ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ducted air/fan idea?

Whilst lying in bed the other night, I had an idea about forcing some air under the body of my truck.

This is my idea:
Taking drive off the spur gear, you could attach a fan inside a tube. This tube would have an entrance somewhere near the frunt of the truck to scoop in undisturbed cool air. The fan would suck it in and accellerate it. Then after the fan the tube would split into to (using some sourt of Y connector, with one end blowing onto the air filter, and the other blowing onto the fins of the heatsink.
Taking drive from the spur gear means the fan could be geared to run at anything up to about 35,000 rpm (if the gear was the same size as the gear on the clutch bell housing). I was thinking of using that plastic conduit stuff.
What do you think? Really dumb idea? Good in theory but not in practice? Or am I onto something?
Comments, insults, P*ss takes please!!
Old 04-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bad idea, since it will be driven by the spur it will not spin the fan when at idle. if you block the air filter up it may reduce power. And since its a 2 stroke, ram air wont do anything anyway. It only works on 4 cycle engines. The cooling fan on the heatsink is a good idea though.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:33 AM
ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I understand what your saying about air ramming. I'm thinking more about supplying the air filter with cool air. At he moment, the filter is under the cover, right next to the heat sink, therefore the air is hot, and less dense. Colder air is denser, so more fuel can be added giving more power without making the engine run hotter. Also, I dont mean enclosing the air filter, just have the exit to the fan near. Most 2 stroke bike engines use an air ram for this reason so maybe it would work with a glow engine?
As for the spur not moving at idle, I didn't think of that. Maybe a pulley on the engine flywheel would work though?
Old 04-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Isphius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh ok. I thought you meant using it as a supercharger. I guess that would work. U could make the fan electric so you dont have anything dragging on your engine.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:12 PM
ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought about that, but you've then got a constant drain on your onboard batteries. I suppose I could rig up some sort of thermostat, (there was a post about a guy who put a water cooling system on a T Maxx but it was bloody complicated) and he used a small stat. Or I could use a separate battery pack (bulk/weight issues?) but I'm doubtful of the power of an electric fan.
This is all of course a pipe dream as I'm still rebuilding it after the last little incedent.
P.S. Have you looked at my other post? I could do with some advice on the pipe between the exhaust and fuel tank.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:29 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So your trying to get a fan connected to your spur gear to cool your heatsink.is that it?!

Sounds cool. But the parts would have to be made out of good high strength aluminum to take a beating like that!

Thats a pretty interesting idea.
-ram
Old 04-30-2003, 02:26 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The kyosho landmax has a pulley located on the end of the clutch bell powering an engine cooling fan. The belt used to power the fan is a large o-ring. It does a pretty good job of circulating air on the engine's heat sink.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:58 PM
JCJR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wanted to make a cooling duct like race cars have.

My idea was to make a round hole on the windsheild and connect a small duct staight to the Cooling Head on the engine, this way the head got a stream of air directly at it without lost of ambeint air. This method does not add weight cuz those ducts are pretty light.

I've never tried it, but it makes sense.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:46 PM
perculator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A water cooled T-Maxx wouldnt be that bad to set up.

If someone came out with an easy to add kit they would probably make a fortune. It cant be much harder than what the PC case modders do to thier PC's so they can OC the shat out of em.

Think of it.... An extra fuel tank instead of stock Battrey pack, some way to move the water... and a radiator head instead of a heat sink. The water could be moved by a tiny electric pump, or possibly a manual pump hooked up via a belt to the clutch bell. (30k RPM would rip it to shreds tho)

Heres the problem though.... Regulating the heat... How well is your 2.5 race engine gonna run if it peaks out at 150 because of the water cooling? And what if the flow stopped? What happens then?

If you can do it in a PC case you can do it to a T-maxx.... IMHO it would be like tryin to make an air colled Porche into a water cooled just for the sake of doing it.

