Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Warning: .26 = DO not buy!!

Old 05-29-2003, 10:17 PM
ridethelightnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning: .26 = DO not buy!!

I just wanted to give a review of the .26 engine that I purchased for my Ofna Titan.

Now let me first start off by saying that I am not new to RC cars/planes and this has not been my first engine that I have tuned.

I was warned by others at the local race track that I frequent, when I was talking about purchasing a Picco .26, but I thought maybe the people who were tuning these engines did not understand what they were doing.

I started the breakin process and everything went relatively smooth. Actually, the Picco was easier to break in, at first, than my Rody C5 or even .25 Force.

However, when breaking in the engine, I did notice that I really had to keep fattening (richen) the engine because it seemed to want to run hot.

After the initial breakin process was complete, (6 tanks @ 250cc) I took the Titan to the track to get a few test laps in. The engine started with ease and idled fine but when I set the truck on the ground and I would move off idle to go foward the engine would sputter and kill. Because of this I continued to try and lean out the high speed needle HSN and the LSN 1/8 turn just enough to I could get the truck to move. I wanted to keep the engine on the rich side to keep the temps down.

I then found if I increased the RPM by using the trim adjustment on the radio that this worked the best, however, I then found that my problem was any time that I was mid throttle or farther open and when quickly close the throttle position (idle) the engine would kill.

I played with the both the HSN and LSN for a few hours and in this time I would also go back to the factory recommended settings for breakin to get my bearings straight.

To make a very long and frustrating story short, I finally was able to half-arse the engine and get it to run by upping the idle really high and leaning the heck out of the motor. By doing this I was able to get a couple of laps on the track without it stalling but the engine had no power and I was easily getting passed by others whereas I should have had a heck of a lot more power than I did. My ported .25 force had much more power. Unless I leaned the engine out it sputtered so bad I would have to make a u-turn on the track and come in so I could lean it out which then I had temp issues. Now I took it easy the first tank or two on the track cause I was still in the breakin stage but the Titan has a 250cc tank so after about 8 tanks I was ready to do some laps of varying speed.

I also forgot to mention that after I was finished breaking in the engine at idle, I sealed up the engine because I thought I had an airleak causing it to run rich. This didn't seem to help because the engine would still increase/decrease at rpm at idle.

At first ,I thought that maybe I had a lemon but after talking to other that own this engine they too have or had similiar problems. They fixed the issue by selling their engine or returning it.

Anways, I am sorry for the length of this post but I just wanted to share my experience with any of you that are/were considering getting this engine. I hope you take my advice and stay away from this engine until these issues have been resolved by the mfger.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Justintoxicated

Default Warning: .26 = POS DO not buy!!

so what the hell should i put in my savage then? heh
Old 05-29-2003, 10:43 PM
bubbafien
My Feedback: (1)

when you said you turned up you iidle on your RADIO it helped,

however, I then found that my problem was any time that I was mid throttle or farther open and when quickly close the throttle position (idle) the engine would kill.

this sounds to me like the idle screw is not turned up enough.
i would turn the idle screw up and the trim down.
just a suggestion might not work but worth a try

good luck
bubbafien
Old 05-29-2003, 11:34 PM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

woohoo complaint #1 out of 1.000.000.00 engines probly sold by now
i think you got a limon and you should call ofna adn explain and they will help you get another!!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:23 AM
Ledgendary
Banned

Default This engine just came out did it not?

I highly doubt that there is anywhere near 1,000,000 sold! I doubt that there is even 10,000 sold yet! He did also say that he had friends that said it was junk didn't he? I like the idea of getting the hottest new thing out but, I also hate to waste money so, I leave it up to others to buy it and tell me whether it is junk or not! I did not buy a newer Maxx for this reason!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:27 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

ywah hummmmmmmm well i will fire mine up tomorrow and let everyonr know?!
Old 05-30-2003, 12:37 AM
bubbafien

if you are little piston what are you doing with a .26?!

bubbafien
Old 05-30-2003, 12:40 AM
James1701

Maybe Pico guys hired the Traxxas engineers after they finished the 2.5 LOL LOL
Old 05-30-2003, 01:11 AM
bubbafien

james 1701
what is that supposed to mean that the .26 is that good or the 2.5 is that bad?

