Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 PM
dannyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Truck Recomendations

Hello everyone,
I would like to get into rc trucking.
I would like to buy a nitro rc.
I went to our local rc dealer, and he recommended the Traxxas Revo, and he said stay away from the Traxxas T-maxx 3.3.
Is there anything wrong with the T-maxx?
Also, is there something better you recommend?
I want to spend under $650, but less is always better.
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 PM
NStampede Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro Truck Recomendations

No, the tmaxx is a good truck IMO. I have been pretty happy with my 2.5. The new tmaxx 3.3 has gotten some pretty good reviews so far and is priced very nice.The revo is also a very good truck. You really can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
IloveMYxt2

HPI Savage XL or a Losi LST2 are the only two trucks I would consider buying. My 2 cents
Old 08-21-2008, 07:17 PM
AusKris

Few of these threads going around, I'd go with a Revo over the T-maxx, and do some research. It be worth checking out the HPI Savage as well it's a good truck and really durable for bashing, but they say get the Revo for track racing ect.. , I just recently got the Savage XL and couldnt be happier.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
rcnitrohead

HPI Savage, LST2, Revo, MGT, or any other name brands other than the T-maxx. The Maxx is the weakest of the bunch, anything else murder it[8D]
Old 08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
geronimo321

sounds like , you and i are in the same boat bro, i been bugging these guys for a couple weeks. i did a lot of research on four major brands, and these guys are great, they have given me a lot of no nonsense answers and i will be picking up my hpi savage xl on sat. from what I've read the LST2 is a beast on the track, but the hpi, is king of the hill. when it comes to ground and pound.
have some fun choosing, heck, i haven't had this much fun since i first started playing paintball, and i don't even have a truck yet..peace
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
dannyn

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

HPI Savage, LST2, Revo, MGT, or any other name brands other than the T-maxx. The Maxx is the weakest of the bunch, anything else murder it[8D]
See thats what the hobby guy said, but then a lot of people seem to like it. I can't decide.
Also traxxas remotes seem to not be as nice as other brands.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
rcnitrohead

The "hobby guy" was right. The T-maxx is weakest because it is the oldest design and most poorly updated truck of the bunch. Traxxas has stuck with the same remotes for the last 6-10 years, not exactly sure, but thats OLD... I'm telling you straight up, get any of those trucks other than the T-maxx and you will be loving them. LST2 id you plan to bash/race, same thing with Revo. MGT and Savage XL are great bashers, especially the Savage, it is tough as nails. Pick from any of the mainstream trucks and you will be happy. The T-maxx used to be a great model, the best selling MT ever. Everyone claims that the newer versions use weaker plastics from the old Pro .15 model. Personally, my T-maxx has done nothing but break, I'm waiting on one part to get it running again, if it breaks because of a stupid reason I'm getting rid of it. Tom.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 PM
-SomeGuy-

Looks like you at least have an LHS guy who wont BS you into buying the truck that will break so easily that he can keep up the payments on his BMW, Ducati and downtown condo from the parts you would need to buy all the time.

Another vote for HPI savage, LST2, MGT and revo if you plan to race.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
dannyn

I like the T-maxx beacuse it is cheap. Then I would put a new remote on it and call it good. But I think the Revo is my second choice. What do you think of the cen gst 7.7?
Old 08-22-2008, 07:51 AM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: dannyn

I like the T-maxx beacuse it is cheap. Then I would put a new remote on it and call it good. But I think the Revo is my second choice. What do you think of the cen gst 7.7?
The Revo will have terrain advantage because of its ingenious suspension design, it will go fast and smooth even on rough terrain. Out of the box the Revo requires very little to maintain, the T-Maxx (I have one) out of the box requires lots of upgrades to be a tough truck that won't break something easily. I would rather Traxxas spend their R&D money on the monster truck and not the radio as it works just fine. I would go with a Revo 3.3 FOC, its fast, soaks up the bumps with style and handles almost like a buggy or truggy! The only other MT I would recommend is the LST2, its fast, has a big block motor and handles great as well. The T-Maxx and the Savage are both older chassis designs, the Savage is heavy like a brick and the T-Maxx is brittle in stock form.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM
rclynx

What do you think of the cen gst 7.7?
Probably the best of the bunch except its like led.........parts are priced well and they come with a lot of up-grades.If you have no plans to race at all, its a good way to go. [:-]
Old 08-22-2008, 01:49 PM
dannyn

Is the Revo a big block?
Also what is the difference between
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...x_revo5308.htm
and
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...trx_revo33.htm
Thanks
Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM
madbrad70

There is a new truck that is going to be release soon by kyosho, its a MT that is designed for racing more than bashing. It look pretty neat and i think it will really challange the Revo on the track. No too many other truck can hang with the Revo on the track.

