Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got some ? for you....

Well I think I am going to take back everything good I ever said about the TRX 2.5. Even though it is a good engine with tons of power, I think that it's starting to die. And after only 3 gallons!!! This is truly disappointing to me. I would rather spend my money on hop ups than another engine after only 3 gallons. It's starting to run hot. When I lean it out to get the power that I used to have, it runs around 310 degrees. Do I have a dead motor, or could there be something else going on here?

So here are my questions:
1. It's starting to run hot. When I lean it out to get the power that I used to have, it runs around 310 degrees. Do I have a dead motor, or could there be something else going on here?
2. How can you tell when a piston/sleeve aren't any good?
3. What are some tell tale signs of a worn out engine?
4. If I buy a new piston and sleeve from Traxxas can I assume I will get the same engine life from them 3-4 gallons?
5. If I get a new piston and sleeve from sirio, will I get more than 3-4 gallons of engine life?
6. Should I just drop the money and get the Sirio 3.0? And should I expect to get more engine life out of it?

I would appreciate any and all answers from you guys. You all have been a great source of info for me ......
Old 05-03-2003, 03:53 AM
savageone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dlock - If you can push the piston all the way through the sleeve(after taking the engine apart), then it's time for a rebuild. And another 3-4 gallons would be fair to expect, assuming nothing else is wrong with the engine. A worn-out engine (according to everyone I've heard who seems to know what they're talking about) is impossible to tune and is prone to flame-out.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:15 AM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I just can't belive that your only getting 3-4 out of it??

What I do is run on the rich side and to get more power what I did was add more displacement! I still run rich and get that mind blowing power that everyone wants!
Old 05-03-2003, 06:18 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have the same problem but on a terra crusher though same gallons ran maybe dlock had a little more but mine kept on stalling and reaches 330f at one point..that was the 2nd or 3rd time i reached 300's..hard to start and when it starts after 1/2tank(if i am lucky to get it running) it dies out cause of its temp is way too hot..and 1 time my fully charged battery for my starter died out just startin for like 2 hours...
Old 05-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What could be sausing my higher running temps? I have to run it hotter to even get close to the performance I was getting previously. Could there be a leak somewhere? Ruined Piston and Sleeve? Help!!! hehe
Old 05-03-2003, 06:06 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think dying engines do what you explain.

Die randomly and dont start (expanded.. lets gasses thru)
Heat up for no reason

But you know I hear that the Traxxas engine kinda sucks..

Just get a good engine. I'd reccomend the Rossi Black magic. I have one on my buggy and you can run that thing at 300 after you break in in and it'll last you over 10 gallons if you take care of it!
The bad part? Its $350. No t bad considering you'd have to spend $500 on other engines to last as long as this one!

ram
Old 05-03-2003, 06:07 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

there could be a leak, check your gasket and your gas lines If not, i always thought engines were only sposed to last 2-3 gallons (at least the lower end ones)
Old 05-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So by getting a new piston/sleeve/rod am I essentially getting a "new" engine. And if I do this should I expect to get the same 2-4 gallons out of it?
Old 05-03-2003, 09:15 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Dlock
So by getting a new piston/sleeve/rod am I essentially getting a "new" engine. And if I do this should I expect to get the same 2-4 gallons out of it?
I'm not sure, those are jus the times i've read through here and other forums/RC sites, i dont try to push my nitro knowledge because i jus started building on it myself. All I know is i've tought myself to expect about 2 gallons then wonder if i need a replacement... Plus you hear alot about people needing to replace after jus a few in the RTR engines.. The engines that get the higher run times on a single piston/sleeve are those of higher quality.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:31 PM
Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get that if you shell out the cash for a quality engine it will last a long time for you, or atlest should hehe. I guess my question is are the piston/sleeve/con rod the most important parts to an engine? I would assume replacing them with replacement Traxxas parts you would get pretty much the same results. But if I decided to stick the sirio replacement piston/sleeve/con rod would it be safe to assume I would get better performance, and longer lasting parts since they are better quality?
Old 05-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW what nirto vehicle did you get CaseyDDR? And I would like to say welcome to the world of nitro, we all here knew you would like it hehe....
Old 05-03-2003, 09:40 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

haha thanks well right now I got the limited edition 4tec with a .12 nova rossi in it. I'm looking at a MT now, mainly eyeing down that Kyosho Mad Force because it comes with a very nice engine, isnt RTR, and isnt fully built. My XR3 radio will work great on it And I want to put an RB Concepts in it. I must say I like nitro better, but the only thing it doesnt have is the Emaxx, I'm sorry, but that truck is jus totally the best thing I've ever owned

