Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

which engine on the savage

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:46 AM
hector4444

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which engine on the savage

i am going to buy a savage and i was wondering if anyone know what engine i should get for it. all i really ask is that the engine is less than $250. i havent desided if i should get a Picco .26, or the XTM .24.7 engine. if anyone has one of this engines or some other engine tell me the goo of the engine and the bad part of the engine.

THANKS
or e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 05-04-2003, 06:07 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

screw those engines, if you are going to spend up to 250$, get something thats actually good

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....oducts_id=2873

a lil more than 250$, but worth every penny...

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....oducts_id=3421

Todd Marsh has this, very very good engine Yes i know they are above your limit, but if yoru going to spend that much, get something thats worth keeping and taking care of.

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....oducts_id=4059

http://www.nitrohouse.com/nova_rossi.htm
these are at the very bottom, has short and long stroke.

If you are going to spend money on an engine, get something thats good dont get what everybody else has... something thats jus above par.

Oh and also talk to BRU, because he has a .21 Nova Rossi and he can tell you about the performance of those
Old 05-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Epik

Hey Casey, out of curiosity do you know what those engines top speeds are on a Savage. Also do you know anyone who has dropped one in on a Savage who can info me on the durability, because I don't want to replace the piston and sleeve after 2 gallons. <------ My experience from buying a 2.5 Tmaxx.... should have just bought a new engine for my Savage
Old 05-04-2003, 06:27 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by Epik
Hey Casey, out of curiosity do you know what those engines top speeds are on a Savage. Also do you know anyone who has dropped one in on a Savage who can info me on the durability, because I don't want to replace the piston and sleeve after 2 gallons. <------ My experience from buying a 2.5 Tmaxx.... should have just bought a new engine for my Savage
well these engines are alot higher quality than a simple TRX 2.5 or bb.21.. they take quite a bit to break in, on 1 review i read for one of the RB Concepts, the guy did in 10, another guy took himself 3/4 a gallon to do.. these things will easily last 5-7 gallons no problem, assuming you arent runnign WAY Lean. The casing also lasts along time (what ive read). I havent seen one of these in the savage, but I used to talk to a guy who had 1 in his Tmaxx .21 convesion. Top end if you gear correctly could be very high easily. VERY easily... Its all in how you wanna gear these things, the power is definately there to get what you want.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:37 AM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best bang for the buck engine out is the OFNA Force .25. Its only $109. The only other engine I would suggest is the new Pico .26, it supposedly runs harder than the WS7 and just as hard as the C5 and its only $179. I've yet to see one run personally but from what I've read in my Savage forums, the Pico is one SERIOUS engine.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Groundforce-RCU
My Feedback: (20)

I like the stock for now.......unless you got lots to upgrade with...You have a failsafe a good steering servo, better brakes and of course a fuel filter, right?
I went with a 5 cell..the Hitec 5945 digi, heavy duty dog bones,motor saver air filter, Dynamite pipe (love that ping) first off, I rewired an old abused dynamite failsafe, and installed that.
Im doing needs first, the stock engines fine till you learn your truck, trust me
Also When you upgrade that servo, put the steering in place of the throttle, and use throttle for reverse (who needs reverse).
Old 05-04-2003, 03:35 PM
waverave
My Feedback: (3)

I'm running the picco .26 now. Sure everyone is getting them but they are reasonable ($170-$190) and they are screaming engines.
I've had a hyper 21 8-port as well to compare to...the picco kicks ass. It has loads of power...so much that you will want to gear your truck differently so it's not flipping over on it's lid all the time.

The engines listed above are all awesome...I guess it just depends on how much you're looking to spend.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:49 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by Avalanche
The best bang for the buck engine out is the OFNA Force .25. Its only $109. The only other engine I would suggest is the new Pico .26, it supposedly runs harder than the WS7 and just as hard as the C5 and its only $179. I've yet to see one run personally but from what I've read in my Savage forums, the Pico is one SERIOUS engine.
heh there is no way it'll run as hard as these the Pico is a good engine, no doubt, but the RB Concepts are better its like the fantom debate going on kinda... they are GREAT for there price range, and could probably get more, but there are still better out there.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:35 PM
savageone

I heard rb was coming out with a pullstart version of their ws7, that's what I'm holking out for.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:37 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by savageone
I heard rb was coming out with a pullstart version of their ws7, that's what I'm holking out for.
I've never heard of a top quality engine coming with pullstarts....?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:39 PM
savageone

I never had either, but multiple guys at lhs's told me so. I should call rb and see.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:40 PM
savageone

Hopefully it's true.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:31 PM
SixVi6-Camaro

Well according to Rody on the RB board "they are looking into this" because of soo many companies making pull start conversions of RB engines to be used on monster trucks. I think it will happen.

