T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 01:54 PM
gearhead22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Hi,
I have a brand new 2.5 Maxx.
After reading so many posts about the 2.5 motor, I am thinking about swapping it out for the Sirio immediately. I really don't want to have to pray to the motor gods for a good day and my knees hurt already. I figure it might be worth more on EBay now than after I find out I got a lemon. Any input?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 04:21 PM
347g
My Feedback: (2)

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

YES sell it ,its complete JUNK!!
Everyone went on and on about the t-maxx and the 2.5 , so I bought one , having all the problem everyone else is !! Traxxas is doing nothing about it calling it a tuning problem,BS, its JUNK , If i were you Id sell the complete truck and get anything else!!And anyone reading this and considering buying a t-maxx DONT you will be dissappointed!!!JUNK JUNK JUNK!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:53 PM
gearhead22

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Wow, that bad huh? What are you runnng now that's so much better?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 04:59 PM
grampi

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

The T-Maxx is a damn good truck with a bad motor. Replace the 2.5 with a Sirio .18 and no more worries. Don't give the entire truck a bad rap just because of the motor. There'a boat load of RTR kits out there with sub par engines. In fact, I can't think of a single kit that includeds a superb engine.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:19 PM
347g

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

I agree that most engines that come with the trucks arent great but they all keep running and last for more than a gallon of fuel, I have an Ek4, Mad force ,a duratrax thunder quake and Mt proALL of which run better , even the Duratrax!! the Mad force's engine is very good , runs perfect easy to tune and takes a beating NONE of whick I can say about the TMaxx , i just the only draw back to the Mad force it no reverse, Well if I get my T-maxx against a bush and the idles up and down it wont go into reverse anyways!!once again for all the hipe its got its sure fallen short!!JUNK!!
Old 04-30-2003, 08:36 PM
dan1220

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

look at gearheads post about the tmaxx for 300. What do you think? Its not on traxxas site
Old 04-30-2003, 08:43 PM
grampi

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Originally posted by 347g
I agree that most engines that come with the trucks arent great but they all keep running and last for more than a gallon of fuel, I have an Ek4, Mad force ,a duratrax thunder quake and Mt proALL of which run better , even the Duratrax!! the Mad force's engine is very good , runs perfect easy to tune and takes a beating NONE of whick I can say about the TMaxx , i just the only draw back to the Mad force it no reverse, Well if I get my T-maxx against a bush and the idles up and down it wont go into reverse anyways!!once again for all the hipe its got its sure fallen short!!JUNK!!
And once again, the engine may be junk, but the T-Maxx itself is a great truck. Reverse is a nice novelty item, but it isn't something I need. When I had it, I rarely used it. You're better off learning to drive or not being too lazy to walk over and back it up by hand. I can't drive AND I'm lazy and I still get along just fine without reverse.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:16 PM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Originally posted by 347g
YES sell it ,its complete JUNK!!
Everyone went on and on about the t-maxx and the 2.5 , so I bought one , having all the problem everyone else is !! Traxxas is doing nothing about it calling it a tuning problem,BS, its JUNK , If i were you Id sell the complete truck and get anything else!!And anyone reading this and considering buying a t-maxx DONT you will be dissappointed!!!JUNK JUNK JUNK!!!!!!

LOL 90% of the problems with any kit are for a fact that most of the people buying them are "NEWBE's",and are not treating them right and think its the engines fault?? How many of you actualy monitor temps on these engines, clean the air filters, or run a fuel filter or even change your fuel line on occassion(sp)? Or any engine for that matter. The simple fact is in every type of RTR rig, there is always a few bad ones, and normaly the makers take care of any problems you are having if its a factory defect, but then again some of you have to face the fact that you dont have much tuning experiance(sp) and still have alot to learn. Now Im not saying that the engine is good or bad because I have not run one. But I have whatched people with less experiance(sp) have problems all the time, and the people with alot of experiance(sp) have no problems and get tons of time out of these "junk" engines. When I first started, every engine I owned had problems do to my error's, and I went through alot of them before I got the hang of tuning and such.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:10 PM
grampi

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

I don't think the problems people are having with these 2.5 engines are due to inexperience. Many experienced modelers are having problems as well. Seems like an engine problem to me.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:33 PM
oooshutdown

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

hey.. everyone is saying to get the sirio engine for the t-maxx. im asuming it is just a drop in engine.. and does it put out the power that the 2.5 does? im about to scrap the 2.5 and get a new eingien. im constantly having problems such as it dies after about 3 minutes and like wheni give it full throttle it "boggs down" . anyways thanks guys.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:41 PM
POJack

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Originally posted by adeoliver
LOL 90% of the problems with any kit are for a fact that most of the people buying them are "NEWBE's",and are not treating them right and think its the engines fault?? How many of you actualy monitor temps on these engines, clean the air filters, or run a fuel filter or even change your fuel line on occassion(sp)? Or any engine for that matter. The simple fact is in every type of RTR rig, there is always a few bad ones, and normaly the makers take care of any problems you are having if its a factory defect, but then again some of you have to face the fact that you dont have much tuning experiance(sp) and still have alot to learn. Now Im not saying that the engine is good or bad because I have not run one. But I have whatched people with less experiance(sp) have problems all the time, and the people with alot of experiance(sp) have no problems and get tons of time out of these "junk" engines. When I first started, every engine I owned had problems do to my error's, and I went through alot of them before I got the hang of tuning and such.
Well, I've owned 3 nitro vehicles before this one, and I can tell you, I had no problem tuning them. I do all of the above and then some to take care of my 2.5. It just dosn't want to stay running (stalls ALL THE TIME). Think about it, if this is such a good engine, how come it only sells for $100? I'm a firm believer in the phrase "you get what you pay for." Why in the hell don't these RTR kits include a good engine??? I'd be willing to pay the extra $100 for an engine that will not give me problems. I even took it to my LHS to see if the guy there (very experienced with T-Maxx) could tune it. He couldn't and told me that it is hit and miss with the 2.5. He said some are pretty good, but most are Junk. Today I bought a Sirio .18 and I'm installing it tonight.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 PM
POJack

