RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Racer looking for a basher MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:10 AM
channah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racer looking for a basher MT

I'm a pretty avid buggy racer, but I'm really looking for a MT to bash around with. Something to just beat on rather than making sure everything is race prepped, etc. Can I have some opinions on what you would recommend? I'm looking for sturdy, good motor (as good as RTR can be and ease of working on it. I just want to be able to head out and have some fun on non race days... Associated? kyosho? HPI?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 AM
IloveMYxt2

Default RE: Racer looking for a basher MT

HPI Savage or Losi LST2
Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 PM
bigairlife

Lst2 or revo. The savage is too heavy and handles too poorly for my tastes... The lst2 is very durable and fast out of the box. It also handles great. the revo 3.3 is a very fast truck, pretty durable also out of the box, and handles amazingly well... But for a # 1 choice, id say lst2. VERY VERY durable. Pretty darn fast. And really well handling!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
MadManAndrew

Savage X or XL faster and more durable then lst2 , savage weighs less then lst2 and handling ain't bad if u no how to drive, so ya go with it...
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Sugafree

LST2
Old 10-21-2008, 10:09 PM
RenegadeRevo
My Feedback: (1)

I've given my Revo a good, hard beating... and it BEGGED for more... unfortunately, I have not been able to keep the Mach 427 running long enough in the LST2 to give it a severe thrashing... but I've never broken anything on it, except for the engine... Both of those would give you good bashers and also give you better handling than a Savage.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LST2 hands down.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, LST2, Savage XL, MGT S50, in that order.. I have no experience of Revos, so no idea. Just heard too many bad things in Savage forums...

The LST2 is the total package though..
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 AM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: channah

I'm a pretty avid buggy racer, but I'm really looking for a MT to bash around with. Something to just beat on rather than making sure everything is race prepped, etc. Can I have some opinions on what you would recommend? I'm looking for sturdy, good motor (as good as RTR can be and ease of working on it. I just want to be able to head out and have some fun on non race days... Associated? kyosho? HPI?
Okay.youre looking for a durable basher,seems Im the only one here that understands what youre saying because everybodyelse here has already started on what handles the best.Who cares because Im sure you have all the handling you need in your buggy,so what bigairlife says has nothing to do with what you are looking for.Who cares how heavy a Savage is or how it handles.DURABILITY is whats in question here.[>:]MadManAndrew is talking complete non-sense that a Savage is better than an LST2 in anyway,thats crazy.You get what you pay for in nitro and the price difference between the Savage and LST2 shows the difference in quality.Just look through the forums or ask any experienced nitroperson that isnt biased to HPI will tell you the same.Traxxas is just totally out of the question for bashing.Their durabilty issues are well known[:-]Since all I do is bash and no racing,I have tested every brand out there for durability and am speaking from experience.Have batteltested and beaten the hell out of a SavageX,MGT,LST2,EXCEED,Nemesis,Magnum NX and a Jato.I will agree that the LST2 is the best all-around MTbut the Nemesis/Genesis are the absolute strongest,toughest MT in the industry.These things make poo out of a savage.Sorry Savage lovers I know youre coming to argue,but it is what it is.Savage may have a better engine,but Im not so sure about that but the one thing Im sure of is years of bashing nitro MT says the Nemesis/Genesis trucks are absolutely the most durable out of the box[X(]I wont be logging back onto this thread because I know whats about to happen,but in your spare time,take a real good look at the Nemesis/Genesis for bashing.This is for what all of you who beg to differ are going to say[:'(]
Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 AM
channah

Thanks for all of your opinions! Hopefully it's not going to turn out to be a Losi/Hpi war!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
dgz69er

It always turns into an all out war.

Here is my advice. Go find some people who own different mt's. See if they will let you try them out. Then choose the one that you like the best. People could sit here all day long arguing that "X" mt is the best. Its all biased opinion. Period, end statement. Every truck on the market has a weakness. Every truck also has an advantage.

Buy something that has a good product support at your lhs. If you can't get parts anywhere but the internet. Then you will be stuck waiting for parts to come in.

Any of the trucks can get big air. It really comes down to simply being able to land your jumps. As a racer you should know that.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You need a Trinity Nitro Spyder.
ThunderbirdJunkie said it. He went there.
Or an RDLogics Wolverine. Those are TEH PWN! Or perhaps a Smartech Magic Wheel!

Or just look at the forum where ThunderbirdJunkie posts the most. That is the truck you need.

