as well. But when I asked why they ran great, for three gallons of fuel, and now its the settings, they had no answer. The parts guy said 3 gallons is way over par for these engines.

Totally disappointed with Traxxas (and I was a strong Traxxas fan!)

Richard Newman
Old 04-29-2003, 02:28 AM
grampi

I like my T-Maxx, but I tend to agree somewhat that I'm not too impressed with Traxxas as a company. I haven't had the same type of dealings with them that you're going through, my beef with them is their unwillingness to make their products available. Their T-Maxx kits have been nearly impossible to find at any retailers for several months. I don't think this is because they can't keep up with demand, I think it's a marketing ploy to keep the cost of the kits high. Trying to find parts for the Maxx is the same ol' story. This may or may not be a ploy to keep prices high, it may also be to lessen the risk of them producing items they could end up not being able to sell. By waiting until there's a huge demand for this stuff before they make it available reduces their risk of producing items that won't sell. Whatever their reasoning, the consumer is the one taking it in the ass by having to wait for all this **** to come in off back order, and pay the high prices all this waiting creates. This is a poor practice by any company for any reason. I don't care what the economy is like, you don't intentionally screw over the consumers as part of a marketing ploy.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:04 AM
hitler75

All the more to buy Savage!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 03:12 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Theyre all like that. You guys like the tmaxx mainly because of the parts base.

Your right.. most engines are pretty crappy. Thats why I like the kits.

This way you dont have to buy a car.. only to tear it down and rebuild with new parts and leave the old ones rotting in your basement.

I spent 300 on my engine.. but its supposed to last 10 gallons. and it looks good too

ram
Old 04-29-2003, 03:15 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

my engine = 225$

It better last at least 3 gallons lol!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:37 AM
Epik

Yea I've had the same problem with the 2.5 engine on my Tmaxx. I've only ran about 1.5-2 gallons on it and it stalls all the time. The guy on the tech support said it's the engine that's losing compression so I have to replace the piston and sleeve:/ He also said it's common after at least 2 gallons. Should have saved the $$ and modified my other MT.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:24 AM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Is what it's all about.
NOT CUSTOMERS!
Old 04-29-2003, 11:35 AM
eletrick
My Feedback: (1)

Default No they are not all like this.........

We bought five (my group) right when they were released, We got them from a hobby shop, fifty miles from Traxxas Office (they had fifty, two days BEFORE release day).

My lhs, got 3, three weeks later. Now thats sucks. For people way out in the sticks, you have no choice but to pay a higher price, or wait. They should send out compareable lots to all the
distributors.

As far as engines go, the trx15's we had (for almost two years, and many gallons of fuel), ran like a clock, even after the abuse we put them through. We have three savages, and they have a gallon or so threw them, so the jury is out on them.

TRaxxas as a company, is not looking good at this point to the
public. Look on all the boards, people are pissed about these engines (and its funny, its happening all at the about the same time to a lot of people).

Richard Newman
Old 04-29-2003, 08:55 PM
caseyddr

It actually really does sound like a bad batch, i mean come on, there were no major complaints till now.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Rex2342

Is anybody having these problems with a 2.5 that not on the new maxx?Maybe someone that is using it on an older T-Maxx could shed some light on how theres is performing then we could better establish weather or not it is just a bad batch of maxx's or if it's the engines all together.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:45 AM
FLYTRAP

Been working on a 2.5 for my nephew for two days, it runs it stops
it runs it stops and so on and so on.I have had two 1.5 maxx's
run the hound out of them .Problems none, Besides the normal stuff, glow plugs etc.Ihave been in RC for many years, never have I had so much trouble out of a truck,makes me want to drop kick it across the yard,almost did to today.There is a problem with this engine,TRAXXES sucking money from something that does not need to be on the market yet. I guess the thing that bits me in the #$%&%%# is that my nephew saved his money to buy this truck,( and it took all of it) and it is JUNK !
Old 04-30-2003, 04:06 AM
hitler75

Haha We may yet find some use in it as a football
Old 04-30-2003, 12:55 PM
grampi

Contact Traxxas. I did, and if enough people contact them about the same problem, they'll have to do something about it. BTW, don't drop kick the Maxx, it's a durn good truck, it's just got a sick engine. Mine will prolly be gettin' the Sirio before too long.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:26 PM
JeDi_MaStEr

I agree with most..TMAXX engines suck, I have an OS in mine and after 3 gallons it still runs like a champ..However the TMAXX does not suck..TMAXX parts are always avail at the few LHS' and the replacement parts are fairly reasonably priced, as well as on Ebay..I love my TMAXX wouldn't trade it for anything..