PS... all the engines CaseyDDR listed are Non-pull start only and won't work on a savage as is. You would have to add another $100+ to the cost for machining and parts to convert them to pull start. Starter boxes won't work on the savage.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:58 PM
caseyddr

Originally posted by SixVi6-Camaro
Well according to Rody on the RB board "they are looking into this" because of soo many companies making pull start conversions of RB engines to be used on monster trucks. I think it will happen.

PS... all the engines CaseyDDR listed are Non-pull start only and won't work on a savage as is. You would have to add another $100+ to the cost for machining and parts to convert them to pull start. Starter boxes won't work on the savage.
that I did not know, the starter box thing that is, thanks for informing me on that.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:20 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

Dude..

I first pulled a .21 with a Pull Start today.

One word: WHAT THE HELL?!!!!! OUCH!!

Ok maybe more than one.

Dude I'm used to pulling .12s. Those are great with a PS.

But a 21 is PAINFUL man!! Especially when its hydro-locked!
I had more fatigue in 1 minute than I did after like 100 pulls iwth the .12.
And this is an engine thats been broken in already!

Seriously I agree with Casey 100% on this thread.

Although not always, Price really does mean performance.

I mean after I spent $325 on my Rossi engine I was like "What the hell was I thinking?"

But after I saw it run.. no one could wipe that smile outta my face!
And heck that engine will last me 10 gallons easy if I take care of it!

Yes the Traxxas motor is junk so your not the only one with such short lifetime, but I think you messed up somewhere. 2 Gallons is way too little!

Anyway, The picco does have a nice price tag, but Consider the Rossi Black Magic. 2.3 HP (Benchmarked on a DYNO. Not BS like others!) and its power band is pretty good too. (I've looked at dyno charts). Yes its 300+ but I'd buy another one any day!

ram
Old 05-05-2003, 03:24 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Default picco

Get the picco .26 It's the best engine period for the money. Way below your $250 limit and I will bet it will kick the c5 butt. Just cause it's a c5 does not mean it's the best engine. Yes it's great and makes great power. But so does the picco and I have never seen an engine with this much power...and I have been around nitro cars for over 10 years. You can find them for $159 at meganitro. Also, you can run a 16t bell, still pull wheelies at 10mph and hit 50 mph. Maybe the c5 can do that, but not for $170 it can't.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:11 AM
caseyddr

Default Re: picco

Originally posted by noahb
Get the picco .26 It's the best engine period for the money. Way below your $250 limit and I will bet it will kick the c5 butt. Just cause it's a c5 does not mean it's the best engine. Yes it's great and makes great power. But so does the picco and I have never seen an engine with this much power...and I have been around nitro cars for over 10 years. You can find them for $159 at meganitro. Also, you can run a 16t bell, still pull wheelies at 10mph and hit 50 mph. Maybe the c5 can do that, but not for $170 it can't.
lol your saying the .26 will run with a .21 racing buggy engine built for exactly what he wants... And do you seriously think it can beat a C5? the difference would be great, and the C5 will totally out last the .26.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:22 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

All given.. Money talks. And at this point I am tempted to suggest the .26 as well especially given the cost I guess theyre about the same because the C5 will outlast the pico.

But then again you get 2 engines for the price of one..lol

ram
Old 05-05-2003, 04:25 AM
caseyddr

Originally posted by BUGGIES_R_US
All given.. Money talks. And at this point I am tempted to suggest the .26 as well especially given the cost I guess theyre about the same because the C5 will outlast the pico.

But then again you get 2 engines for the price of one..lol

ram
You'll have to change the piston and sleeve way before you would on the C5 if you treated the engines the same, which almost equals the cost, and then ud still have plenty of time to run through the C5. Jus like you are going to do with the nova you own, you'd get about 10 gallons through it before a P/S replacement. on the picco you'd get 5 gallons at most with the same treatment. You'll probably have to replace the P/S twice before you would on the C5.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:30 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Default engine

Yah casey, you go buy that engine, then come see me. We will lay it on the line. I have close to 4 gal thru my picco. Still has great compression. I start it, and runs fine. I don't know where you guys get this stuff about 2gal and change piston and sleeve. I have little .12 that have over 5 gal thru them and they are fine. I guess some know how to tune, and some just tear there stuff up. I would not know the .26 till you have tried it. And yes, I have talked to someone that has the c5 in a savage, and he feels the .26 has more power on take off and equals top end. So go ahead and spend the $350, then come see me. Hell, afterwards I will let you buy dinner since you have so much money. I will have my picco for a long time before I have to change piston and sleeve out. I would not talk unless you have the expertise....which I do. There is nothing wrong with C5, great engine, but for the money the .26 is the only way to go.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Easy rider

CasyDDR,

please cheque your private mail, I have sent you a PM.

Thancks.