Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Cut Maxx Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 02:18 AM
Turn&Burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut Maxx Tires???

Have any of you guy's ever cut every other tread off of your factory Maxx tires?? I had a friend of mine was telling me he heard that actually worked quite well for traction, and looked very mean......
Old 06-07-2003, 02:39 AM
Madd_Maxx

I didn't cut every other tread off but half of every other tread for a completely different look. They hook up great in just about everything I've ever ran my maxx in from mud to snow.

Here's a close up of the rear's after I finished them up

And here's the complete set all finished

Madd_Maxx
Old 06-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Turn&Burn

HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL YEA!!!! ......I hope you don't mind But my Dremel just turned on and is throwing rubber right now ........Looks awesome, How long did it take per tire???
Old 06-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Chuck Stunter

Nice custom dremel work Madd Maxx!!
Old 06-07-2003, 06:11 AM
tjmaxx

sweet how did you think to do that
Old 06-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Madd_Maxx

It really didn't take to long to do....maybe 2 hours for the set of 4. I got bored one rainy afternoon and the dremel was handy so I started to cut treads off with a hobby knife (just half of each lug) then finished smoothing it up with the dremel.
Big tip do this outside or in a WELL ventilated area the rubber does stink while you are dremeling and makes a pretty big mess with the rubber chunks flying around.

Guess I got the idea from a post I saw on one of the message boards about cutting the whole lug off each tire (every other one like puller tires) but I wanted something different that hadn't been seen before and came up with this pattern. It hooks up great in every thing I've thrown at it so far from mud to snow drifts in the winter.

NOTE: the stock tires will wear a little faster if you run them a lot on pavement cut like this but they DO make a cool sound. My cut tires are now a little over a year old and MANY gallons of fuel worth of use and still have lots of tread left so I would say GO FOR IT !!
Old 06-08-2003, 02:59 AM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

WOW!
Those do look cool!
Good job Mate.
Cool wheelie bar too.
What kin of motor are you running?
Old 06-08-2003, 06:03 AM
adeoliver
My Feedback: (4)

There was a few guys that did that over at the maxxtraxx forums, some of them even stuck screws on them and used them on frozen lakes and ponds, htose thires were pretty trick, kinda looked like mulchers only with steel spikes comeing through the treads instead of rubber.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Madd_Maxx

Bonefrost:

When those pics were taken it still had a stock TRX .15 in it with a double stacked head for extra cooling. The motor was plenty strong enough for me since I don't race and only backyard bash the TRX's seemed to work well for me. I had just over 9 gallons on that last one and it was just starting to get tempermental in the warmer temps here so I installed a new M-16 in it this week and just getting to go through the break in process with it. So far the M-16 seems to be a decent motor (starts second pull normally) and it's still in break in settings.

The wheelie bar on the back was something I came up with a year or so ago. Just because I'm to cheap to spend 20-40 bux on a chunk of aluminum that bends the first time you land a bad jump. The old suspension arm is FREE and almost indistructable (it's taken a beating and still hasn't broken in over a year's use) and the rest of it can be purchased at your LHS for less than 4-5 bux. The tires are airplane tailwheels mounted on a heavy piece of piano wire with locking collars holding it all together....total cost was right around 5 bux.

Madd_Maxx
Old 06-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

Cool.
I may fabricate one myself.

Good luck on the M16.
I've had 3 of them.
They start getting a little finnicky after a gallon,but they're great when they run.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:14 PM
tjmaxx

WOW nine gallons how long does the average engine last or how many gallons.