Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Lets all personally thank Dawn Sanchez

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Lets all personally thank Dawn Sanchez

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM
binaryterror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets all personally thank Dawn Sanchez

Well you can all read the story, effective 2008 and forward Dawn Sanchez and ROAR have officially removed MT and Gas Truck from National level events. Basically their goal was to put major races only running Buggy and Truggy. Weird how so many large races have no problem running all 4 nitro classes, yet ROAR must apparently be unorganzied or simply useless when it comes to hosting a race event.

ROAR ANNOUNCEMENTS
5-02-2008

On April 22nd, ROAR President Dawn Sanchez met with manufacturer representatives and Fuel Off-road Committee members in attendance at this year's Truck Nationals held at The Nitro Pit in Phoenix, Arizona. This group discussed the viability of re-combining the 1:8 Buggy Nationals with 1:8 Truck Nationals. It was decided that in order for this to work effectively, Production Monster Truck and 1:10 Gas Truck would have to be dropped from the Nationals program.

Those in attendance at the meeting were unanimous in their decision that this would be the most cost-effective method of handling Fuel Nationals. Not only would this be more cost-effective for teams and manufacturers, it would mostly help the privateer who has to go out-of-pocket for their expenses.

I suggest anyone who likes MT's or Gas Trucks and racing or even bashing of those vehicle types to voice their opinion to Dawn directly via email: DMSanchez @ cox.net

This justs puts the final nail in the coffin of my ever getting a ROAR membership. They can still run OLD dude class (45+) for the lame pathetic racers in electric, but god forbid they showcase racing from the #1 selling vehicle in the hobby the Nitro Monster Trucks. Buggies and Truggies can't post half those sales numbers.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
RCtruckRacer

Default RE: Lets all personally thank Dawn Sanchez

If enough people would sign up for, and race 1/10 GT and MT, then no doubt they might still be raced. Do you realize that Carlton Epps is allowing electric in the 1/10 GT class in RC Pro? This was done to try and attract more racers. It's the lack of turnout in those classes that got them eliminated, not someones biased opinions of the classes.

Sure, you can place all the blame on Dawn that you want, but this was a committee decision. And I guarantee time/money was one of the major issues. Combining the buggy and truck nat's means more heats. It could have turned into a 5 or 6 day event... It costs a lot less money for everyone to just have one event. And our hobby/sport has very little money.

Anyone that has been involved in ROAR over the last several years knows that Dawn stepped in at an inopportune time and has done a great job despite all the problems that were already in place.

If anyone really wants to see the GT and MT classes grow back to what they used to be, then you should try to convince non-racers to get to the track and race those classes. Finger pointing ain't gonna get the job done. If the same percentage of people that bought MT's raced as they do in buggy/truggy (10% is generally what I hear) then it would be the largest race class. But the opposite is true. Few MT buyers go out and race. If they did, we wouldn't be in this predicament.

And btw, you are going to be an 'old dude' at some point too, just like me. You should be looking to the future, and helping to support a class that you will one day be in. [)]

JMO

Rob
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 AM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: RCtruckRacer

And btw, you are going to be an 'old dude' at some point too, just like me. You should be looking to the future, and helping to support a class that you will one day be in. [)]
Nope sorry, I'll still run with the REAL race crowd. Sure I'll lose the advantage, but I race to compete for top level competition, not well lets put the geezers in a class for less competition. Funny thing is this only ADDS time to a race as most Old dudes still run 19t, stock, and mod classes.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
2DMaxLST!!

This geezer will race SMT class or not at all.

Removing the most popular R/C class from racing is counter intuitive to me.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

This man is my hero! Even though he races that LST! ha.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Clymer122693

ORIGINAL: 2DMaxLST!!

Took the words right outta my mouth. But I'm not a geezer lol
Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Soothsayerman

I can't believe they did this[:'(] MST racing must be on the ropes for this to happen

I will say though that at my local track in Austin, no one hardly races monster trucks. It's all buggys. They race buggys because they're more popular, easier to work on, more durable, faster and less complicated than monster trucks. Hot on the heels of nitro buggy's/truggies are electrics.

