Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

2.5 Traxxas Engine Break In / Expected life??

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

2.5 Traxxas Engine Break In / Expected life??

Old 06-06-2003, 06:57 PM
phil313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Traxxas Engine Break In / Expected life??

Hello,
I am brand new to this hobby. I have not even purchased a truck yet (out of stock everywhere). But while doing research I noticed this break in period being emphasized? What exactly do you do? Also how long do these engines general last and what is the replacement cost? THanks!! I am trying to gauge what I am getting into for the possible future costs!

THanks!
Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 PM
maxxdaddy74

Default What I would suggest for first truck

I have three different gas vehicles now and let me tell you why. I started out with a T-Maxx about 4 months ago (brand new 2.5). I followed the break-in procedure exactly the way Traxxas indicates. The engine ran fine through the break-in period and then started stalling on the 6th or 7th tank. I could live with it until I started going to organized events and not being able to complete one race without breaking something. This was'nt fun since I live 1hr away and only ran 2-3 laps before having some sort of problem. This prompted me to start adding hop-ups to make the truck more durable. Then one of my daughters wanted to race too, so I bought a RC10GT and quickly found it was too fast for her at the age of 9yrs. I figured I would race both or one if the other broke. I probably put close to $1500 in hop-ups including the new Sirio on my Maxx in order to get it where it runs consistently now except for the occasional blown rear Diff. Hope to solve it with the spool. I still had to find something my daughter could drive and be able to compete at the same time. The guy at my LHS pointed me in the direction of the Savage and man I could have saved allot of time and money if I had looked at one sooner. Granted I love my Maxx even if it needs a little work now and then but the Savage is definitely more of a truck for a beginner. I'm not putting it down because I think its a awesome truck it just needs a little more top speed and a better set of rims because they seem to be kind of loose. Both of these problems can be fixed for less than $150. I suggest you take a look at this thing before jumping into a Maxx unless you have a about $400 to spend on hop-ups. Both trucks are awesome but it just depends on what you expect from your investment. By the way my daughter made me look like a 2yr old on the track the very first time out with her driving the Savage and me the Maxx. Take a wild guess at who broke on the 3rd lap ( blew another diff ).
Old 06-09-2003, 05:13 AM
tjmaxx

Default 2.5 Traxxas Engine Break In / Expected life??

The T-maxx is an awsome truck. I have had mine for like 6 months now and I still love it. I do have alot of money into it but no matter what truck I would of bought I would of put the money into hopups. I have put almost 3 gallons of gas through my engine now and it is still running. I would say get the T-maxx you wont regret it.