Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

I just smoked my 3rd clutch in my T-Maxx with a Ofna .25! :disappoin Anyone know which clutch would work best in this setup (I am using stock spur and bell # but they are steel Robbinson Racing with the double disk slipper)? I have used aluminum shoes with no luck!
Old 05-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Has anyone used,

The Fioroni 4 point sliding clutch?? It sounds cool but is it?? I need the toughest clutch there is out there!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:20 PM
GPmaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

If you had bad luck with aluminum shoes before there must have been a faulty setup. We use nothing but aluminum on OS bigblocks dragging around a 14 lb all metal maxx and have replaced the shoes only once after about 4 gallons of fuel. The biggest problem with composite shoes is they do not dissipate the heat fast enough and the band spring loses its tension and the shoes melt. Try using OFNA or MUGEN aluminum shoes w/ the 1 to 1 springs and drilling 4 small holes (1/8 inch) on the flat part of your clutchbell, and run the shoes leading edge forward.

Old 05-03-2003, 11:10 PM
POJack

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Best clutch????

Originally posted by Ledgendary
I have used aluminum shoes with no luck!
And you want more plastic ones??? Aluminum is the stronger than plastic and will dissapate heat better than plastic. You must be setting something up wrong or something. What happened when you used aluminum shoes? I just ordered hardcore racings aluminum shoes.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I am not saying that I want to use plastic at all,

I just wanted to know which is the best out there! When I used the aluminum clutch shoes they just ground down to the spring in about an hour or so! When I used the plastic they lasted about 2 days! I don't know if the shoes I got were of any quality?? They were R/C Limited on Ebay? I will give the Ofna shoes a try! Thanks!

P.S. This is the same set up as I have on my other T-Maxx and it is working fine??
Old 05-03-2003, 11:53 PM
GPmaxx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

Also, too tall of a gear selection will cause them to get extremely hot and melt also........just food for thought.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:56 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Has anyone used,

The Fioroni 4 point sliding clutch?? It sounds cool but is it?? I need the toughest clutch there is out there!
Fioroni are SO GOOD!! If you can afford em, get em, ask Todd Marsh about those. he has his MBX 4 DECKED Out in stuff by them.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:21 AM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I was going through all my parts,

And I found a new 4 shoe clutch that I was going to use but put it away when it ran fine when the stock clutch but, I lost one of the springs! :disappoin :stupid: . How much better are 3 and 4 shoe clutches if at all??? I also have 2 sets of the R/C Limited aluminum shoes but again no spring (they did not come with any)!

Casey, I found a Fioroni on Ebay for 30.00 (Flywheel and shoe/disk) My guess is that is a good buy but, I don't know what they normally cost??

Can anyone tell me if this may be my problem?? My clutch bell is touching the flywheel just a bit but still it is. Would lead to my troubles?? My other Maxx's clutch is not close to touching it and it has worked fine from day one same clutch is in it and I have had it for over a year!
Old 05-04-2003, 10:13 PM
SixVi6-Camaro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

well the firioni clutch or the ofna 3 or 4 shoe clutch won't work with stock 32 pitch maxx gears becaause the maxx clutchbells are too small. Big blocks are to much for the tiny maxx sized clutch's either aluminum of composite. Your best bet is to move to an 8th scale M1 pitch gear and get a true 1/8 setup by buying the extreme performace parts slipper. I run an extreme performance slipper and 1/8 scale clutch, flywheel, and clutchbel. It grabs 10x better than any maxx sized clutches and last for gallons.

Extreme performance parts slipper

A bit more info here.

you will need the slipper, a 51 tooth spur ofna gear (either plastic, derlin, or steel), a 1/8 flywheel, clutch, and clutchbell.

is your other t-maxx a big block as well? if its a smallblock that would explain why its lasted so long. if its a bigblock what kind of engine is on it?

PS.. if you want to use the RC alloy clutches get This spring I tried aluminum clutches a long while back and they worked great for about 1/2 gallon. then they wore away. .21's are still just too much for them.

Noticed you are in IL.. where at? I'm in the NW chicago suburbs.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:16 AM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Thanks a bunch!

I will use the parts I bought today for my other cars and trucks (even tho they have not had any clutch problems) That helps a lot! I was looking at a 1/8 scale clutch today on the web but was unsure if it would work and as much as it cost I did not want to risk it but, now I can buy it with some confidence! Also I asked my LHS for a better clutch and they did not have one so I had to by the stock one just to get a spring for the alumium shoes!