As for the Sirio engine replacements, I have no idea about that But yah if u replaced it with the traxxas parts, you'd be getting the performance back of what you had when the engine was brand new.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good to hear you are liking it man. My Maxx is my first Nitro truck and I am having a blast!!! Had an old school Tamiya Grasshopper II and a Tamiya Blackfoot back in the day. Still have the blackfoot, and take it out once in a while when it's raining Well hopefully someone else will be able to answer my questions, but thanks for the input bud....
Old 05-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I wish I would have bought that insted of buying,

2 T-Maxx's and putting hundreds and hundreds into them! It does look to be a great truck right out of the box! Let us know how it works out as I may sell one of my Maxx's to get one!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:16 PM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DLock,
Are you still using the original plug in the engine? The stock plug that came from Traxxas, had a leak on mine. The weird thing was that it wasn't leaking around the plug, it was leaking through the plug, right around the post in the center of the plug. I replaced it with a Mcoy, and once I got the needle right, its been running like a dream, but I haven't ran mine as long as you. Check your plug though that could be it.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have gone through 4 or 5 plugs. When it started doing this I changed the pulg and did not do a thing..... Keep em coming guys, I need all the help/suggestions you have ......
Old 05-04-2003, 01:10 AM
hoodiegadoo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It sounds like you engine is on its way. To try and answer your questions...
An engine with a bad piston and sleeve will be easy to turn over by your hand at the flywheel with little or no pinch at TDC. It will be hard to start and hard to idle as well. especially once you have warmed it up. If you get the new p/s then you will have to break in the engine again so it basically is a new engine. And yea you can expect the same 3-4 gallons out of the traxxas p/s. Although I usually get 5-6 out of mine. If I was in your position I would get the new engine guts from sirio and go that route. I haven't ran the sirio before so I don't have any experience with that engine....
Old 05-04-2003, 08:46 AM
jeeptuff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dlock,
I would say bite the bullet and get the Sirio, I had a never before ran 2.5 I wish I still had to hand over to you but got rid of it last week. You won't be disapointed with the Sirio, at this point i have almost 3 gallons through mine and not a single problem. The power this baby puts out is incredible.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Avalanche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you do any serious running with your truck 3 gallons is about right for a rebuild on a 2.5.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Dlock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been trying to do a lot of research on this, and well it lloks like 3 gallons is about par for this engine. Which kind of dissapoints me, but if that's normal then I guess I will have to deal with it.

I think I am going to wait on the Sirio 3.0 for now, and also wait on the sirio guts for the 2.5. I have heard the sirio p/s for the 2.5 lasted only 2 gallons. I have been chatting with a guy on the MaxTraxx forum and he has suggested I get my p/s "pinched" There is a guy that for about $25 you send him you p/s, he "renews" them, and send them back. Supposedly making them good as new. I figure it's worth a shot and you can get this done to your p/s as many times as you want. If I can do this and get another 3-4 gallons out of the p/s then it seems like a good deal to me. Iwill for sure keep you guys updated to see if this works. Right now I am going to check my truck for leaks, check the p/s, and take the engine apart. wish me luck......
Old 05-04-2003, 02:54 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh yeah dude.

Definitely. If you only have a few gallons through it then its gonna be worth it. But remember that they sorta "shrink" the sleeve so it once again matches with the piston.

They dont, however, do anything to the crank/con rod etc.

After about 8 gallons or so I wouldnt be surprised if something breaks! But at $25, its definitely worth it. Just repinch it till it dies..lol

ram
Old 05-05-2003, 12:49 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I replaced my p/s for the TRX 2.5 for $65. Blew my engine at 1 1/2 gallon cos I was stupid enough to let a friend lean it too much but the truck was performing beyond belief then... anyway, I now run my engine slightly rich but lean out a little on the LSN and it has been causing disturbances in the neighbourhood... I hope this will last me 3-4 gallons more...