Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Is XTM Mammoth St Pro good enough for race ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Is XTM Mammoth St Pro good enough for race ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
jerry9855

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is XTM Mammoth St Pro good enough for race ?

I saw hoppypeople has promotion on XTM Mammoth St Pro. Is this truggy good for race ? how about the quality ?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 PM
darksoul242001

Default RE: Is XTM Mammoth St Pro good enough for race ?

All I will say is that you should honestly wait and get yourself something a better if your intentions are to race. The only reason is that I've been down the XTM road before and so have most of us in the forum. My neighboor and I started with XTM and have moved on to better trucks. The best RTR race roller as most of us here have mentioned before is the Losi 8t. Granted that it is higher in price it is the best RTR level truck for racing. I would recommend the Losi 8t, Jammin X2 or X1X crt, Mugen MBX5T, RC8T and even the Hyper St. I know that most trucks may be expensive but it beats the wrenching time later on. I've learned that it is better to buy something good from the start so that you can spend more time having fun. I have driven the Losi, Jammin and other ofna series trucks and believe me any of these trucks make a big difference compared to the Mammoth. The price of the Mammoth St is what makes the deal so sweet but the XTM trucks have issues with the diffs. My friend used to race his. The XTM crew races at my track but they use the new truggy which is the XTM XST. At $249 for a Mammoth kit of course. But for durability you must add the front A-arms and dadders braces to make this thing great. So the cost in the long run will put you over $400 anyways. Save a little longer and check out what other people race at your track and you should be fine. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 PM
IloveMYxt2

Actually many people like the ST Pro and race with it. If your running a center differential and not a 2 speed tranny, you wont have problems with the differentials. The 2 speed tranny is what kills the diffs in the XLB, Mammoth, and MMT. Get rid of the junk 2 speed and add a center diff and many problems will be solved. The Pro comes with a center diff, so problem solved. The Pro comes with 7075 aluminum chassis so that helps flex a whole lot. Its really a nice kit.

I will say though stay away from the MMT if your into bashing or racing. Its not made for those.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:40 AM
jerry9855

Yes i will only run center diff. I have not see any racer run XTM mammoth st pro at local racing track so I need more advise from you guys. Thank you.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM
binaryterror

The Mammoth works, but its suspension has needed work for years to even be competitive.

I used to be in tight with the XTM guys, hate to say it they are stuck in their ways and will not be competitive until they listen or look around.

I would not recommend an XTM for racing. You are far better off with a more common truck at the truck like and 8T or Jammin.

Spending more early may hurt your pocket book, but the maintenance and upkeep on an XTM will make you hate racing.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

if you dont know to stay away from xtm after 2 years in this hobby you should get the mammoth and try to race it then the only ones with xtms are new to this want cheap stuff or just retards so you make the choice
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 PM
aric38

ORIGINAL: darksoul242001

All I will say is that you should honestly wait and get yourself something a better if your intentions are to race. The only reason is that I've been down the XTM road before and so have most of us in the forum. My neighboor and I started with XTM and have moved on to better trucks. The best RTR race roller as most of us here have mentioned before is the Losi 8t. Granted that it is higher in price it is the best RTR level truck for racing. I would recommend the Losi 8t, Jammin X2 or X1X crt, Mugen MBX5T, RC8T and even the Hyper St. I know that most trucks may be expensive but it beats the wrenching time later on. I've learned that it is better to buy something good from the start so that you can spend more time having fun. I have driven the Losi, Jammin and other ofna series trucks and believe me any of these trucks make a big difference compared to the Mammoth. The price of the Mammoth St is what makes the deal so sweet but the XTM trucks have issues with the diffs. My friend used to race his. The XTM crew races at my track but they use the new truggy which is the XTM XST. At $249 for a Mammoth kit of course. But for durability you must add the front A-arms and dadders braces to make this thing great. So the cost in the long run will put you over $400 anyways. Save a little longer and check out what other people race at your track and you should be fine. Just my 2 cents.
+1
Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 PM
IloveMYxt2