if you are suggesting the 2.5 isn't a good design i think you are totally wrong! it is a strong and reliable runner and was dyno'd as the MOST powerful small block.

bubbafien
Old 05-30-2003, 01:29 AM
James1701

That was a joke for the ones with all the 2.5 trouble. Relax ok.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:27 AM
ridethelightnin

this sounds to me like the idle screw is not turned up enough.
Thanks for the suggestion but I tried that. After turning up the idle screw actually seemed to make matters worse by causing the engine to surge (rev up and down). IT was acting like it had a massive air leak but I was very careful to seal everything up and I took the engine apart again and inspected the o-rings just to be sure I didn't nick one when I installed the carb.

Anways, to those who think that I may just have a lemon well that's possible. But I have talked to others at the track I go to and once they found out what engine I was running, as I was sputtering down the track, they told me of similiar horror stories.

Maybe there is some design flaw or manufacturing flaw in these engines that some are good but most are bad. I hope others that have had similiar problems (good and bad) add their comments.

My purpose for starting this thread was not intended to trash talk this engine but to inform others of the problems that I have had and alos the problems that others have had as well. The more I look into this matter the more unhappy customers I have run across.

littlepiston

I was like you when I bought my motor, I was warned but I didn't listen. I hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:02 AM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

By chance do you run a filter on it? Ive had the same problems as you, and come to find out the fuel filter was messed up, the o-ring had pretty much self destructed and in order to get the tight fit, I had smashed the end of the filter element, thus causeing the engine to run unconsistantly and over heat. After I replaced the o-ring all was slightly fixed and power increased, but still had problems, then I just put a new filter on and bamn the engine came alive with a little tuning!! No problems since the change!!
Now this was my expierience(sp) so I just thought Id give you something to think about!!
Old 05-30-2003, 04:04 AM
new72Savage

Grrrr.. there goes my replacement idea for the savage. everyone says it screams, and i was even considering going against it because the issue of too much power to control in the vehicle.

What about the hyper 8 port, that seems to be the next most popular replacement. any horror stories with that one. Lord knows the stock .21 is giving me fits.

I hear the c5 is an incredibly powerful and reliable engine. Whats the skinny on that one? How many mods are required to fit it to the savage?
Old 05-30-2003, 04:05 AM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

man thats really sucks.

nothing worse than getting a crappy product and expectin g a good one.
id do like littlepiston said and call ofna and tell them. mayeb if nothign else then can replace it and if it still sucks ass hen you know for a fact its the engine and not the owner(s).
Old 05-30-2003, 04:07 AM
ridethelightnin

Yes, I do use a filter and I will have to check this out. I didn't even think about the fuel filter leaking but I replaced all my fuel lines thinking my GFs cockatiel may have pecked a hole in one of the lines. lol

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-30-2003, 04:19 AM
ridethelightnin

There were a few times when I would hit the "sweet spot" with this motor and it has ungodly amount of low to mid range. I never got a lot out of the top end but it wasn't running right either.

One of my friends at the track who also has a C5 stated that the day before I was there that there was a guy who's .26 was running with his C5. However, the guy with th .26 said told my buddy that he had a hell of a time getting his engine to run decent but when it did it had a heck of a lot of bottom and top end.

As for the Hyper 8 port, I know two guys that run them and they are very good dependable engines and can compete with the high end engines. They may not win down the back straight away but they will hang. Good motor but tight as hell to break in but any good high compression engine is going to be tight. You will need to turn it over my hand using a wrench or a drill hooked up to it.

The RB concept C5 or WS7s are excellent engines. If you don't mind spending the money they are great engines and worth the price. To bad they're French though!! lol

The Novarassi Black Magics run really well at the track too.