This is all a bit weird to me because people buy more monster trucks than anything, yet race more buggies. So which is becoming irrelevant? Racing or monster trucks?

All the races I've been in, I've raced with 1/8 scale buggies because there weren't enough monster trucks for their own racing heat.

blech... sad news[:'(]
Old 05-06-2008, 01:15 PM
shanty140

I think this will be a huge impact to the hobby. Lets face it, alot of people don't have enough money to get into Truggy/Buggy class, and where only able to afford MT. Sure a person can go out and buy a cheap truggy, but it will no way keep up to the $800+ truggy's out there. MT class is great, a person could go into a race and maybe put $100-200 into his truck and be very competitive. You would be amazed at our RC club, bashers would come out and drive the crap out there vehicles and have a great time doing it while also being competitive. Thats my $0.02 so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
IL2mSturmovik

I am saddened by the removal of teh MT class from ROAR
Its BS.
At least the LST2 went out rightfully on top!
Go Losi!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, its looking darker and darker for us MT owners[&:]
Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: IL2mSturmovik

Go Losi!
1 out of 7 is enough to make you excited. Thats a staggering 14.3% winning rate....eeeeeeeeeeee
Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Jerzferno

I cant for the life of me believe LOSI, Associated, and Traxxas, to name a few sat by idle and agreed with this. No way no how. These companies make models in the classes that were cut. Thats money out of their pockets in sales. Theres more to it than any of us know. ROAR will not survive for long. Its no longer Radio Operated Auto Racing. Its Radio Operated Truggy Buggy Racing.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
burningpoo

All I have to say about losing MT class is [:'(]
Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
infernalstone

ORIGINAL: Jerzferno

I cant for the life of me believe LOSI, Associated, and Traxxas, to name a few sat by idle and agreed with this. No way no how. These companies make models in the classes that were cut. Thats money out of their pockets in sales. Theres more to it than any of us know. ROAR will not survive for long. Its no longer Radio Operated Auto Racing. Its Radio Operated Truggy Buggy Racing.
Let's look at this a moment, though.
How many Buggies and Truggies from Losi and Associated do you see compared to LSTs, MGTs and Gas trucks do you see on the track anymore? I see plenty of Losi Eights, Eight Ts, and plenty of Associated buggies (And I'm sure truggies when they hit the market.) This last weekend I saw 1 Aftershock, a 2 Gas trucks. I saw more showing in a single buggy class than those two companies had in MT and Gas truck combined. Now, let's look at something else. Money. How much does an Eight roller cost compared to a XXXNT? Why get upset about a dwindling class featuring a car that costs less?

Now as far as Traxxas goes, well, they got a swift kick in the ding dong over this one. But Traxxas is adaptive, if nothing else. So this might bring a Traxxas buggy or truggy to surface sooner than it would have otherwise.

But like said either before or somewhere else. ROAR isn't the only swing on the swing set. There's plenty of other organizations running MT and Gas truck.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Snaut Rocket

ORIGINAL: Jerzferno

I think that brings back the issue that, when you are a hard core mt racer your not racing stock.
You basically changed that truck so much that you got basically a truggy. I bet thats where they got the idea from but I think its stupid.
Mt's require a lot more skill to drive on a track.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
IL2mSturmovik

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

ORIGINAL: IL2mSturmovik

Go Losi!
1 out of 7 is enough to make you excited. Thats a staggering 14.3% winning rate....eeeeeeeeeeee
Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
bentgear

Wasn't the number of truggies off some also from previous nats? Maybe its just the cost of gas to get there, folks worried about the economy, its a presidential election year, etc. that caused a lower than normal turnout..............that has been getting lower ever since truggies officially hit the scene. I hate it. Maybe if we all try and build it back on a local level ROAR will take a second look.

Ed M.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
RCtruckRacer

Please, lets keep this civil. Perhaps we should all focus on how much ROAR does or does not contribute to off-road nitro racing?

