Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

nitro too loud

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
pmh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro too loud

Is nitro too loud to run in backyard, local fields, parks etc? never had nitro but want nitro truck. Hate to spend $$ just to learn people complain about the noise. Any thoughts, experiences would be appreciated. looking to bash around some, not race. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: nitro too loud

Honestly, you need to judge that for yourself so you can be sure about it. Check out youtube and watch some vids, that should give you an idea. Nitro is usually in public parks during the proper hours and I always run mine on my block and backyard and I live in Brooklyn
Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 PM
davido666

I have had a few complants from some people. But I make sure I run during the day time. In the wide open park they are not as loud as they are on the street. It will also depend on the size of the engine. I have a 1/10 buggy and it is no wear near as loud as my 1/8 MT.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: pmh

Is nitro too loud to run in backyard, local fields, parks etc? never had nitro but want nitro truck. Hate to spend $$ just to learn people complain about the noise. Any thoughts, experiences would be appreciated. looking to bash around some, not race. Thanks.
Loud? If nitro is too loud for you, you are too old There is nothing more invigorating than the sound of nitro, and the smell of the exhuast is just plain exhilirating as you speed up and down the road or are jumping in mid-air. And when I fire up both engines on a twin engine Savage, I just feel so absolutely virile!

They can be loud, but honestly, nitro engines ar really no louder than a lawn mower or weed eater. But to keep from disturbing the peace, dont run your RC after dark, it is only polite to anyone who might live nearby. Also, check your local ordenances. Some cities have local laws like "must not operate lawn mowers or weed eaters before 7am or after 9pm." Since nitro engines can be as lowd as lawn equipment, I would not run my RCs if it violates those local laws.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:26 PM
calvino

i agree with Jim, the funny thing is, i find nitros quieter than a weed wacker (gas), chippers.... just do it durring the day, also check to see if there is a "noise ordance" like no loud noises after _____ so the neighbors don't have as much a case against you, i run my trucks between 3-5 and thats it, as it is, when i pull out the nitro, i get a few neighbors goin "ooh" so i haven't gotten any complaints yet, so if people complain, stop or move [8D]
Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Evader ---> MGT

I have to disagree with the two above... My nitro is lounder than a weed wacker as it echoes through my block, my weed wacker and lawn mower don't that's for sure.

I agree, it's loud, but that's nitro, the awe factor. If you want fun and quiet, go electric...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 PM
robwiljas

Mine is pretty loud, and I live in an apartment so I can't run it here. I did run it once and nobody complained but I don't want to chance it. I've never run mine at a park either, they're usually really busy near me. I've seriously considered converting my 1/8th Raminator to brushless just because of not having anywhere to run it where the noise wouldn't be a problem. I'm having trouble finding a good bashing site near me, the one I was running at has been fenced off. Lately I've been running in a huge open parking lot with some steep hills on the sides, but apparently they're about to build a Home Depot there. I did find a nice big field with some big dirt mounds the other day, it doesn't have any signs or fence but there's some trucks and heavy equipment parked there. I guess I'll just try it and see if anyone says anything to me.

If anyone in my area knows of any good bashing sites please let me know...lol

Edit: I forgot to mention, I've run a few times at my in-laws house with no complaints, but I did ask the neighbors if it bothered them and asked them to let me know if it did. My brother in law though who is currently living with them got complaints and just traded his nitro for an electric because of it. Of course he was running it everyday and all hours of the day and night. To me it doesn't take a lot of common sense to know not to run them at night.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Evader ---> MGT

Ah, that's too bad... Sammamish is just rural enough you can get away and drive for an hour or so. Then I just feel bad for the animals and pack up
Old 09-18-2008, 12:57 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM
And when I fire up both engines on a twin engine Savage, I just feel so absolutely virile!
In other news, in Behind my computer, USA, there has been a rash of unexplained pregnancies during an unknown man's toy truck bouncing across the local park...