P.S I live in Monee IL. south side right off I-57.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:19 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

Cheap isn't necessary bad... Ford built his 1st car for $150 but look at Ford today
Old 05-05-2003, 02:40 AM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

Originally posted by hitler75
Cheap isn't necessary bad... Ford built his 1st car for $150 but look at Ford today
looks like you dont knwo what inflation is 150$ was ALOT back then, ALLLOOOTTTT
Old 05-05-2003, 02:48 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

My case exactly... if you can make a $170 engine lasts as long as a $350 by TAKING CARE of it, then you will be in a better deal. If you're going to rip it apart the moment you lay hands to it, then you can't really complain about the performance it'll give you
Old 05-05-2003, 02:52 AM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

My case exactly... if you can make a $170 engine lasts as long as a $350 by TAKING CARE of it, then you will be in a better deal. If you're going to rip it apart the moment you lay hands to it, then you can't really complain about the performance it'll give you
you wont be in a better deal because the cheap engine will give you crap performance compared to a 350. Have you ever seen the difference in person? I highly doubt it by the way your talking.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:04 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

I've seen people racing enough to know not all good engines need to be top of the line money suckers. I've got a friend who's got all that hype engine from wherehaveyous, but he can never beat anything that some other fella with a finely tuned and cheaper one can perform... so that "expensive is good" mentality has never come up ever since... between Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari and a newspaper boy on a bike, who delivers papers faster?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:20 AM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

everysingle post you make has some off the wall comment that is neither fitting of the category or jus plain immature. A poor engine beating a good engine isnt the manufacturer's fault, its the driver for not knowing how to tune. Therefore your still wrong.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:50 AM
hitler75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

So putting $3000 into mods and better engine is cool, but spending $500 on a reasonable "bad" engine with good maintenance is stupid I get the logic now
Old 05-05-2003, 03:52 AM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Casey has a point!

Even tho I still buy and use the less expensive engines I am sure that I would get smoked if the next guy had a top dog engine that is tuned right but, I still have a blast running mine and they are fast and I do know how to tune them! My Stampede with a TRX is super fast after I put a stinger and ported it out! I can't keep the front end on the ground and I have a T-Maxx gas tank on it which helps it run for about 20min's! I would not spend a dime more for a hotter engine for this truck but, maybe for a 1/8! :spinnyeye
Old 05-05-2003, 04:10 AM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

So putting $3000 into mods and better engine is cool, but spending $500 on a reasonable "bad" engine with good maintenance is stupid I get the logic now
who the hell said spend 3000$ on mods? as an avid racer from RCRacing said, "Yea but being average price of a Decent .21 is $229.00." You go ahead and buy your 150$ engine, when my .12 will over power that thing. THere are very few excpetions to good engines at a low price, and the ones you are ranting about ARENT them.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Ledgendary
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Casey,

Originally posted by CaseyDDR
who the hell said spend 3000$ on mods? as an avid racer from RCRacing said, "Yea but being average price of a Decent .21 is $229.00." You go ahead and buy your 150$ engine, when my .12 will over power that thing. There are very few exceptions to good engines at a low price, and the ones you are ranting about AREN'T them.
Which one would you say are the excpetions???
Old 05-05-2003, 06:30 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Casey,

Which one would you say are the excpetions???
fantoms, OS engines, and the GOOD running TRX2.5s
Old 05-05-2003, 06:33 PM
Rex2342

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

Are you being sarcastic when you say GOOD ruining TRX2.5?
Old 05-05-2003, 06:35 PM
caseyddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

no, because for some reason the only TRX2.5's that are giving ppl trouble are the TMaxx versions. I havent heard any1 with stampedes, 4tecs, or rustlers complain about them, they are still one of the best .15's out there... expecially for the rpice. Downfall is they only 'drop in' traxxas products.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:02 PM
SuperQ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best clutch????

i guess I will put my 2cents in.

1. I believe O.S. engines are crap. I am a crappy driver, and a crapy tuner, and very new to nitro, but I can tell the difference between my O.S. engine, and the WS7 that I have now. In my opinion it is worth every penny to buy the more expensive ws7, her's why. I never have to tune it, and it always starts on the first pull! Hell that's worth 500.00 all buy itself. ALso it is a much more powerful engine. When I was asking around trying to compare engines, I was down to 2 choices besides buying another O.S. the onfa hyper 8 port, and the ws7. I was told that that was like the ws7 was a vette, the hyper 8 port was a yugo, and my O.S. was one rolerblade skate with rusted bearings! And, after trying the engines, I agree with that statement. In the case of the ws7, it is a very easy engine to maintain and keep tuned. That's one reason you pay more. Sometimes when you pay more for things, the higher quality means less tuning on your part.

2. For clutch I recomend:
Clutch Mugen C0750/Mugen 3 shoe aluminum trailing/1.1 springs
Clutch bell Ofna 1/8th scale 17tooth
Slipper Strobes slipper with Torlon pads/smooth slipper plates and spring with 1/8th scale spur gear (Ofna 51 tooth Delrin)

here is an article on clutches:
http://www.nitrorc.com/articles/clutch.html