Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Getting into Nitro trucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
shrtstop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into Nitro trucks

sorry for the newb post but hopefully someone can help and offer some advice.

I have been a plane guys for a few years now and a neighbor has been buzzing around in the street with a nitro truck lately and peeked my interest. I think I may be getting my first nitro RC truck much sooner than later. My request is for suggestions and also advice.

My experience has been mainly in electric planes and so I want a nitro car/truck for the noise and smell My question is how much up keep and tuning goes into keeping the car running? I know that is a loaded question but any ballpark advice would help.

Also I would love some car recommendations...I checked out the LHS and of course the bigger is cooler and better caught my eye. They had a Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 that looked pretty sweet. I basically want something that I can take out of my garage and run up and down the street and occasionally maybe find some true off road dirt to kick up. I would like it to be pretty tough so that I dont spend more time fixing than playing.

Thanks for any advice
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Getting into Nitro trucks

The new T-Maxx 3.3 4908 is the pinnacle of the T-Maxx legacy. It would be a great choice for a first nitro truck. Traxxas trucks come with a DVD and good instructions. Parts availability will never be a problem for that thing and customer support is really good. The T-Maxx has come a long way since its introduction. I think it would meet your criteria.

Also take a look at the HPI Savage XL or Savage X 4.6. Those are super strong and fun trucks.

The Assoicated Monster GT 4.6SE or Monster GT 8.0 are great and reliable trucks.

The Team Losi Aftershock is a good one too.

Anyone of those above would meet your needs. Pick the one you like best.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: shrtstop

sorry for the newb post but hopefully someone can help and offer some advice.

I have been a plane guys for a few years now and a neighbor has been buzzing around in the street with a nitro truck lately and peeked my interest. I think I may be getting my first nitro RC truck much sooner than later. My request is for suggestions and also advice.

My experience has been mainly in electric planes and so I want a nitro car/truck for the noise and smell My question is how much up keep and tuning goes into keeping the car running? I know that is a loaded question but any ballpark advice would help.

Also I would love some car recommendations...I checked out the LHS and of course the bigger is cooler and better caught my eye. They had a Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 that looked pretty sweet. I basically want something that I can take out of my garage and run up and down the street and occasionally maybe find some true off road dirt to kick up. I would like it to be pretty tough so that I dont spend more time fixing than playing.

Thanks for any advice
The key here as you say,you would like to spend more time playing than fixing.With that being said,T-MAXX surely ISNT the way to go.Look around and find trucks that YOU like,then come and search these forums and find the pros and cons of each,and go with what is accaptable to YOU.Some people like to work on them more than others,so what they think is best wouldnt suit your taste at all.Most people think that whatever they own is the absolute best.Do your own homework and trust your gut.These forums have enough information on ANY vehicle to make an informed decision.Though I dont own one now,but have in the past,I would recommend having a look at LOSI trucks.Good luck
Old 12-04-2008, 01:03 PM
dezracing

i own every truck mention minus any losi my suggsetion would be to look at the savage or the mgt the mgt is a good truck minus one plastic gear in the tranny but they fixed that with the 8.0 the savage is in my books still one of the best to start with easy to tune and very strong plus there parts for them at any hobby store the t-maxx that i have has the least amount of run time and for some reason it just not for me minus my revo and jato run good maybe a lemon who knows
Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Oh, and people are VERY biased towards manufacturers, so you will get a lot of Pepsi vs. Coke type discussion. They are all good trucks honestly. I would tend to lean towards the MGT 8.0 or Savage XL if I was going to buy a new truck, but I also really like the new TMaxx 4908 since a Maxx first got me into nitro many years ago.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 PM
shrtstop

Thanks a lot guys already.

What about the revo 3.3 I have seen a bunch of people talk about how this is better than the t-maxx. Also what is a good price for the revo 3.3?
Also what else will I need to buy aside from just the car...I have to stick to a budget and that may end up swaying me to something smaller unfortunately if I have to buy a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

youre better off getting the revo3.3 than tmaxx...im not sure if the revo comes with a starter kit.but usually u need a glow plug igniter,a battery pack for your receiver and 8 aa batts for the radio,a gallon of nitro and maybe a spare glow plug..try to talk to your neighbor and see what he have .ask him how he likes his truck ?ask if he regret buyin it or he likes it.basically your looking to spend around 50bux more after u buy the truck..
Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 PM
nissan300ztt

Dude you can get a HPI MT2 G3.0 or a REVO 2.5 as a nice starter truck.. They are nice to drive easy to tune. And they are pretty tough.