Just get one, and if the neighbors cry about it, fire up your weed eater and hack away at the lawn for a couple hours
Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 AM
-SomeGuy-

My buddy has a baja 5b and I have a savage, when we run side by side I cant hear my truck [X(]. Scout around in your area for a good spot with not many people and go for it, if not then go electric.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 AM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM
And when I fire up both engines on a twin engine Savage, I just feel so absolutely virile!
In other news, in Behind my computer, USA, there has been a rash of unexplained pregnancies during an unknown man's toy truck bouncing across the local park...

Just get one, and if the neighbors cry about it, fire up your weed eater and hack away at the lawn for a couple hours

LMAO
Old 09-18-2008, 06:01 PM
pmh

Well, after reviewing all the comments all I have to say is nitro is it! I have 2 Duratraxx Evader ST's already[electric] and that takes care of after dark bashing. Now which truck to buy? I want 4wd for obstacles, grass, dirt and such. Does 1/10th or 1/8th make a difference? Also I've never owned a nitro before so any tips as to how to start with this is appreciated. i.e.-which truck for durability, beginner etc. Trying to stay under 4 bills. Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:27 PM
robwiljas

Good choice. Even though I get irritated with the limited availablility of places to run my Nitro it's still a ton of fun. I like the reaction it gets from other people too.

There are a lot of good choices out there for Nitro trucks, it's just going to be what you like best. For your price range the Losi Aftershock ($319.99 @ Amain)would be a great choice, so would the Associated MGT 4.60SE ($369.99 @ ultimatehobbies), The Associated Mini MGT 3.0 (279.95 @ Ultimatehobbies), or the HPI Savage X 4.6 ($394.99 @ Towerhobbies after $25 discount).

Edit: If you look you can find discounts for Amain too, I just had some but I accidentally deleted the e-mail.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

pmh...Savage X 4.6 sounds like it'll fit the bill for you. Cheap, tough truck with a pretty much bulletproof drivetrain.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 AM
black mamba

Is nitro too loud? No. When compared to a lawnmower, weedwacker, chainsaw and other outdoor noise-makers, a nitro engine is comparable. In my opinion, the worst noise making nuisance man has ever invented, the gas powered leaf blower, is much louder and more annoying than any nitro engine I've ever heard. Tell your neighbors that if it's too loud, you're too old.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:05 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: Evader -> MGT

I have to disagree with the two above... My nitro is lounder than a weed wacker as it echoes through my block, my weed wacker and lawn mower don't that's for sure.

I agree, it's loud, but that's nitro, the awe factor. If you want fun and quiet, go electric...
I don't know man. At idle to mid throttle, my Savage is totally drowned out by my mower. Only at WOT can I hear my Savage. Weedwackers are noisy, but they are noisy is spurts. At idle, my weedwacker and Savage are equal. If I blip the Savage like I blip a weedwacker, they more or less sound the same. Now if I fire up my 300mph gas leaf blower and get silly with it, all hell breaks loose. The Savage is not audible at all, even when screaming its brains out at WOT. The high pitched "jet engine" wail of the blower easily attenuates any Savage sound. The leaf blower is hands down, the ultimate noise maker that 9 out of 10 of your neighbors own. Wanna get even with your neighbors that complain about your loud toy? Fire up your leaf blower at 7AM on a Saturday or Sunday morning. They will stop complaining.............about the truck at least. I've been there, done that with neighbors complaining about the noise of my truck.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: davido666

I have had a few complants from some people. But I make sure I run during the day time. In the wide open park they are not as loud as they are on the street. It will also depend on the size of the engine. I have a 1/10 buggy and it is no wear near as loud as my 1/8 MT.
Yep, big blocks make a bit more noise than small blocks. I love big blocks.[8D]
Old 09-19-2008, 07:02 PM
pmh

