Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Just Got an SC8!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 PM
SC8Derek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just Got an SC8!!!

My Brother took his slayer and turned it into a Revo Basically with OS .21 TM, RPM Everything ect ect, Anyways My Body is a Little off But its not that bad JMO
Old 12-29-2008, 12:06 AM
losifiend

Scored a full set of FT arms from an RC8 with Ti turn buckles and an alluminum front platefrom the Bay for under $25 shipped! I also added RC8t front and rear braces, fuel filter, Dynamite Hard clutch shoes and JP3 pipe.

Here are some picts.

Still need to add the rear turn buckles and camber links.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 AM
SC8Derek

Nice I love the braces! Those Turn Buckles are expensive too!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 AM
losifiend

Yeah they are! Thats why I jumped on them when I saw them on Ebay. I just saw on the AE website that thay are going to be releasing CNC machined front and rear braces for $20 a piece. I think these $10 ones work just fine.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
dhyde79

hey for you guys with the SC8's still running stock motors....how hot are yours running? mine's hitting 280+ still blowing solid clouds of smoke and doesn't sound lean at all, infact, at idle it leaves a half dollar sized puddle of oil/fuel after about 30 seconds....(running odonnel 30% for now)
Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
SC8Derek

Had mine at that point as well Once then Shut it off I didn't want it that hot, Is the Low speed idle lean and high speed rich?, Are your instructions for the 8.0 engine or .28? FWIW I sealed my engine up today I really hope it makes a Difference
Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

hey for you guys with the SC8's still running stock motors....how hot are yours running? mine's hitting 280+ still blowing solid clouds of smoke and doesn't sound lean at all, infact, at idle it leaves a half dollar sized puddle of oil/fuel after about 30 seconds....(running odonnel 30% for now)
I'm running 30% fuel and mine usually doesn't get over about 220 degrees, even after refueling a couple of times and running for about 25 minutes. It runs strong with plenty of smoke and sounds just right to me (no bog/not lean). However, the last time I drove it I forgot to switch the model over on my FASST transmitter from my Slash settings to the SC8 and it was an absolute beast! The needle settings on the truck were the same, but something to do with the throttle settings for the Slash made the SC8 run like a scaled dog! It was super sensitive on the trigger. The thing kept over shooting the jumps and ripped around almost out of control. It was a lot of fun, but kind of scared me a little bit. I did get a higher temp after about 5 minutes under those conditions, but it still was under 250 degrees.

I may have to try it again and see what happens.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:51 AM
SC8Derek

I am New to tuning these engines and its a Learning curve for sure! But One thing i will say Mine Is the Same as far as Throttle Response "Instant" I just need the rest of the tune down and then i can have some fun
Old 12-31-2008, 04:59 PM
losifiend

Still breaking mine in and its been no hotter than 70*, so my temps stay at no more than 220*. I would expect it to run about 250* tuned.

Dont trust the temp guns though. If its trailing smoke that all that matters. just be sure to set the picton at BDC after every run. Lately I've just been using my temp gun to break motors in.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:17 PM
dhyde79

not using temp gun, using DX3S with nitro telemetry setup reading temp from the cooling head.......but, I suppose I really don't need to worry much, the truck's turning into a brushless monster soon so worrying about the temp on it for tuning is gonna be over.....
Old 01-01-2009, 04:51 PM
MadManAndrew

Why don't ya'll rename this the Official SC8 thread?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
losifiend

Got bored and decided to massage the stock motor. Hope to get better consumption and more snap. I'm running it tomorrow and hopefully hitting the track on Sat.
Basically just toop off some material and redirected the fuel from escaping through the exhaust port and taperd the bottom of the sleave so its allmost sharp. I didnt open up the ports because I still havent learned how to mess with the timing. Didnt want to ruin the sleave. This should also make it easier to start and hold a better tune.

