Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Break in question (Savage)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Justintoxicated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in question (Savage)

Right now im running the truck through its first tank and its spitting out liquid out the exhaust, is this normal? Made a small puddle on my table.

Also, there is little or no smoke, just green stuff coming out the exhaust, the fuel im using is blue!
Old 06-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Justintoxicated

how many tanks shoudl I leave the truck on the box with the wheels spinning? The manual says 2? then start driving it around...What shoudl I do? Sorry never had a nitro before
Old 06-07-2003, 12:53 AM
cemeb4dk

Follow the manual and be patient. The engine is running rich right now.

if the manual says 2 then run 2 tanks. Then let it cool and then do the circles. Don't full throttle, Just give it shorts blips of about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to clean engine out.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:13 AM
fourwheeler

Definately follow the manual and you will be happy with the truck when you get to open that throttle.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:05 PM
dirtdawg

the manual doesn`t say let idle for two tanks. it says idle 1 tank then let cool , start it again leave it on the box and slowly run it till full throttle to clean out the motor and exhaust. now start doing the circles.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:08 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

On your TABLE?

I hope your not running this thing indoors. Nitrp fuel is TOXIC!!

I would definitely reccomend a temperature probe. You can get an infrared probe from radio shack for like 30 bucks. Its the best investment I've made.
Temperature will tell you a lot about whats going on in the engine. You wanna run that thing at around 185-200'F(max) right now.

Its NORMAL for the engine to spit out a gooky mess. Thats the oil from your fuel. For now you'll notice that the engine will run fairly hot, but you wont get any perforamnce out of it. Thats because of all the internal friction betweekn the piston sleeve. Once they "get used to each other" and get snug, you'll notice a decrease in operating temperature. Then you can dial it in and run it at around 225-240.
-ram
Old 06-08-2003, 03:09 AM
Justintoxicated

the manual seems to indicate that oil will spill out of the exhaust at first. Your right the engin was running hot at first...I thougt I would let it idle 2 tanks instead of one just to be safe. It reminds me of breaking in my ATV (Liquid cooled Banshee). I know the manual said 1 tank but I don't see why 2 would hurt. If I remember right breaking the engin in is all about heat cycles as was mentioned above. Don't have money at the moment just spent $500 on this thing! But my first investments will be a fail safe, temp probe and Hump pack

I did bleep the throttle to clear out the engin a bit. And I drove it around for a tank and a half. After another tank and a half I guess it will be broken in. I hope im doing things right, but it seems to be running better each tank, can't wait to tune it! I hope it does not rain tomarrow!

THe only thing is I did the first tank circle on a hill (my driveway, I know its not ideal but I did by best to use throttle then let it cool over and over.

no im not running indoors
Sound like im doing things right?

Using Blue Thunder Sport fuel 20% I didn't know what gas to use but it seem to be the easiest to buy from the gallon and avoid the other horrible LHS.