Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

new to Clods. help?

Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Big Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to Clods. help?

hey guys, im really sorry if this topic is beat to death. i looked around and didnt see anything that really applied. I will be receiving an older Clod 4x4x4. I'm not lookin to make this thing a speed demon or anything but wouldn't mind for it to be decently quick. Also i think one of the steering servos is out, what servos would you guys recommend for the truck? Last but not least if i were to run any of these configurations ( single or dual ESC) how many channel radio system would i need?

Good single or dual ESC for use with
A. stock clod motors
B. Titan 12T motors
C. stock (20-27)T motors
D. would 1 duratrax blast work with the stock motors?

OR Choices for "cheap" brushless setup?
A. 2 motor / 1 ESC ?
B. 2 motor / 2 ESC
C. what modifications would need to be made to handel brushless?

sorry for all the ?s lol and pre-thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 04:22 PM
HSVXU6

Default RE: new to Clods. help?

Hi Big Z, if you just want to have FUN, buy a brushless Great Planes Ammo 36-56-2600 In-Runner Brushless Motor or similar with a 5mm shaft and an 80amp ESC from that wonderful bay thingy on the internet, an external BEC, some lipos from the same place 2/2200mah @$60 del and watch it fly. We have done a few of these and similar on 1/10 brushed 4X4's and they go well and cheap compared to anything else
Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Big Z

so you are saying that the airplane brushless motors would work, as long as they have a 5mm shaft? I would prefer to run only on nimh (6-12 cells) since i have a good few of those already and dont want to spend a whole lot of money
Old 04-20-2008, 07:56 PM
HSVXU6

Hi Big Z, we have used outrunners (stay nice and cool) and also the inrunners, some of the ESC's that we have used will handle Ni cads as well as Lipos the program card (cost about $20 on your door) has Brake/off, soft full. Battery Type/Ni-xx, and up to 10Lipo. Protect Values/ 55, 63, and 71% Start/soft, medium, full. Timing/ auto, low, med, high. Power Protect/off, limited, cut off. PWM/8 and 16KHZ. what more could a boy want. The reason I like the 5mm shaft is because of the strength, some well know brushless motor company's only use the small shaft but they are now starting to catch up and are introducing the 5mm one. I think the new EREVO? has the 5mm shaft and therefore 5mm pinions are available from them, we machine our own from 3mm or whatever