Polished the rod and piston too.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:14 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do the stock tires wear? I mean, do they wear out quickly on pavement, do they keep their tread, etc..?? And are they really good for the track??
Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 PM
losifiend

They work fine. Tehy are pretty soft. They are not so good on grass though. I'm thinking about throwing on some bow ties on mine next time I hit the track to see how it shandles. The stock tires work fine on damp soil but tend to break too easily on dry loose soil.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Alpha Male
My Feedback: (11)

How do the stock tires wear? I mean, do they wear out quickly on pavement, do they keep their tread, etc..?? And are they really good for the track??
The stock tires are almost an all terraine tire, like maybe for a rally car or something. I don't think that they will last too long if you plan to spend most of your time driving on the street, though. They don't give you a whole lot of traction under any conditions. In loose dirt they slide around quite a bit, which keeps the truck from flipping over so easily, but makes it feel like the tail end is drifting in the turns. They work fine, I just prefer a tighter grip on the ground.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 PM
nitroade

Just picked up my SC8, finished the break in over the weekend but left the truck in the shop on display for a few more days. People are loving the look of the truck, but they are a little freaked out by the price tag LOL. Break in was easy, but rounded the roto-start shaft on the first try. I swear the thing is made of balsa wood. My LHS has already ordered another on warranty but I think I'll be picking up a starter box. From the pics in the thread, seems like the Bully Dog version is popular... Looking forward to some warmer weather so I can start tuning for performance. Any parts that are prone to break thus far?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61145.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1155034  
Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 AM
dhyde79

I shattered an upper front arm and the bumper assembly in a crash with an 1/8 scale buggy, in a skate park.....unfortunately, breaking isn't the problem, my LHS has had the bumper parts on back order since it happened around christmas.....
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
losifiend

ORIGINAL: dhyde79

I shattered an upper front arm and the bumper assembly in a crash with an 1/8 scale buggy, in a skate park.....unfortunately, breaking isn't the problem, my LHS has had the bumper parts on back order since it happened around christmas.....
Losi parts house is your friend.All parts are in stock and shipping is fast. I live a few miles from them so I get my parts the next day[8D][link]http://www.losipartshouse.com/servlet/the-ASC-SC8-cln-Suspension-Parts/Categories[/link]
Old 03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
dhyde79

Nah, my LHS is my friend, they take care of me when I need help, a website store can't do that....besides, my LHS is across the street from my house
Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM
WPGguy

ORIGINAL: dhyde79
my LHS is across the street from my house
Care to sell said house?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
dhyde79

It's a rented one, and you can have it if you want, I just bought one that's a few blocks away....
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 PM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

I just got me an SC8 I bought it used I am not sure how it was broken in. The guy I bought it from said that in was broken in by the manual. Ran 2 tanks of fuel through it?? I just hope he meant two takes through it after breakin. I am new to the RC vehicle game. I know that this may not be the best first truck but it sure looks good. I got the Red Bull body. I will be running it here on the base in Iraq and getting fuel may be a pain. I may have to go elec. even if I don't want to. What kind of success have you guys had with the stock setups and what can be done to make it handle better. Also it has a Spektrum radio with it, what can be set in the radio so that it can help me with the control of the truck. The radio is the DX3s.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome.. Make a vid..
Old 05-06-2009, 05:06 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Here is a picture or two
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68067.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1193174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37564.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1193175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85985.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1193176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50034.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1193177  
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM
dhyde79

ORIGINAL: DGUY

I just got me an SC8 I bought it used I am not sure how it was broken in. The guy I bought it from said that in was broken in by the manual. Ran 2 tanks of fuel through it?? I just hope he meant two takes through it after breakin. I am new to the RC vehicle game. I know that this may not be the best first truck but it sure looks good. I got the Red Bull body. I will be running it here on the base in Iraq and getting fuel may be a pain. I may have to go elec. even if I don't want to. What kind of success have you guys had with the stock setups and what can be done to make it handle better. Also it has a Spektrum radio with it, what can be set in the radio so that it can help me with the control of the truck. The radio is the DX3s.

the DX3s is a great radio, and so far, what I've found, the easiest way to make it handle better is to convert to brushless....preferrably lipo powered, but, if that's not an option, you'll want to run 18 cells NiMH, keep it geared conservative if not on lipo, if lipo'd gear it as tall as you can without overheating things, and I'd probably use the Mamba Monster Max with 2650kv motor combo to do it, then you could gear down a little, and still maintain plenty of speed....the throttle/brake control you have by going brushless is spectacular, and does marvelous things for making the SC8 handle better.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.