RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

2.5 w/o problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 AM
dan1220
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 w/o problems?

does anybody have the 2.5 and actually like it? it seems that all i hear about it are bad things, and was wondering if there are any good things?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:35 AM
347g
My Feedback: (2)

I use mine as a paper weight , so everyone can see that there is a use for it,what junk , Great work traxxas keep it up!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:44 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

I dunno, after almost a gallon, it seems to be running pretty well for me. Lots of power, and no stalling out.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

I have 2 gallons thru mine, pulls wheelies n runs great.

You know the old proven saying. Customers with problems complian 50 times more than satisfied customers speak out.

Tower Hobbies is allways sold out of these, there must be a reason they sell so well.

Joe
Old 05-08-2003, 01:18 PM
h22a4
My Feedback: (50)

i haven't had a problem with mine and i am only 1/2 a gallon thru it.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Unstable

I think most of the problems are with the fact that traxxas had to manufacture a ton of these motors to fill the demand of the maxx.

they probably skimped a bit on QC to get them out the door faster. so you have a bunch of really good motors out there but you also have alot of bad ones too. it would be interesting to see what the percentage of bad vs good is but that would be impossible unless you get every maxx owner to respond.

even if the failure rate was the same as all the other motors out there you will still hear more of it from the maxx owners due to the sheer volume of them out there.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

My 2.5 was run full throttle on the second tank for 3 minutes straight with no load on the engine. It's a long story but here's the short version. Hit a puddle, water shorted the throttle servo at full throttle and completley disabled the steering servo. The car screamed across the field and ended up loosing a tire. By the time I got to it the filament in the glow plug had melted and was still running.
Since that day it's idled like a dream and plenty of power for wheelies.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:46 PM
sirmaxxalot

My 2.5 runs great I have 6 gallons thru mine I think that some people Don't tune it properly before they expect it to perform at it's best and they do permanent damage. True mine stalls from time to time but it runs great 90% of the time it's perfect. this engine performs better When you richen the needle but you really need to find the sweet spot then just leave it there. cooling is an issue for this motor it does not run good hot you have to let it cool between runs.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:50 PM
POJack

I sold mine yesterday with half a gallon though it for $50. Would not stop stalling
Old 05-08-2003, 03:56 PM
perculator

The funny thing is that people always talk about how much better the Sirio .18 is than the 2.5 .

Everyone always wants to just rush out and drop one in in place of their stock 2.5

Well I got news for ya, the Sirio is very much like the 2.5. If you run it too lean during break in... it overheats. It needs to run pretty rich in order to run at a comfortable operating temp. It is recommended that you get a nicer heat sink if you wanna lean it out.

The Sirio is also prone to stalling when warm if it is running to lean or goes around a corner and leans out because of less fuel. I fixed this the same way the 2.5 owners did... With a longer fuel line.

The 2.5 is a bad ass engine, the Sirio is a bad ass engine. In a very detailed side by side comparison some dude did on Maxxtraxx.com, the 2.5 was rated a bit higher than the slightly outdated Sirio 6 port. (There is now an 8 port.)

If you are gona have either of these you need to know how to tune it and how to troubleshoot wierd little problems that might come up. thats all, I guess it's the price you pay for a bad-ass small-block.

IMHO most of the *****in and naysaying about the 2.5 comes from Savage fanboys.... Remember kids, product loyalty dont mean much in this industry.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:48 PM
grampi

Not necessarily true. I have both a 2.5 and a Fantom .15. The Fantom is every bit as bad ass of a motor as the 2.5, and it's not anywhere close to being as picky as the 2.5. I was however able to run an entire tank of fuel through the Maxx the other day without it stalling once. Maybe I've hit the sweet spot on the mixture screws, or maybe this engine just takes a long time to break-in. Maybe the Nova Pro head allows it to run cool enough to avoid the stalling problems. Who knows? It does seem to be running better lately though.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:23 PM
perculator

What temps do both those engines run at Grampi? I think I read somewhere that your 2.5 is running real rich... Is the Fantom also runnin rich?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:14 PM
grampi

I don't have a temp gage so I have way of knowing what temp it's running at. I do run the 2.5 very rich on the low end, but I'm able to lean it out fairly well on the top, which means I'm getting good power out of it. I can lean the Fantom down to just about nothing without a problem. I love that Fantom, it's a very kick ass engine. Can't wait for their .18.