That is all.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 AM
channah

Anyone know anything about the Duratrax RTx-7?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Anyone know anything about the Duratrax RTx-7?
Never had one, but for $299 at towerhobbies + whatever coupon they are running is a pretty good value. I used to have a Losi Aftershock and it was an awesome nitro MT. It was cheap ($325) and was huge and mine took quite a beating.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:49 PM
vantrepes

I made the mistake of buying a DuraTrax for my first nitro truck, and boy was it a mistake. It was the most poorly designed thing I have seen in a very long time. Stress points were plentiful in the plastic parts, providing a nice clean spot for them to snap at. The slipper clutch had two settings: Melt the gear, or locked in place, and the fit and finish of the parts looked like an ADD 5 year old put it together at the factory.....
Of course, that was 10 years or so ago, so maybe they have turned around, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd suggest a Savage X SS, which is what I drive. The Savage X RTR has survived my 8 year old sons driving (tends to crash into things at almost full speed, thought it was funny to cart wheel it off of a ramp, wore a hole in the back of his Xciter body doing back flips on pavement, leaned a 1/2" sheet of plywood on the swing set as a ramp* kind of driving) without blinking, so it's worth a look.

* I went inside to find the other bottle of nirto fuel my wife had moved (read "she hid it in a closet" ). He dragged the 8' x 4' sheet of plywood out of the shed, maneuvered it into place leaning on the top of the swing set, and proceeded to launch the truck off of it. The swing set is about 5' high, so at the apex of his jumps, I'd guess he was getting 8' or 9' of air (I came out just as he cleared it for the last time).... after which, the truck came down in every positioned except wheels to the ground. After all that abuse, the worst that happened was a tie rod popped off of the front wheel after he did a nose dive. I was gone for a total of 5 minutes.....
Old 10-25-2008, 08:55 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: derrick05

Okay.youre looking for a durable basher,seems Im the only one here that understands what youre saying because everybodyelse here has already started on what handles the best.Who cares because Im sure you have all the handling you need in your buggy,so what bigairlife says has nothing to do with what you are looking for.Who cares how heavy a Savage is or how it handles.DURABILITY is whats in question here.[>:]MadManAndrew is talking complete non-sense that a Savage is better than an LST2 in anyway,thats crazy.You get what you pay for in nitro and the price difference between the Savage and LST2 shows the difference in quality.Just look through the forums or ask any experienced nitroperson that isnt biased to HPI will tell you the same.Traxxas is just totally out of the question for bashing.Their durabilty issues are well known[:-]Since all I do is bash and no racing,I have tested every brand out there for durability and am speaking from experience.Have batteltested and beaten the hell out of a SavageX,MGT,LST2,EXCEED,Nemesis,Magnum NX and a Jato.I will agree that the LST2 is the best all-around MTbut the Nemesis/Genesis are the absolute strongest,toughest MT in the industry.These things make poo out of a savage.Sorry Savage lovers I know youre coming to argue,but it is what it is.Savage may have a better engine,but Im not so sure about that but the one thing Im sure of is years of bashing nitro MT says the Nemesis/Genesis trucks are absolutely the most durable out of the box[X(]I wont be logging back onto this thread because I know whats about to happen,but in your spare time,take a real good look at the Nemesis/Genesis for bashing.This is for what all of you who beg to differ are going to say[:'(]
I totally agree here, Cenchain does have the toughest 8th scale MT on the market, the Genesis/Nemesis/GST (and also the GSR if you want to count that too). I've seaid it many time before, I do not like admitting the Genesis/Nemesis/GST is tougher than the Savge, since the Savage is my favorite truck, but after seeing first hand what they can take, Cenchain does have teh tougher truck.

I have begun acquiring Genesis/Nemesis/GST parts from chop-shops all over the net so I can buld my own. And by holding the pieces in my hands, the Genesis/Nemesis does have way beefier parts and stronger strutural members. I even use the GST/Genesis diffs in one of my Savages, have yet to strip a tooth on them, but I do not want to risk it by landing a jump on trigegr or brake. The only CEN parts carried by my local RC store are for the Matrix unfortunately. None the less, very good egars, and I do like the higher gear ratio to help offset the 3speed's lower 1st gear ratio.

The Savage X-TVPs and the Genesis/Nemesis TVPs are exactly the same thickness, 2.5mm, but this is where Cenchain has the edge: there is simply mroe alum inbetween the hole cut-outs on the plates. The radio box is bullet proof for such a simple box, it has thicker walls than teh Savage's batt box, and in trying Dogman's dual steering servo mod, I had to hack at way more plastic than I would have has to on a Savage's batt box.