Boy, all these posts gets me revved up for a nitro truck! I'm pretty geeked up for this hobby right now. Actually I'm considering the Savage, After Shock or the MGT 3.0 at this point. All seem to be good considering all the posts on them. like robwiljas wrote it all depends what you like when all boils down. What about reverse, though? Some of these don't even come equipped with this out of the box. Will I regret not having reverse? I guess it all comes down to how, where etc. I drive it and such but any more thoughts/opinions would be welcomed. I guess I just want the most bang[options] for my buck. Being this is my first truck I just don't wanna be disappointed the first time out. All you people sure are motivating me though. I appreciate all the posts, look forward to some more. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 PM
robwiljas

Personally I love having reverse, I love the extra realism and quite frankly I'm lazy Others don't care about it so if their vehicle has reverse they install a forward only conversion. Again it just comes down to what you want.

The Mini MGT has reverse stock, the Aftershock and Savage don't but it can be added easily. I added reverse to my 1/8th Raminator (same as Aftershock) by buying an LST2 transmission for cheap on ebay (this also gives you the High/Low range like a 1:1 4x4 which I love), an extra servo and a [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146076.asp]reverse mixer[/link] so I could use the stock 2 channel radio. HPI sells a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMCX3&P=ML]reverse module with mixer[/link] for the Savage, although I've seen a lot of people complaining that the reverse module is weak and breaks a lot. I'm not sure about that though.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

pmh, I had reverse on my Revo and T-maxxes before I got my Savage. I do not miss Reverse, and I had it!

So, I'd say you won't miss having it. just run over and kick the truck off whatever it's hung up on
Old 09-19-2008, 08:30 PM
pmh

I'm the same way. IMO a vehicle should act like a vehicle-reverse and all. The low range/reverse upgrade to the Aftershock kind of sways me in that direction knowing low is quite steep. Seems cheap enough to upgrade either of my choices, plus it's good to know if I buy one without reverse I can always add it later. Gives me a reason to tinker a bit and learn about these vehicles better in the long run. Hmmm... Decisions, decisions.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 PM
robwiljas

lol don't you hate having to decide?

Another thing I didn't think about is size, the Mini MGT will be the smallest, while the Aftershock will be the largest, with the Savage right in the middle. Some people like smaller trucks and others want them as big as possible, so remember that if it's important to you.

Really PMH although I am a definate fan of the Losi trucks, I'm sure you'll be happy with any of these trucks. I've never owned a Mini MGT or a Savage but I hear a lot of good things about them, especially the Savage (damn irritating Savage fanboys lol j/k). No matter what you decide just enjoy it and beat the crap out of it. [>:]
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 PM
pmh

Ya know it just hit me. I've been flying r/c airplanes for a couple of years now. I'm always trying to involve my neices and nephews[don't have kids of my own] with this hobby. Every time we try to get together to fly iit's too windy, too late, my plane's broken, etc etc... Well a couple weeks ago I go wandering into the LHS on a whim[bored] and walk out with 2 Evader ST's. Boy, what a hit with me and the kids!!! R/c cars are just too much fun! I am totally hooked. I always looked at the cars and trucks on the shelf and saw HUGE price tags for kits-you know 519.95 and stuff like that. Always thought it was more expensive than air r/c. Boy was I wrong! After I lost my last plane in the trees due to interference I was really bummed. Haven't touched a plane since June. I started looking for something inexpensive because hobby $$ is hard to come by. I stumbled upon these stadium trucks by accident and BAM-here I am into land r/c and loving every minute of it! Heck even my wife tells me to spend $ on cars and trucks because she knows at the end of the day I'll be bringing this stuff home to enjoy another day. Oh well, just trying to share some positive thoughts. Never knew trucks could be so cool and fun until now.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 PM
pmh

robwiljas-you hit the nail on the head with that! The Aftershock is really big and cool looking, Savage is medium sized [and bulletproof from what i hear], and the MMGT is a wee bit smaller. And then I think my Evaders are 1/10th, should my truck "match" my buggies in scale so when i run them together they look cool, or just say screw it and go where my heart leads me? I can be so anal sometimes...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

buy whatever tugs at your heart strings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.