Ed, I value your opinion as much as anyone's here, how much has ROAR contributed to your local racing scene? Do you think it's worth it to the local track to retain their membership in the face of everything that has transpired? Maybe the majority of us could form another conglomeration that is more loosely based but yet able to get the same benefits such as liability insurance discounts?

There does need to be some serious discussion here.

Rob
Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Soothsayerman

I don't know how ROAR works or what their charter is or budget but some governing bodies get involved in promoting the sport. Do they do that at all? I'm not trying to put the blame on them or anything like that, but it seems like a natural fit and it would seem that it would hurt their membership not having mst involved at that level. I dunno, if people don't WANT to race mst, you can't make them so what do you do?

I guess it's all good but if more people buy monster trucks than anything else wouldn't it be better for all of us if there were more interest? I guess it all boils down to interest and what's available at a local level. If there is no track where your hobby shop is, then you're not going to be interested at all in racing. Just seems a shame.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
bentgear

Rob, right now we don't even have a local ROAR track, closed Dec 31 last year. MT racing has been declining to the point where there are not enuff showing up to have a class so folks end up running with truggies.

If you only based it on what the hobby shops in the area sell it seems like MT's go out the door about 10 to 1 over other types. Most only get run in parking lots and back yards tho.

We are currently making an effort to rebuild the MT class at a local club track but it will be a few months before we know it is actually working. At least we can still travel to a few races within 400 miles.

Ed M.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM
iamnot

i didn't buy my mt's to race
i bought them to play with

that's what they were designed for anyway
bashing
not racing

maybe roar got tired of trying to accommodate
an obviously shrinking minority
and concentrate on areas/classes
that people actually
want to race

just like tv ratings
if something is not being widely watched
it's canceled

you may like documentaries
but if reality shows are what's being watched
that's what will be on

so don't blame roar
blame the truck racers
or lack of.....
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
ThermalRD

iamnot, thats not entirely true. The Revo Platinum, is certainly built to be raced. The TNX Pro, that came with bow ties, and Proline powerstrokes, that was indeed a racer. The current Duratrax RT-X, thats also a race oriented truck. So there are companies making dedicated RACERS out of their MT's. But you are certainly right about the rest. The numbers mean everything. I guess the fact is, what they now call the "ARENA" class, is the new MT class. After all, it was the MT racer looking for a clear CHEAT, that created the first truggy...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Jerzferno

My primary racing class, as you have probably surmised by my name is 1/8th scale buggy. I also race 1/10th nitro trucks, and monster oval (A class I have not heard of but at my home track) We are facing the same situation here. The Monster Truck class is dwindling. Why? I have no idea. At my track the top 4 classes are #1 1/8th scale buggy, #2 Truggy, #3 1/10th scale electric truck, #4 1/10th scale nitro truck. I dont really see the logic of dropping MT and 1/10 gas truck? The track that hosts the race does all the work right? I mean there arent ROAR reps at these races, maybe occassionally. ROAR reps arent sending out the fliers. Arent fielding the phone calls for directions and lodging. Arent receiving the registration forms, and putting the fees in their account. Arent prepping the track. Arent running the event. Arent buying the trophies. Arent securing sponsors. All the WORK is done by the track hosting the event. Or am I missing something? Again the class I race in primarily is still there. But..............My track is not a ROAR sanctioned track, and I dont plan on going to any ROAR races. I just dont see the big deal in keeping these two classes in? I have to agree with what someone did say above...............the economy and gas prices are definately not helping things.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:20 PM
iamnot

thermal

i meant
originally designed for
bashing, not racing

certainly a few companies
design race inspired trucks
and i don't see those being discontinued
i was speaking more of the race class being discontinued

after all
they could sell a billion race ready trucks
but if only one guy
brings it to the track
who's he gonna race?

and that's the problem
right?
nobody is bringing them
to race...
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM
2DMaxLST!!

I feel bad for everyone that does not enjoy excellent SMT class racing!!! I much prefer to run SMT to my XT8.

Snapshot from tape of the start of a great SMT A-main, at the club level...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.