ORIGINAL: TRIPPLE A STRONG

if you dont know to stay away from xtm after 2 years in this hobby you should get the mammoth and try to race it then the only ones with xtms are new to this want cheap stuff or just retards so you make the choice

How old are you tripple cause your one annoying immature punk.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:01 AM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

AND YOU ARE ONE STUPID PUNK DIDDENT YOU LEARN ABOUT GIVVING THAT BAD ADVICE STOP TRYING TO MAKE OTHERS PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKE YOU 25 YEAR OLD FOOL
Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 AM
IloveMYxt2

Ok stocker. Your still 11 and on the internet. Calm down tough guy.

Anyways, back to the show.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:23 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You guys both have invalid points.

In ThunderbirdJunkie's experience, XTM's 1/8 scales are tough...but handle like they're made by Peterbilt, and the parts are ridiculously expensive.

If you are looking for something for the same price as the Mammoth ST, get a used, race-ready CRT.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 PM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

well if thunderbird junkies experienced it i gues he is corect we dont want to go against his expert xtm verdict seeing how he is in the third person catagorey
Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 AM
TRIPPLE A STRONG
Banned

ORIGINAL: IloveMYxt2

Ok stocker. Your still 11 and on the internet. Calm down tough guy.

Anyways, back to the show.
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 AM
rclynx

You can take the advise of anyone you want but the promo on the Mammoth Pro doesn't get any better for a kit at that price and no it won't cost you any more to be top notch competitive than any of the other Truggy builders. Most of the Nay sayers didn't and don't have the knowledge to make a truck that is race worthy on a race track and have no business giving advise about an old Tamyia Frog let alone a truggy kit.......Oh and buy the way there were some great racers that have owned a Frog [&:] I happen to like the XTM products and they are no worse or better than any other RC on the market. The whole key to what I'm saying is that someone with the knowledge to race and or make a truck race worthy could make a Redcat run in top compitition if they had a mind to. If you really want to learn how to race, buy what ever you want, its a learning curve that very few are really willing to do. But if you really want to try, the Mammoth Pro Kit cannot be beat on or off the track if you can learn to make it that way. Other wise buy a Revo and replace parts, thats the only easy novice way to go [:-] [X(]
Old 12-14-2008, 10:47 AM
nissan300ztt

Dude for the price why not just get an OFNA HYPER 7 TQ Black Edition. Its gonna come with a pretty decent hyper.21 engine. And with a few minor upgrades. Its a fast buggy. And def race worthy. Just check out the videos on youtube youll see.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I won't deny that there are probably more nimble and more race tuned trucks out there, but you don't need it to start racing. I gave up on competing with the Jones a long time ago. I can't afford it and I still have fun racing. I always run buggies/truggies that are 1-2 generations back and I buy them used. There isn't an entry barrier to racing beyond what you are comfortable in spending. If you like the Mammoth ST Pro and the price is right, go do it. Will it put you at the top of the A-Main at your track? Maybe, maybe not, but the truck is good enough to make a good driver competitive and determine whether they want to keep racing.

You might want to also take a look at the Ofna Mutilator RTR or OFNA Mutilator PRO RTRs as a low barrier entry into truggy racing.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM
jerry9855

I got pro kit today. the price is great only $149.99. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM
darksoul242001

ORIGINAL: jerry9855

I got pro kit today. the price is great only $149.99. Thank you.
Sweet deal! Take your time and get to know how the parts are assembled and lock tite the metal to metal parts. Check the diff seals and take it easy for a little bit so that parts can seat properly. Then you can go out there and give it a good beating. Take it out to the track and take some jumps to see how it handles. And don't use 40 series tires!! Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
rclynx

A Mammoth Pro kit comes with 40 series rims and tires [sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 PM
darksoul242001

Well then use them up then switch over to LPRs or something else. The truck will handle better.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TRIPPLE A STRONG

well if thunderbird junkies experienced it i gues he is corect we dont want to go against his expert xtm verdict seeing how he is in the third person catagorey
Alot of spelling mistakes,But funny none the less....