Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Used 1/8 MT: Losi Aftershock or Associated MGT 4.6?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Used 1/8 MT: Losi Aftershock or Associated MGT 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
bhcvc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 1/8 MT: Losi Aftershock or Associated MGT 4.6?

Looking to pick up a used 1/8 MT (probably off ebay as I couldn't find any here...I'd love a used one, both are under $400, but can't afford that just to convert it). Ideally I'm looking for a truck minus the engine/muffler/intake, but a low cost one with those is fine. I found a couple of the Losi and AE on ebay. My intent is to convert the MT to brushless. Considering that, and the fact that they're used, which would be the better choice for a BL conversion that will hold up well with time, bashing, occasional track use? Which would likely be in better used condition? I've read about the Losi's great handling. Is it that much better than the MGT 4.6? Which has more space or is more easy to fit electric parts onto.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Elite_Tux487

Default RE: Used 1/8 MT: Losi Aftershock or Associated MGT 4.6?

I would say the MGT is a little bit easier to work on than the aftershock. There is a lot of open room on the mgt and everything is laid out very simply.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM
twomanytoys

Yes the MGT does have tons of space. Great space for brushless and a couple batteries. The Losi would be a real tight fit for batteries. The Losi handles better but that can be fixed onteh mgt with a spring swap adn better tires. The MGT drivetrain is very beefy and pretty much bulletproof. I think the mgt would be better suited for a brushless setup. Al MGT's are going for super cheap on ebay. Anywhere from 150-250. I picked one up in near perfest condition for 125.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Bria1

I have the MGT 4.6 and an Aftershock. Either one should be fine for an electric conversion. The mud guards on the MGT do give more room for batteries, but as shown in this [link=http://www.finedesignrc.com/rccaraction8-06.htm]fine design[/link] setup, it can be done easily with the LST based trucks too. As far as track performance, my Aftershock gets around the truck a lot better than the MGT. Not that the MGT is bad on the track, but it isn't as good as the LST series trucks. The only durability concerns I've had with the Aftershock were the stock arms. Go with RPM arms or the LST2 kit if you go with the Aftershock.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
tire smoke

I'm going to sell my aftershock if your interested.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 PM
bhcvc

Hmm, the LST/Aftershock does look a bit space-limited. The battery sits only in the rear. I don't have LiPo yet, so running 2x6NiMH might be a bit tough and heavy-weighted in the rear.

twomanytoys - did you get a MGT with electronics, engine, and radio for $125?

Oh, BTW, is the Aftershock Forward only?...or does it have reverse?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Bria1

The aftershock is forward only.