The Revo is a small block.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
dannyn

I have a motocross track at my house, so I kind of want something that isn't garbage that I can take off the jumps, crash, and just have fun with.
The Revo, being a small block, does that hurt the speed and torque of that MT?
Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 08-22-2008, 06:20 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: systemlord

The only other MT I would recommend is the LST2, its fast, has a big block motor and handles great as well. The T-Maxx and the Savage are both older chassis designs, the Savage is heavy like a brick and the T-Maxx is brittle in stock form.
The Savage is actually ~1.5lbs lighter than the LST2. In fact, the main cause of the LST2's handling advantage is its massive weight. The Revo is much lighter than both, but it should not be compared to the LST2 or Savage, as it is a small block race truck, and doesn't fare well bashing without a large amount of modification.

The Savage design may be old, but it is still the best bashing platform out there. The TVP structure is far stronger than the chassis setups used by the Revo and LST2, and the suspension/front and rear chassis bracing is the best out there. The nylon used by HPI to mold their parts is some of the toughest plastic material used in R/C. Both Losi and Traxxas use a much more brittle polymer, and as such their trucks tend to break suspension components far more easily.

For your purposes (bashing on a motocross track), I would look towards the Savage XL. It is much more stable and better handling than the smaller Savages, and of all the trucks out there, it will be the least likely to force you to pack up and head home early with a broken truck.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Hello everyone,
I would like to get into rc trucking.
I would like to buy a nitro rc.
I went to our local rc dealer, and he recommended the Traxxas Revo, and he said stay away from the Traxxas T-maxx 3.3.
Is there anything wrong with the T-maxx?
Also, is there something better you recommend?
I want to spend under $650, but less is always better.
Thanks!

I agree 100% with your RC store clerk, the Revo is the best of these two Traxxas trucks. I highly recommend the Revo anyday if you chose Traxxas as your brand choice. Yes, the Revo will cost more, but it is also tougher than TMaxx and the suspension can be made bullet proof with RPM aftermarket arms for Revo. The Tmaxx will not take the same abuse as the Revo with RPM arms. Additionally, the Revo has racing in its underlying design, and it will run circles around its TMaxx brother.

This is the way I see it: TMaxx is still around only because of its sentimental value to Traxxas fans. Sorry, TMaxx guys, but the Revo is lightyears ahead of TMaxx in design. The TMaxx when it came out a decade or so ago was extremely revolutionary for its time. I set the bar for nitro mosnter trucks. But, today, otehr trucks will outdo it in bashing and handling any day. And Revo is that truck. Will Traxxas ever discountine the TMaxx? No. It is still too popular and there are many many sentimental TMaxx fans who pass on the TMaxx preference on. TMaxx is a money maker not because it is still a revolutionary truck; but because of this fanbase.

Yes, the TMaxx has seen many upgrade, even Revo Spec drivetrain parts and so forth. But the pan chassis design of TMaxx will never compare to the shapped single chassis of the Revo. Revo even has a tilt on the engine head to help center the CG. Revo for years was the only RC to do that, and it was not until a few months ago that some buggies have designed the tilted engine head design. Revo has a very well laid out chassis to put most of the weight along the centerline of the vehicle. The rocker arm suspension is totally unique, and I can only think of one other RC, an on-road car, that uses thus design. All of these things, and more, make the Revo a race grade vehicle. Some cheam and minor aftermarket upgrades make it survivable for some mid to somewhat hard bashing.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Revo, it is by far the best MT to come from Traxxas. After working as a pit-man on a dozen or so (wel, maybe more like 10 different Revos, I think) and watching them hit the track, they totally rule. The only thing you need to win with a Revo is the skills to put all those innovations to full use.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM
dannyn

