Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

HPI Savage x or Losi Monster Truck

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HPI Savage x or Losi Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 AM
bnick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI Savage x or Losi Monster Truck

I am looking to get a nitro monster truck. Iwant to get the Savage or one of the Losi Monster Trucks. I am not going to race. I just want to bash in the back yard. I am looking for a durable truck that is easy to repair, parts that are easy to find, and is ubgradable. Like I said I just run this in the yard on some dirt and on pavement.
So if anyone has an opinion please let me know which one I should get. If you have any other brands that fit my criteria let me know I do want it to be 1/8 though.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
twomanytoys

Default RE: HPI Savage x or Losi Monster Truck

I hasve 2 savages and an Aftershock. I will have to say the aftershock is very easy to work on and extremly tough. I think the Aftershock drivetrain is stronger than the savages. I have replaced a few dog bones, couple diffs and drive shafts on both my savages. Everything on the losi is bigger and just looks stronger. No problems with the aftershock. Im running an LRP in my aftershock and one savage and the aftershock smokes the savage. The Savage with the LRP breaks more shafts than the stock savage. I like both trucks but would have to give the edge to the aftershock in durability and handling. Its alot cheaper also. The only upgrade that the stock aftershock would need is RPM a arms and the Losi HT pipe. The stock a arms are very weak.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 PM
bnick

The A arms are for both the back and front so you would have to order two sets. I am assuming the Aftershock is 4 wheel drive. I like the duel steering servo and the huge shocks on the losi. It looks like the transmision is located on the side of the losi which seems easy to get to and replace parts if needed. How are the electronics on the aftershock. Are the servos and controler good. Thanks for the post I will now look at Losi some more.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM
WALL22

GO LOSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:39 PM
twomanytoys

In my opinion the Radio is the best digital AM radio you can get. I use them on a few of my trucks. They work very well. The transmission is located in the center of the truck but the spur gears face out so they are very easy to get to. The shocks are awsome. Maybe overkill but what do I know. The servos are decent but I upgrade all my servos anyways. I have 2 MG995 servos for steering with a total of 416 oz of steering compaired to the stock 160oz of steering. Yes you will have to buy 2 sets of RPM arms but its the fronts that break most. Just changing the a arms makes it pretty much bulletproof. Also the stock sport pipe is TOTAL junk. Why they put that pipe on this truck is beyond me. It holds soo much power back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39783.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1002690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54675.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1002691  
Old 08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
bhcvc

Don't know if this matters to you, but the Aftershock has no reverse (I personally want reverse on bash trucks). I think the Aftershock is also a little bigger than the Savage X (closer in size to the Savage XL), so if you want size, the Aftershock is probably a better choice.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:54 PM
twomanytoys

The savage x 4.6 does not have reverse either. I never felt the need to use reverse. I have an MGT that had reverse but I took it out because I never used it. Reverse is just wasted power waiting to be released. The savage is not that much smaller than the aftershock. The huge tires on the aftershock makes it look alot bigger but its not by much.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
bnick

I do not need reverse I am just looking for a fun truck that will not spend all the time in my garage while I am fixing it. I also like that the losi is cheaper.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
MTpockets

if i ever buy another nitro basher it will probably be a aftershock or mega baja. you're right, you cant beat the price for what you get.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
twomanytoys

I cant justify the extra cost of the mega Baja just for a Baja bug body.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:12 PM
bnick

is there a difference between the baja, ramanator, and the aftershock or are they the same truck different bodies.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
bnick

did the losi come with a wheelie bar or is it an option
Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
twomanytoys

No I added the wheelie bar. All those trucks are the same.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:00 PM
bnick

If they are all the same why are the other 2 more expensive.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 PM
bigairlife

DEFINETLY get an aftershock. I think my aftershock is better than the savage i used to have, my t-maxx, and all my other trucks combined...
Old 08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
twomanytoys

Well the raminator is a licensed name. Not sure why they are so much more. Just another way to make money. You can get an aftershock and put a mega baja body on it and you would not know. The raminator has a combination roto start pull start. Thats pretty much it.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Well the raminator is a licensed name. Not sure why they are so much more. Just another way to make money. You can get an aftershock and put a mega baja body on it and you would not know. The raminator has a combination roto start pull start. Thats pretty much it.
The Raminator also has a 2.4Ghz radio and digital servos.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Sugafree

ORIGINAL: bnick

Not sure what if anything the Mega Baja has over the Aftershock other than the bug Body?
But the Raminator comes with Losi radio system with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM® technology & Twin 819 Digital High-Torque steering servos and a single 818 Digital throttle/brake servo......
Old 08-02-2008, 10:59 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: Sugafree

ORIGINAL: bnick

Not sure what if anything the Mega Baja has over the Aftershock other than the bug Body?
But the Raminator comes with Losi radio system with Spektrum™ 2.4GHz DSM® technology & Twin 819 Digital High-Torque steering servos and a single 818 Digital throttle/brake servo......
The Mega Baja has a rechargeable receiver pack and charger, the Aftershock uses AA's. Also the MB includes a spin start. That's the only difference besides the body.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 AM
bnick

So I am assuming the raminator is a little better. Are those better servos and controler. And is it worth the increased price.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 PM
robwiljas

In my opinion they are. The radio that comes with the AS and MB is a JR radio, which is a nice radio, but it's AM. The Raminator's radio is a Losi Radio, but it's Spectrum 2.4Ghz DSM. You don't get any interference. It's also got a built in failsafe and uses digital servos which are more precise than analog servos. One thing about the Raminator though is it requires you to buy a reciever pack. The AS has a dry cell holder and the MB includes a reciever pack, but the Raminator doesn't include either..
Old 08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
bnick

are the reciever packs expensive. They are recargable though right
Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
robwiljas

Yeah they're rechargeable. I bought [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/20076]this[/link] Losi one with the charger for $20 so they're not expensive at all.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:58 PM
bnick

I am now looking at the raminator any one have this if so how does it hold up is it a tough truck. Looking to get something that does not break easy.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:36 PM
robwiljas

Yep I have the Raminator, it's a great truck. I've yet to break anything on it. Out of the box it doesn't have much low-end power because of the stock pipe, just like the Aftershock and Mega Baja, but upgrading to the Losi HT pipe makes a huge difference. Now mine will wheely easily. Here's a pic of mine with it's little brothers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32385.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1050458  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.