Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Aftershock or Savage X

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Wills Deal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftershock or Savage X

I’m looking for a MT to bash with and that’s reliable out of the box. I believe that I’ve narrowed it down to either the Losi Aftershock or HPI Savage X. Both are formidable trucks and both have a great reputation and following.

My decision is just about split down the middle between both of these MT’s and just can’t seem to make a decision. The one thing that makes me lean a little towards the Aftershock is that it appears to have a little better suspension that seems to be smoother in the rough stuff and tracks well where the Savage looks a bit bouncy. At the same time, I’m wondering about the Losi being less expensive that the Savage, hoping that the cost difference in not reflected in quality.

I would very much appreciate to hear from folks that have had or have messed with both of these MT’s that can give an honest, unbiased opinion…box stock vs box stock...I wanna buy a new MT, so please help a fella out!!...;^)

Thanks…
Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Aftershock or Savage X

Both are great trucks but you will need less upgrades on teh savage for bashing. The aftershock will handle better but it has weak a arms and its not as fast. I had teh same delema and went to the hobbyshop to see them both and went with the savage. I actually have 2 savages now and love them both. I still may get an aftershock just out of curiosity.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Wills Deal

Is it the front arms that are weak or all four? Is it a wear issue or due to impact? How about some aftermarket arms? I know that I'm wanting to compair the trucks box stock, but if the arms are the only issue then for the money saved on the Losi could go towards some upgraded arms...

Are they both 40+ mph trucks?

...just trying to pick thru the fine details to help make up my mind...

Thanks...
Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
twomanytoys

Its due to impact. RPM makes arms for it. They both say 40+mph stock but the aftershock struggles to get there. The savage X with teh F4.6 will do closer to 45 and get there alot quicker than the aftershock. The aftershock is slow at getting to top speeds adn I think thats due to the engine. I have the same engine in another truck adn I can tell a big difference in power between that and the savage engine. Its still not bad. Sell the stock engine and get an LRp or something better and it will be much quicker. The Losi engine is real easy to tune while the savage engine is harder but once tuned it screams. The only real upgrade that I did for handling is teh shocks. I installed Cen GST shocks that lowered the truck just right and it handles awsome now. No more rolling over on hard turns. I bought teh Savage X for 380 and the XSS kit for 360. You can get an aftershock for 325.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:04 PM
jbb

aftershock no doubt amazing truck i own 1 heres a vid to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ybrg0ffXus amazing truck plus its only 319 after adding it to ur cart on amain also u dont see people trying to do diff mods to it or stuff like that great truck outta tha box no aftermarket really needed yeah the savage my be faster but thats the harder u can hit stuff imo
Old 05-16-2008, 06:26 PM
hajile1997

are you kidding me? SAVAGE X all the way.... I own a Savage X and had, repeat HAD an Aftershock and there is no comparison...apparently many of us feel the same way also as I have never heard of the AFT being mentioned in ANY of the RC Mags Best products issues not even as runner up....

I agree that out of the box you will experience far less issues with the Savage and less is needed to get it bash worthy......
Old 05-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Wills Deal

ORIGINAL: hajile1997

are you kidding me? SAVAGE X all the way.... I own a Savage X and had, repeat HAD an Aftershock and there is no comparison...apparently many of us feel the same way also as I have never heard of the AFT being mentioned in ANY of the RC Mags Best products issues not even as runner up....

I agree that out of the box you will experience far less issues with the Savage and less is needed to get it bash worthy......

Thanks for the replies...

I give mags very little consideration because they're usually biased. Outside of what the mags say, what is the "no comparison".

I'm looking for exact details of hands on experiences with these MT's and hopefully be able to make a decision based on ya'lls knowledge...respectfully.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Gereke

[link=http://lstforums.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2]LST Forums[/link]

Would be a good place to get information about the Aftershock. The "sluggishness" box stock is not an issue with the engine, rather the pipe that comes with it. The general consensus is if you get a Shock, get a good after market tuned pipe for it... The Losi HT pipe (comes stock with the LST2) is usually one of the recommendations. There is also an "LST/Aftershock performance upgrade" kit [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_24_290/products_id/6409]LINK HERE-A-main hobbies[/link]. If you didn't want to get the upgrade kit- as mentioned RPM arms are good, and also folks suggest upgrading the engine brace.

