Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Mini MGT Clutch Issues

Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini MGT Clutch Issues

Ok well I just got this truck and was running the first tank break in. Several times during the first tank the truck would stop and the engine would rev up. I would let the engine come back down to idle and then the truck would engage again and move.

I am assuming its a clutch issus, I didnt get above maybe 10mph and it would do it when I hit a bump.

Any other ideas? Maybe slipper? The engine ran great, got to about 200 degrees on the first tank. I am currently letting it cool down then I will look around with the clutch/slipper or wherever else someone suggests. Stink I am having issues already on the first tank.

There are a couple things that baffle me on this truck, the shifter button is too close to your fingers and too easy to hit. Its a really bad spot to put it for a switch that doesnt take much to press. A rocker switch like the traxxas TQ3 would have been much better. Also the linkage for the throttle/reverse is a pretty bad design. I am having major issues getting the truck to brake without having it close the carb more than its closed at idle. Not a big deal but a pain none the less.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
twomanytoys

Default RE: Mini MGT Clutch Issues

Well igf teh carb closes all the way when you hit the brakes you need to adjust the idle screw more. As for the revving I would assume its going into neutral. This could be teh reverse linkage not being adjusted right. I have a MGT 4.6 which did the same thing. It would go inbetween rev and forward and not move. I had to adjust the linkage to keep it in forward. Yes the reverse button on the remote is in a bad spot. I no longer have reverse because of that reason.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Well igf teh carb closes all the way when you hit the brakes you need to adjust the idle screw more. As for the revving I would assume its going into neutral. This could be teh reverse linkage not being adjusted right. I have a MGT 4.6 which did the same thing. It would go inbetween rev and forward and not move. I had to adjust the linkage to keep it in forward. Yes the reverse button on the remote is in a bad spot. I no longer have reverse because of that reason.
Well I adjusted the forward reverse linkage and had no problems on the second tank. The engine runs great so far.

But as for the other linkage when I hit the brakes it doesnt completely close the carb but when you let off the throttle the spring wont push the carb against the idle screw. When you hit the brakes it closes a little bit further. Its not enough to stall the car, but I am going to get a throttle return spring from a different car, one that wraps around the cooling head to pull carb fully closed and ditch the stock one. Should work and be a cheap fix.

Thanks for you help man.

Jason
Old 07-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Elite_Tux487

I would adjust the rods at the throttle servo and center the throttle trim. Also replace the spring on the brake rod with a piece of fuel tubing of the same length. This should solve all your issues.