Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Best Stock, "Out of box" nitro truck. Savage, revo, MGT, lst2?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Best Stock, "Out of box" nitro truck. Savage, revo, MGT, lst2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 AM
superelf
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Stock, "Out of box" nitro truck. Savage, revo, MGT, lst2?

OK I may as well throw my 3 cents in, I have all the trucks you mentioned, 2 mgt's, savage x, savage xl and the losi lst 2. No revo's but have raced a lot of them and drove a few, they and the losi are the best handeling trucks on the track stock. Revo are not for bashing unless you want to work on them all the time. Speed wise the losi's and savage's are the fastest.revos are close to ,mgt' is heavier than all the above, I have the mgt's set up with rpm arms, roll cages, and a lrp motor, with lower 40 size wheels and tires, it will race pretty good with the revos, and if you hit and run over them you always win. Very hard to set up the MGT's to wheelie on command, same with the losi, now the savages are lighter and maybe more fun to drive, and wheelies are to easy, throttle managment is a must. The stock mgt tires ballon way up when full speed and hurts handeling. new tires and wheels are a must. LIke others have said the losi radios are the best but you are paying for it. If I had to have only one truck, it would be a tough call between the losi lst2 and the savage xl, both easy to work on and really light and fun to drive and bash. The mgt's are like tanks and were our 1st trucks, I still love to bash that heavy monster, set up correctly they are a great truck and easy to work on. OH yea I also have the new mgt 8 pretty much the same truck bigger motor and a few other changes, haven't bashed it, It's to pretty , more of a cruiser and shelf queen, and boy does it suck the nitro down, Savage and losi get much better run times than the others. Thanks for letting me share, mike in denver.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

I would make a big long post to argue with you MMA but its not worth it. It has been done over and over with you and HPI Savage RC and you guys never give up and face the truth (THE SAVAGE ISN"T THE BEST THING EVER). You get proved wrong and make some retard responce to it. Seriously it gets old.
LOL... So where was I "proved wrong"? A bunch of fanboys telling everyone how much better the Revo is without stating actual facts or providing evidence is not proof by any means. The only people making retarded comments are those who state that a stock Revo is more durable than a Savage. It's just not going to happen.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:25 AM
S.R.G.
My Feedback: (4)

Savage = bashing. For everything else, I go Revo. I love my Revo, and came from a Redcat Tornado BB to the Revo, and best choice I have made. I have hit a culvert going 40 mph with my Revo with no busted, warped, or scratched parts (except front bumper = scratch). Revo is fast, fast, fast and a great build.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:10 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: S.R.G.

Savage = bashing. For everything else, I go Revo. I love my Revo, and came from a Redcat Tornado BB to the Revo, and best choice I have made. I have hit a culvert going 40 mph with my Revo with no busted, warped, or scratched parts (except front bumper = scratch). Revo is fast, fast, fast and a great build.
That is what I'm talking about! Surprisingly, the Revo is actually a much more rounded vehicle than most think (even I was decieved by the Revo coming from the few experiences I had with T-Maxx). Get some Revo RPM arms, and your revo will never fail a race on account of chassis of suspension breaking. And even more so, they make the Revo a much more bash-worth RC than T-Maxx. No, the Revo might not be as hard-core bashable as a Savage or LST2, but it can actually hang on its own right while bashing.

Anyone who makes the sacrifice to spend teh additional $75 to get a Revo over a T-Maxx will not be disappointed. And surprisingly, the Revo is actually a very simple RC for the beginner as well. EZ-Start helps a ton, no glow-plug ignitor to worry about, no finagling the ball end of the wand of a roto starter hand held, just teh batt hand helf of EZ start to do both.

And when you want to race, you can buy a race-grade engine to put into Revo and you can box-start it (thus allowing you to remove the heavy EZ start gear). And the amount of aftermarket hop-ups are virtually unlimited, so you can pick and choose pieces to make your Revo into a serious racer, all you would need to add is teh driving skill to put those race-grade features to the track.
The Revo will literally take you from beginner all the way to professional expert racer (if you can become such a racer, I know if I had mad skills, I would love to race and get all the great perks of sponsorship)
Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 AM
jusleanit

lst2. ready to go outta the box w/decent electronics. if u go REVO, try and keep it as close to stock as u possibly can
Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM
KRO

I like the LST2 , for all the points made above .... Though my brushless E REVO is getting LOTS of drive time lately and might become my truck of choice ....
Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I can't believe no one is mentioning the MGT 8.0![&:] Good luck finding an MT with more power. It's easy to work on, very durable, easy to start and run, good FM computer radio, parts are plentiful and fairly cheap. It will drag any of these other MT's around all day long. If you don't believe me go on Youtube and search. I've seen it pulling T-MAXX 3.3's and Savage XL 5.9's around like they're not even running! This is also a truck that my buddy has and I've been able to compare it to a Savage X, T-MAXX, and REVO in real life several times and the MGT 8.0 whoops all over them every time. I've never seen one in comparison to an LST2 so I can't make a comparison their, but my friends and I aren't the biggest Losi fans. When we had them as kids they broke CONSTANTLY. The guy that had the REVO sold it almost immediately for an 8.0 and the guy with the MAXX is saving money to buy an 8.0. Poor guy with the Savage just won't run with us anymore. All of these MT's are great trucks, but the MGT 8.0 is just the big boy out of all of them. Plus the Savage XL and the MGT are the only ones that are almost truly 8th scale.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran with one yesterday on the track.. Granted it was still in pretty much RTR mode, but it was sure no LST2.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the LST2, followed by the Savage or Savage XL.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:40 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

To be honest

All this "Best handling truck" talk is bunk.

The only way to truly know which truck is FOR YOU, is to buy all of 'em, and run them all into the ground, and sell whichever you do not like.

You can make a Savage handle well
You can make a Revo or LST2 durable
You can make any of them ridiculously fast
And they will all cream your Tsunami on the track.

However, durability-wise, if you're just bashing around...Screw the XL, get the Savage X 4.6. If handling is important, buy HPI's red springs for it (they are softer...contrary to what many believe, the way to make a truck handle better is not always to go stiffer...ESPECIALLY in the Savage's case)

You have to remember...the Savage is built to take BIG AIR out of the box, and as such, it has stiff springs. A simple spring change will make it handle just as well as an LST.

But, no matter which truck you buy, you will be infinitely happier with it than the Tsunami.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
tzque

Throwing my hat in the ring . It has been a long time . If you read enough of these threads you will see you cant go wrong with any of them . I have driven all of them and they do something different . I will never be on a race track but the Revo is alot of fun .
If you wanted me to grab a truck the is alot of fun take a beating and is easy to repair I am going to Grab my MGT . For me it does a little bit of everything well . Not the best at one specific thing but is a good overall truck . Bottomline pick one you will buy another model
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Beer&Meat

MGT8.0 or the Revo.
MGT is great for bashing (durable), Lots of power and FAST. also very easy to work on
Revo is also great for bashing (durable), a decent amount of power and VERY FAST. A little harder to work on but still quite easy even for a beginner.My 3.3 will keep up with most big blocks, bashing or on a straight.