[link=http://www.savage-central.com/]Savage Central[/link]

Is a good place to get down and dirty with a lot of Savage specific stuff, you can check out what lots of folks do to improve the Savage.. I have found it very helpful in plotting the course which has taken my Savage X from a Box-Stocker to something that is really operating how I personally like it to. The HPI engines are pretty darn good- Easy to break in, easy to tune and they hold the tune well- and are also very strong.. Tuned right they can flip the truck on it's lid from a standstill. (And, like I said that "right" tune is easy to find)

I've got a little over 3 gallons on my Savage X, and it's held up really well.. I've only broken the Engine mount, and an Upper Arm...which was a result of a factory defect- air bubble when it was molded.

Some folks try to make a big deal out of it- But the gas tank in the Savvy has a reputation for causing "half tank lean". There are some tank mods that get rid of it- or if you aren't one of those people who HAS to have their engine tuned as lean as possible... Just tune a tad on the rich side so when it leans at half tank you don't have to worry about overheating. Also, the cheapest fix (which some debate) is to stick a piece of antenna tube in pressure hole on the inside of the cap. (make sure it goes almost to the bottom of the tank) I did that on mine and it worked pretty well.

I think either truck is a good choice... I'd like to pick up an Aftershock just for fun when I can afford to throw money against the wall again.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
R/C Lightweight

My brother and I run these two trucks every time we get together for RC. Honestly, they are both great bashers. The performance difference is almost erased if you put a HT pipe on the Aftershock. They both have gobs of torque for wheelies if that's your thing. The Savage seems a little lighter and bouncier, whereas the Aftershock is a bit heavier and very smooth suspension wise. Like I said, both are great and run well together. I broke an A-arm (Aftershock) hitting a guardrail at WOT. I guess it's really a matter of preference. Anybody who says that they aren't even comparable must have had a terrible experience with one or the other. Throw in a HT pipe and some RPM arms on the Losi, and I think they are a great match for each other and pretty close in price with the added upgrades. They drive differently for sure, but it really comes down to preference. I would not hesitate to buy either, and good luck with your decision.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:20 AM
billzkustomz

here ya go wills BUY AN AFTERSHOCK..or the raminator.. same truck just has different tires and spektrum radio

the savage does not come with a 2.4 ghz radio

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/20074

$100.00 - $149.99 $5.00 JJDCPP85
$150.00 - $249.99 $12.50 JJDCPP812
$250 or more $25.00 JJDCPP825

coupon will get the raminator down to 375

-Losi Radio System with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM® Technology for interference and crystal-free control

too bad hpi doesnt do that for you savage owners AHAAAAAAA

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13817 this would whee;y the crap out of it

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7329
Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Wills Deal

Good stuff fellas…thanks for the links…I really like both trucks….I think that I may have to just get both of them…wait, I gotta wife and too kids…two trucks ain’t gonna happen today…not at the same time anyway…

I guess I’ll throw in the money factor to help make a decision…I wanna spend around $450’ish…no radio needed

Savage: I can get the kit for around $350; pick up a good steering servo for $35. That leaves me with $65 to spend on the truck. What else does this truck need to be reliable and run good?

Aftershock: Truck for $320; pipe for $33; LST upgrade kit for $105. Sell off the radio for some extra pocket change. Is this a decent place to start for a good running and reliable truck?

Thanks for the help fellas…
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 AM
twomanytoys

A MAin is still wayyy expensive for the aftershock even with teh discounts. Ultimate Hobbies has them for 329 with free shipping.

