Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

$300ish monster truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:39 PM
benzy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $300ish monster truck?

Im looking for a new truck. I know $300 is low on the price spectrum and you get a bit more truck at the $400-$500 range but I honestly don't know how long the RC bug is going to last and I can't justify spending more than that. All I am going to do is run in my yard (1.5acres of grass). I don't plan on taking any large jumps or running into trees as the yard is pretty open. I currently use an old electronic stampede and it just isn't fast enough through the grass to be all that much fun. So currently there are a few trucks that have caught my eye.

First would be the CEN Magnum NX. It seems like people here find CEN trucks to be very durable though not always the fastest. I really like the price point of the MG10 MT at around $230 but I thought the bigger motor on the Magnum would be worth the extra $60.

The second thought was an MGT 3.0. A lot of people seem to like the MGT and it isn't much over the $300 budget I was looking at.

I don't have any problems with the current pede I have other than it is a bit of a slug in the grass. The Nitro Stampede is $270 which is again good on my price range though the .15 motor scares me that it is still going to be sluggish.

The Tmaxx is getting out of my price range though I could probably convince myself to go for an Emaxx.

The E-savage is something I could afford though I really have no knowledge of anything but the Nitro version of the Savage.

The brushless RTR options out there seem like they could be a bit of fun. I know a few companies make a version or two with a brushless motor out of the box. Any comments on how they would stack up against the crowd listed?

I really am looking for something that is moderately fast with great low end that won't drag to get to speed while in the grass. I don't need 50mph to be happy, just something that will cover 200 feet of grass without needing a battery change half way there.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: $300ish monster truck?

cen will be a nice starter ..i pmd u
Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 AM
04DarkShadowGT

MGT $279 shipped

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=ASC20515!1007

If you like Tower call and they will price match it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:52 AM
mbxrb75
My Feedback: (7)

For $300 0r less you can get a TT st-1 truggy.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Magnum NX is a good truck, based on the Fun Factor platform which I own. I love it. Should be great.

Edit: NX and FunFactor MT share 80% of their bits, with the entire suspension and driveline shared. Tough tough tough. The improvements are in the chassis, a laydown steering servo and some stiffening in the back. Also, .18 from factory.

Edit 2: OS .18 CV-RX will really wake the truck up, so do look into getting one after a gallon or two through the NX18. I'm sure by then you will have the experiance to control it and the NX18 will be showing it's age already :P

The MGT3.0 has reverse, so keep that in mind if you want it.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 PM
bhcvc

If you want Nitro, also look into the Hot Bodies Lightning GT10 Sport RTR for $280. There's also the Tower Terror MT for $300.

For electric, I like my E-Savage. Plenty fast with a good set of batteries, really tough, easy to go brushless in the future, and affordable ($270 or less RTR).
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 PM
silverman1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Second the cen fun factor mt 3.0 spec. Awesome and will take a beating, fast to. The thunder tiger truggy, don't own one, but many people do go read up in the truggy section on it. Id gurantee that this thing would be wicked fast and super tough.

My 2 choices
Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM
BigGrump

I think you should take a long close look at the MGT3.0. I have one and it is way better than I expected. I am never satisfied with anything, so right away I got the New Era kit and installed a Big Block Picco .26 Outlaw. Way overpowers the truck. I thought the driveline would fail but it has held up. So...... from my experience, if you could be happy with the very nice .18 engine the truck comes with, the drive train and whole truck, except for the weak bumper bracketts, would be about bullet proof.

There are some very good parts on it that come directly from the Big MGT. The steering and brake servos are right off the big truck. The servo savers are the same. The three shoe clutch shoes are the same, the flywheel is almost the same. Very quality parts everywhere.

The dog bones are rather thin and I thought they would be the obvious weak link. They have never twisted or given any trouble holding up to the big block Picco, which has provided endless wheelies and constant drag races.

At least take a close look at the MMgt 3.0

Dennis