Oh and JCJR.... I might just steal your idea. how hard could it be to rig a funnel and tubing up to your windshield? lol,,,
Old 05-01-2003, 06:12 AM
ManicMechanic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The water cooled T-Maxx has already been done, I just did a search for the thread but couldn't find it. The guy had a small battery powered pump attatched to a stat, and he'd made his own small ali radiator. The whole lot weighed about 8 ounces and reduced his head temp by about 80 degrees.
A bit complex for me though, I didn't know about the Kyosho. I'll have a look at that. Maybe I could steal some parts from it.
Not sure about how good this idea is though as if it was that good, surely the hardcore racers wanting to get everything out of their engines would use them?
But, the Pirate lives once more, and until I break it again this could be my little project.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:30 AM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Getting off the subject, I briefly thought about installing a marine head, and super cooling the fuel. Then just run the fuel through the marine head into the engine.

The Nitro would only be in the head a sec and probably wouldn't heat up too much, and the engine would actually (probably) suck it in still?? All in all, your engine would probably run cooler.

Imagine having to show up to race with a igloo cooler to keep your gas chilled LOL

Then I thought, why bother?
Old 05-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default This what the guy did,

He used a head off of a Nitro Vee engine and as stated above made his own radiator, then used a Perry pump to move the coolant. It runs great according to him and he gets normal temps of about 165-185! Also he races this thing all the time and says he wins often! It's a great idea and could be done but, the hard part is making the radiator!
Old 05-03-2003, 05:23 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like a high efficiency air cooling system better that the all water for many reasons.

More parts you have.. more parts to break.

Theres no way your telling me that the water cooling system is good for anything other than an Onroad car.

What happens when you flip? The marine example might work well though.

Have a little tunnel blowing air on a mini radiator and circulate the water with a small pump powered by an additional 6V hump pack or something.

But I'm definitely putting that funnel on my buggy
ram
Old 05-03-2003, 06:40 PM
mike_evader2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is a website
http://www.maxxtraxx.com/projects/tom/0801.shtml
Old 05-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Isphius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

imagine how lean you could run with water cooling... But i Think a high pressure electric fan blowing on the head would be much easier to install. I am think of this for my project rock crawler monster pirate, which has the gears and power to move the extra weight, but it runs hot. I drilled the clucth shoes so it engages at like 5000rpms, and it gets hot a t low speed
Old 05-10-2003, 03:13 PM
jalpaug

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the extra water tank idea. for a pump you could borrow from the four stroke airplane guys and get a pump that runs off vibration.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Justintoxicated

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

7V is enough to power most small electronic fans. but I like the duct idea better, only thing is you have to be going for it to work.

just cause you run cooler dosent mean you should run lean does it? I know on my ATV I run lean at night because of the cold wether and it is a BAD thing. Maybe R's are different i dunno.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Isphius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i guess its a 2-stroke atv...so yes it is ok to lean it a little when its colder out. And now that i think about it, it would be bad to just keep the head cool and run lean, because the crank bearing will burn up. U need crankcase cooling more than head cooling.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Justintoxicated

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Isphius
i guess its a 2-stroke atv...so yes it is ok to lean it a little when its colder out. And now that i think about it, it would be bad to just keep the head cool and run lean, because the crank bearing will burn up. U need crankcase cooling more than head cooling.
Can the crank on an RC engin be repared or do you just buy a new engin when that happens?

it would be bad ass if someone built a liquid cooled RC with an impeller (spelling) and a cool head, then we woudl never have to worry about running too hot, of coarse it would also need a radiator then heh.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:43 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The crank bearings can be replaced.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:04 PM
offroadnut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this is just my shot in the dark but i've thought about running a small tube(the size of my filter tubing) up to the hood on my savage, and sticking it up through the hood, sorta like i've seen on dirt track oval racers (real cars). But the tube to the head would be nice too guess i'll try both. this will get it some fresh air and push a little air into it if i fab a scoop on my body.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:07 PM
Bounty Hunta

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default dirt thrasher

i had a problem with putting 2.5 volts thru my motor and it blowing the solder conectors to the mechanical speed controller (yes i am an electric driver) so i mounted a 12v cpu fan off one of my computers im not quite getting the full 12v but i hav a bit of plastic piping with a scoop atatched 2 it so it forced air in the fan really just filtered out crap and helped spped it up....it lookeds kool 2, it only drew 0.09ah from my batteries so that wasent 2 bad if u want i may b able to post a pic of it....if i can find my web cam