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Originally posted by oooshutdown
hey.. everyone is saying to get the sirio engine for the t-maxx. im asuming it is just a drop in engine.. and does it put out the power that the 2.5 does? im about to scrap the 2.5 and get a new eingien. im constantly having problems such as it dies after about 3 minutes and like wheni give it full throttle it "boggs down" . anyways thanks guys.
Yes it is a "drop in engine". The only mod you have to do is drill the stock pipe. The sirio includes instructions and they even provide the drill bit for you to do this. It also has more power than the 2.5. The 2.5 is a .15 engine and the Sirio is a .18.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:48 PM
Bravo3d
Banned

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

what made those engines don't last more than 1 gallon??
can be posible the oil%, what about using airplane fuel??
good... bad...
Old 04-30-2003, 11:55 PM
gearhead22

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Seem's like an awful lot of people are having a variety of issues with this motor. A lot of them seem to have a lot of experience and multiple vehicles. I bought the Traxxas because it is supposed to be easier to use. My friend has the Nitro Stampede and we can run it till it breaks something without any motor issues. I was also told by HPI never to spray WD40 down the bore or carb as they state on the Traxxas DVD for afterrun. It may be the reason my carburetor slide is seized on my Savage. Since it is a solvent and drys completely, it leaves no protection to prevent corrosion. I knew this being a locksmith. When spry WD40 on a piece of paper it pretty much vanishes. Where as Tri-flo or other lubricant's leave an ever expanding circle. With the info I have gleaned from this forum and others, I have decided to go with the Sirio 3/0 and sell my brand new motor on EBay just to be sure.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-01-2003, 12:18 AM
grampi

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

POjack you dog! Let's see some pictures of that masterpiece! I want to hear the full review on the engine, installation, break-in, tuning, power, the works. Where's you get it? BTW, Fantoms are damn good engines and they sell for less than $150.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:28 AM
maxxdaddy74

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

I too just ordered the Sirio from Tower for $179 and their throwing in a free Battery for the e-z start for spending more than $150 as well as free shipping. I also got it $20 less than anywhere else I've seen with just one catch, I have to wait till end of May for them to send it. I intend on using the pullstart from my 2.5 instead of the e-z start. Does anyone know if there is any mods needed to use pullstart instead of e-z start. Also if you have it already how do you like it and does it pull wheelies?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:29 AM
POJack

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Originally posted by grampi
POjack you dog! Let's see some pictures of that masterpiece! I want to hear the full review on the engine, installation, break-in, tuning, power, the works. Where's you get it? BTW, Fantoms are damn good engines and they sell for less than $150.
Yeah, I was out with the 2.5 today to give it one last chance and it continued to stall. It must not like me or something. Well I don't like it eighther. Hopefully the Sirio will like me. Get this... I traveled 40 minutes to go to a hobby shop I've never been to before and let me tell you, this place is awesome. Every part you ever needed IN STOCK (Including Aluminum). And they have everything from the cheap stuff to the really good stuff. It's all RC Cars/buggies/trucks and some boats (No planes) with an indoor track and they have 6 employees who specialize in different type vehilces...The best part, I only paid $175 for my Sirio....
Old 05-01-2003, 12:44 AM
grampi

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Originally posted by maxxdaddy74
I too just ordered the Sirio from Tower for $179 and their throwing in a free Battery for the e-z start for spending more than $150 as well as free shipping. I also got it $20 less than anywhere else I've seen with just one catch, I have to wait till end of May for them to send it. I intend on using the pullstart from my 2.5 instead of the e-z start. Does anyone know if there is any mods needed to use pullstart instead of e-z start. Also if you have it already how do you like it and does it pull wheelies?
I only have 2 questions for you. Why do you have to wait until the end of May for the Sirio, and why would you want to use a pull start instead of the EZ start? Pull starters are a royal pain in the *****!
Old 05-01-2003, 12:47 AM
Dlock

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

I would just like to state that my TRX 2.5 is running just fine. This is my first Nitro vehicle and I have had no problems tuning it. No stalling, great power, and easily tuned. Just thought I would throw in a good word for the 2.5. I guess I got lucky ......
Old 05-01-2003, 01:44 AM
maxxdaddy74

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

To save on the weight. And as far as the waiting till end of May they don't have any in stock till then.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:02 AM
grampi

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

There isn't but a few ounces weight difference between the EZ start system and a pull start. I'll take the few extra ounces to do away with all the headaches associated with a pull start.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:06 AM
gearhead22

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Hey Maxx,
Is your the 8 port or the 5 port?

Old 05-01-2003, 02:35 AM
POJack

Default HEY MAXXDADDY

If you want to cancel your order with tower and have me pick you up one and send it to you (if you pay postage of course), I could do that. Anyone else interested? I think they have 3 left. I paid $177 plus tax.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:39 AM
POJack

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

Originally posted by gearhead22
Hey Maxx,
Is your the 8 port or the 5 port?

What is the difference between the 8 and 5??? Power? How can you tell which one you got? Dosn't the 8 port have blue aluminum in the back?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:48 AM
grampi

Default T-Maxx 2.5 NIB

I haven't heard of two different versions of this engine, and none of the web sites I've seen that list this engine list more than one version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.