There are few criticisms I can come up with against this Cenchain truck, so, dont say I'm coming here to argue. Quite the contrary, I agree with you 10%.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

In stock form, from highest to lowest in terms of durability:

CEN GST, Savage, MGT, LST2, Revo

Yes I have driven them all. However, in terms of POTENTIAL durability, the Savage wins hands down (We're not counting $2000 supermaxxes here). It has the best overall design, and the aftermarket support to utilize it. There isn't a GST or LST2 in existence that could hold a candle to my intelligently modified Savage when out bashing.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Clymer122693

Since my last post was deleted....probably do to my language. HPI Savage RC- your comparing a modded truck to stock, thats not even fair. If you want a fair comparison then let me compare my "intelligently" modded revo to your "intelligently modded savage" .
Old 10-25-2008, 10:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

Since my last post was deleted....probably do to my language. HPI Savage RC- your comparing a modded truck to stock, thats not even fair. If you want a fair comparison then let me compare my "intelligently" modded revo to your "intelligently modded savage" .
He said "in existance", not "STOCK". He never said stock.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

4mm 6082-T6 TVPs, 3mm 6082-T6 engine plate, 7075-T6 hinge pin braces, 6061-T6 bulkhead plate braces, 6Al-4V titanium hinge pin braces and turnbuckles, original style Nylon suspension arms (tougher than RPM arms), all nylon bumpers, skid plates, and shock towers, etc. I'd like to see any Revo take even half of the beating an "intelligently" modded Savage can.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Clymer122693

Guess I was in the wrong thread so my post wasn't deleted .

Now as for HPI Savage RC, come to gillette wyoming and I will gladly go bashing with you. I know of several spots, I bash hard look around and you can find pics of my trucks bashing. I wanna see you bash this intelligent savage and make her lose some IQ.

TBJ I must of missed that part, thanks for pointing it out.

Now this is going to be fun....

Ok lets see here.

Modded 3.3 with 11k carb and BB header,converted to bump (blows by my k4.6 in my x ss everytime)
New era alum diffs
Traxxas GTR shocks
Traxxas wing mount
FOC
M2C Racing Engine bay brace
RPM front
Traxxas Extended Rear a-arms
Custom forward mounted throttle servo
Custom rx plate
Proline Velocity 1/2 offset 17mm
Proline Desert Rat
Proline single steering arm
Proline MT bowties
Slayden/Roberts steering mods
Mistercrash carbon fiber wing tie bar
Xray Wing
RD Racing Starter box
Tekno Battery box
Spektrum DX2.0
Airtronics steering servo (forget the model name but its 200oz tq at 10sec)
Ofna Violater 150cc tank
Lunsford Racing Titanium hinge pins
Stock modded muffler
Custom Rear body mount brace
Maximizer Composite 17mm hexes
There is more just dont care to type it all right now

You know whats funny is you can always point out the liars that say they have driven or owned all the top mts on the market and they never state the pro's and con's of the trucks they just claim one is complete crap and the other isn't. Now I own both a Revo 3.3 and Savage X SS and both are great trucks and have their pro's and con's, it all boils down to what fits your style. For Example you want a truck that is versitile in pretty much any terrain then get a revo, it can be a low slung racer or a big bad mt. If you want something that is basically the same ol handling mt and has BB power stock and just a all around mean looking truck then get a Savage.

Also everyone claims Traxxas has durabuility issues....They are ALL claiming this on the T-craps (T maxx for the noobs out there). The Revo is NOTHING like the T-craps. You get a revo or slash and then tell me about traxxas durabuility, both are known to be rather tough trucks (only the ones that dont get butt hurt cause a revo spanked them and they're mt will admit its a great truck)
Old 10-26-2008, 12:29 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

Nowhere did I state that anything was crap. They are all good. Some are just better for my purposes than others. That said, the truck I have built for myself would not be ideal for many people. Racers would take a completely different approach to the hobby than I do. All subjective.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Clymer122693

I never said that I was talking about you, you just assumed I was
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 AM
RenegadeRevo

ORIGINAL: HPI_Savage_RC

4mm 6082-T6 TVPs, 3mm 6082-T6 engine plate, 7075-T6 hinge pin braces, 6061-T6 bulkhead plate braces, 6Al-4V titanium hinge pin braces and turnbuckles, original style Nylon suspension arms (tougher than RPM arms), all nylon bumpers, skid plates, and shock towers, etc. I'd like to see any Revo take even half of the beating an "intelligently" modded Savage can.
LOL... I'd put my stock TM323-powered Revo 2.5 against your "intelligently modded" Savage in a bashing contest... ANY day...

Then, I'll take that same setup and wipe the floor with you on handling, top speed, AND accelleration. [X(]

Then, while you're fixing your Savage's bent TVP's... I'll be breaking in my LST2.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 AM
RenegadeRevo

This guy is a buggy racer... he's used to good handling and quick accelleration... Savage would make him cry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.