However, I would go with a C5 or Ws7. I went with the .26 because of the price and I guess I may have gotten what I paid for which is a big piece of dog dung. However, I am going to check my fuel filter to make sure it wasn't leaking or messed up.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:32 AM
cemeb4dk

We have to keep the replies comming. I just ordered my .26 cause i've heard nothing but good. this is the first bad story i have heard. It figures after i order mine and a couple of hundred other things to go along with it....
Old 05-30-2003, 04:37 AM
new72Savage

Same, here first bad post at any of the sites and s-c and a lot on the .26.

ALL THE .26 OWNERS KEEP THE REPLIES COMING!! this is where the rubber meets the road for all us would be purchasers.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:55 AM
ridethelightnin

http://pub77.ezboard.com/fofnaracingnitrotalkbackfrm26

Try this link it's from the OFNA message board. I posted as 1badhyper7 to start some discussions on this and to get help.

If someone can help determine what the cause of the problems I am having, I will gladly recind my statement and start another postive thread. But until then, I shall hold my ground and firmly state "don't buy this engine"!!

I know and have talked to three guys who have problems. 3 out of three all had problems and 2 out of the three have either sold them on e-bay or sent them back to Nitrohouse where they purchased them.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:23 AM
DFF

To bad they're French though!! lol

Ha Ha Ha I've a C5 Sav and I am French LoL

For the problem with the Picco .26, it is a flaw in the carb.

I don't have one, but there was a whole thread about it and how to fix this thing. I remember there was something with a chewed-up o-ring inside carb.

Too bad the MaxxTraxx is down (again !), but when it comes back to life, go there, watch the Sav forum (I am the mod) and do a search on Picco .26. Or better, post a new thread and I am sure someone will reply to help you out.

I am 100% sure and positive that the culprit of your problem has been highlighted there and that there is a fix to it...

And yeah, the C5 is an awesome engine, high quality, high power, screaming engine. Too bad it is so expensive and doesn't come with a pull start.

Rody, the master of all R&B engine is working on a new project, called C6 which will be an oversized engine. Trust me, this one will KICK SOME MAJOR B.T.

Since then, I'll wait on the Sirio .27 11 port.

The .26 is not bad of an engine, it does have more low end than my C5 and almost same top end... That's head to head comparison on my local track. Too bad they rushed it out and have some quality issue related to the carb.

What version of .26 do you have ? Did you find a spare carb needle in your package ?

Hope this help.

DFF
Old 05-30-2003, 12:49 PM
bigbadbowtie

maxx traxx is not down..... just have to enter through a link.

http://216.22.104.127/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi
Old 05-30-2003, 06:12 PM
bubbafien

the c5 is a good engine but a guzzler and a tick harder to tune than the ws7. i would personally go with the ws7 or wait and get the ws7II. the hyper 8 port is also an awesome engine.

bubbafien
Old 05-30-2003, 06:41 PM
DFF

Yes, that's what's most ppl say about the C5.

I never tried a S7 before, but all I can say is my C5 hold very well the tune and it's not that difficult to tune.

But what I like most about it is the speed and the screaming sound This engine pulls rpm like it will never end. Prolly one of the most rpm you can get off a .21 engine.

It's because it is a 11 port with exhaust bypass and as well because it's derivated from the C5 on-road engine.

It will blow a 8 port, has maybe a tad less low end than a WS7 but kill them both in pure speed.

And yes, it is not very fuel efficient, but I can get 8-9 minutes out of the oversized 180 cc Sav fuel tank.

Been very happy and lucky with it so far and my only grief would be the break-in that was the most difficult I ever had ( can you say TIGHT piston / sleeve fit LoL )

I would only replace it when the C6 oversized R&B engine will show-up.

Anyway, my opinion is that you can't go wrong with R&B, WS7 or C5, you'll be happy with both.

I'll reserve my judgment on the 8 port as I have read so many horror stories... but if you're lucky, I think it has an awesome price / perf ratio.

DFF
Old 05-30-2003, 06:46 PM
bubbafien

i don't know about blow em away but those engines are screamers! they suck to break in also my novarossi medial pro m2k was so tight during break in!

bubbafien
Old 05-30-2003, 07:01 PM
ridethelightnin

DFF

Thanks for the info, I will call OFNA today and ask if they have a replacement carb. There wasn't any spare carb needle in my box.

Anyways thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.