However, I also as Grampi will probably be buying a Sirio soon enough and keep the trusty OS engine as a spare..
Old 05-02-2003, 09:12 PM
grampi

Oh no, not another person I'm gonna have to wait in line behind!
Old 05-02-2003, 10:22 PM
JeDi_MaStEr

sorry Grampi..It will probably be another month or so before the warden (wife for you single folks) allows me more $$$..I just spent a bunch on assorted hop-ups...I'm even willing to wait until you get yours before I order!! BTW, which one were you looking to get?
Old 05-03-2003, 12:58 AM
grampi

The Sirio 3.0.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Ledgendary
Banned

Originally posted by JeDi_MaStEr
I agree with most..TMAXX engines suck, I have an OS in mine and after 3 gallons it still runs like a champ..However the TMAXX does not suck..TMAXX parts are always avail at the few LHS' and the replacement parts are fairly reasonably priced, as well as on Ebay..I love my TMAXX wouldn't trade it for anything..

However, I also as Grampi will probably be buying a Sirio soon enough and keep the trusty OS engine as a spare..

What is this about 3 gallons of fule and it's still running fine?? If I don't get 10 out of mine there is something wrong! I have a TRX Pro that has never been worked on and has gone through at least 12 gallons of juice! I sure hope that this is not the norm for some of you guys! I just want to add that although I do not race my cars and trucks I do beat the crap out of them!
Old 05-03-2003, 05:02 PM
caseyddr

i can almost garuntee you've lost performance you jus dont know how to notice it
Old 05-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Default There may be a bit of power lost over the time I have run it but,

I am still having fun and it still ripps! So replace your piston and sleeve all you want while I am out having a blast! :stupid: I know when my engine is going south it has happend just not in a lond time! I run it rich and have lots of fun!
Old 05-03-2003, 07:16 PM
caseyddr

LoL yah fun is what matters in bashing cases but hey you should jus be thinking bout replacing it soon, like with a sirio or something I mean you obviosuly know how to get long engine life, so you might as well put some money out and get something really nice soon
Old 05-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Default That's a good idea but,

I would not get the real use out of a top notch engine! I buy the so so engines and get by just fine. My Ofna .25 works pretty good (sometimes too good 2 trans and 3 clutches) and did not cost as much as a stock engine does. My Duratrax engines look like they are going to last a good long time as well. Why spend all that cash unless you are going to race??
Old 05-03-2003, 09:13 PM
caseyddr

Sometimes its jus nice to have 1 all out vehicle.. seriously, look into an RB Concepts or Nova Rossi just for 1 vehicle. Notice the differnece yourself and you'll never wanna go back
Old 05-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Default I don't want to get too spoiled!

If I were to get a great engine your right I would never go back that is why I am sticking to the cheap ones!LOL
Old 05-03-2003, 10:10 PM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

As far as the cut out problem goes, my father and I just got our trucks a week ago. We had all kinds of problems after the break in period. My turned out to be the low end needle. It was way too lean. I richened it up, and then adjusted to idle, and bam no more prioblems. This is also after about 10 tanks of fuel or so. I have been using Powermaster 20% nitro. My Father was having same problem. He richened his low end a,d leaned the high end a little, and he ended up with more performance and no cutting out.

Buggies,
I tried my airplane 20% Nitro, 20% oil, mix that I put together, wow was that a mistake. Wouldn't run worth a darn. 20% is too much oil for these engines.

And yes as far as the engine exchange goes, get a new one, it's a better deal. I think that once this engine goes, I am going to get one of the Sirios. I also should be getting my Traxxas made tuned pipe for the truck on Monday, I will let every know how much this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.