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...OSB0012%211002
Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 AM
billzkustomz

dont forget to mention how much of a pain in the ass a savage is to work on and its ****ty small fuel tank that they have yet to fix. enjoy your 5 minute run times
Old 05-18-2008, 10:36 AM
hajile1997

I say go for the kit and you will be happy. If you go to Savage central as noted above you will be fine with the support there.... You dont get 5 minute run times and the tank issue is not that serious man please... I dont know why there are so many Savage haters who act as is the truck is the spawn of satan...All of the trucks have good and bad points and you wont burn in hell for buying any of them..

Enjoy what YOU feel is the best deal. Getting the kit will leave you with extra change to get more stuff.. I say stock up on glow pugs, fuel and consumables that you will need....Good luck to you man
Old 05-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Wills Deal

The Savage tank is a $10 fix, right?

I have glow planes and boats with tons of plugs and fuel to burn...I'm just looking to get the best bang and reliability as possable...;^)

Thanks fellas...
Old 05-18-2008, 10:59 AM
rclynx

Not to many HPI people on today...........hands down the Savage X SS kit is the better of the 2................if your going RTR they are pretty much the same [&o]
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM
billzkustomz

nope there isnt a different tank for the savage.. go to lst forums and get a real opinion.. and if you plan to race the aftershock/raminator/megabaja/lst2 handles much better.. you dont see people putting savage shocks on a aftershock/lst do you? no you dont HA
Old 05-18-2008, 11:33 AM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: billzkustomz

dont forget to mention how much of a pain in the ass a savage is to work on and its ****ty small fuel tank that they have yet to fix. enjoy your 5 minute run times
Dude, are you serious?

Geez, it takes about 1 minute to pull out a diff...All the electronics are in one box with a quick-release lid...The top of the trans comes off with 6 screws...Even if you have to replace the whole transmission (which is very rare) it takes about 10 minutes to remove, which is a lot closer to the Savage's run time BTW. Speaking of runtime, the Savage's tank is a whopping 11cc smaller than the Aftershock's (160 vs. 171). I don't think that makes it "tiny".
Old 05-18-2008, 11:35 AM
drivefastgto

...and yes, there ARE different tanks for the Savages, and Savage shocks (which are a STRONGER setup) will not fit an LST anyways. Get your facts straight!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM
billzkustomz

well then howcome everyone is converting the savage to lst shocks.. and for one thing if you wanna start talking runtimes and strength BUY A 1/5 SCALE my 1/5 scale truck *****s out savages

LST Shock Conversion FLM43100

Machined from billet 6061 aluminum
Direct fit on FLM towers
Works with stock arms
Includes all necessary hardware
$12.00 / pair
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
billzkustomz

on another note.. dont post biased opinions because the savage is the only truck you have owned. i have owned a lst and a savage.. guess which truck i still own [:@]
Old 05-18-2008, 11:59 AM
drivefastgto

ORIGINAL: billzkustomz

on another note.. dont post biased opinions because the savage is the only truck you have owned. i have owned a lst and a savage.. guess which truck i still own [:@]
LOL...How are my opinions biased? I haven't said one bad thing about Losi trucks, in fact I like them. All I did was correct your total mis-information above.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Wills Deal

k fellas...we all know that both trucks are great. Each has its up and down...that's why I asked about the fine details between the two in the general forum area...to get a honest opinion by some that have had a chance to mess with them both. The main thing that I figured out so far is that it's not easy to decided between these two because there's lots of good things about both rigs. But I beleive that I know which machine that I'm gonna drop my coin in...

Thanks for the input folks...
Old 05-18-2008, 12:15 PM
drivefastgto

Cool, let us know which one you get. I'm sure either one will make you happy. [8D]
Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 PM
IL2mSturmovik

I have seen 4 died in teh wool Savage owners switch to Losi trucks after a few sessions with my LST2
Get an Aftershock (or Ramminator, or Maga-Baja) from www.killerhobbies, an LST2 pipe and spur gear setup off of e-bay, and have fun for cheap.
Savages are tough trucks, no doubt and I do like them, I personally feel that teh Losi trucks are more advanced, and their suspension kills teh Savages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.