Some cheam and minor aftermarket upgrades make it survivable for some mid to somewhat hard bashing.
What would those be?
Also what would you first add to the Revo?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 PM
AusKris

Danny, Choose what you want to be honest. So pretty much from what I've been reading you want the most out of a truck for bashing on ya moto track something thats durable and wont always be breaking? I'd go with the Savage XL or the Revo and rule the T-maxx out, they say the Revo will do better on the track to the Savage, but you'll find they are both pretty good. Refering to upgrades for the Revo check out http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 AM
dannyn

So pretty much from what I've been reading you want the most out of a truck for bashing on ya moto track something thats durable and wont always be breaking?
You are exactly right.
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
dannyn

So pretty much from what I've been reading you want the most out of a truck for bashing on ya moto track something thats durable and wont always be breaking?
You are exactly right.
Would the Savage or the Revo be the faster truck?
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:20 AM
gordesky1

for some reason i like the t-maxx the best because it sits higher and well i like the looks better lol

so far nothing have broke on it except a front tie rod and a shock tower and the back drive shaft which ony cost under 20$ which was like a year ago when i replace them and guess how long i had it? 2years with no problems with it

for the pass 2 months i been taking it to work with me 5days a week and driveing the heck out of it lol like full speed passes and driving up curbs and driving down big steps and been jumping it off a big curb for a jump lol and i haveint broke one thing on it yet

sure i did some upgrades on which is ony bigger tires and new rims lol and replaced a owb week ago which was slipping when i got it lol oh and got a dust boot for the carb because the one was on it was really chewed up and a new gas tank with fuel lines which had a leak.

also i got the old pro .15 version so maybe thats why its so strong i herd the new t-maxxes are weaker but really not sure about that they look pretty decent to me lol

i was also looking at a revo on the buy and sell forum week ago because i wanted 2 trucks just incase one breaks i have another till i get the other fix but instead i got the tower terror on there.... so far having nothing but problems with the engine but hopefully that will change when i put a new one way bearing in it and seal it up because it does have air leak somewhere. and it was ony 100$ shipped.

but when it was running it had tons of power i couldint be leave it lol just wish i could get it started up again...

but ya i wouldint mine having a revo in my collection either maybee that will happen in the near future

Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 AM
systemlord

Is the Revo a big block?
Also what is the difference between
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...x_revo5308.htm
and
http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...trx_revo33.htm
Thanks
The second link is the new version of the Revo 3.3 FOC with these included, you can now run rims using the 17mm hex hubs.
WHAT'S NEW ON REVO 3.3 (#5308)

17mm aluminum splined wheel hubs and nuts
Forward only transmission
Large capacity 150cc fuel tank
Single digital ball bearing servo
Hard-anodized Teflon®- coated shocks with TiN shafts
New 17mm Split-Spoke hex wheels
New body graphics
Compact RX box and shift servo mount
Integrated personal transponder mount
High flow dual-stage air filter
Polished Resonator dual chamber tuned pipe

Large 13mm outer axle housing bearings
Steel pivot ball retaining rings

Old 08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
dannyn

So your saying make sure you get the 5308 correct?
At this point I am between the Savage xl and the Revo.
Now I just need to make a decision.
I am leaning towards the Revo beacuse parts seem to be the most available, and if you blow the engine and return the old one, you get it half off.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:24 AM
systemlord

You are exactly right.
Would the Savage or the Revo be the faster truck?
Thanks!

The Revo will be the faster, better handling and better cornering type of MT. Even though the Revo uses a small block crankshaft, it uses a big block piston giving it screaming high rpm power! I have seen the TRX 3.3 modded almost to 3.0HP, its a fast strong engine! If you are a skilled driver you can run the Revo without much of anything breaking, but if you are always running into curbs or just plain HARD on your truck without a care in the world about what your truck runs into, then things are going to break no matter what MT you get. The Savage is a great MT to bash, but doesn't come close to the handling and cornering ability of a Revo. You have to ask yourself this, how are you going to drive it? If you want a quick, very fast, really good cornering and handling MT then the answer is staring you in the face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.